Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 10:50 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
Yeah -- don't vote for them.
If it were only that simple, as this works in theory. In practice, it's quite far from what history has shown.

Two quotes from George Carlin sum this up nicely...

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

Even the US founding fathers were aghast of how the typical American back then wasn't ready for democracy and almost wish the British had won the revolutionary war!

Old 12-29-2020, 11:02 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Well, I'll sleep a lot easier on Jan 21, 2021. Everything will be back the way it should be.
Me too, however, our troubles will continue. Trump is the symptom, not the cause of such issues. I recall post-WW2, Americans went over there to "de-NAZI-fy" the German people away from all the ideals of the 3rd Reich. Not unlike how someone who's been brainwashed into a cult needs to be "de-programmed". Who's going to clear the sickness that is Trumpism?

Rumor is, Trump will refuse to leave the WH. If nothing else I look forward to that much... him getting lead out in handcuffs. Hopefully, camera crews will be on standby to capture a good perp walk out of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Impossible,
Politics is the art of tricking people into supporting your idea thinking that you want the greater good for them
Basically, a politician is a professional scam artist

On top of that, greed is the root of all evil
IIRC, it was a US Senator that was asked whether or not people in Congress should be barred from purchasing stock. Instead of answering the question she gaslighted and I paraphrase, stuff about the American dream and their freedoms being taken away.

It's just a stark contrast because I recall spending a long time preparing for job interviews. Answer the question, keep your response short and to the point. FWIW, that's one area where corporate America (and other places that can competently interview and assess people) does well. If you ramble on about something else unrelated, and can't demonstrate that you know how to do a job you're being interviewed for*, then you won't get the job. Simple as that.

* I've heard from interviewers who hear such responses like that from time to time...
Q: Do you know how to use Microsoft Excel and run macros?
A: I love Excel! Excel is great! Many businesses use Excel to increase their productivity and collaborate!

Old 12-29-2020, 11:16 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
If record low unemployment, record high employment participation, energy independence, no new foreign wars and a decent economy are evil, then I'll take those every time the election rolls around.
Trump is the least war-like President that the United States has had in the last 50 years. And yet, the liberal Democrats say he is a “fascist.”

Just try to figure that one out. (You can’t)

Old 12-29-2020, 11:32 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Since this thread has devolved into a focus on the current U.S. Administration rather than on the more generalized premise of the OP, this thread has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates