Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 02:51 PM

5,532 posts, read 3,947,336 times

Advertisements

I'm definitely pro-'tactfulness', although I don't think I'd use the word prim to describe either my own way of speaking or my imagined ideal way of speaking...at all. I'd like to think I'm 'casually insightful' when at my best, lol. Primness can be off-putting in its own right, as it may cause your interlocutor to feel uncomfortable/tentative to offer his/her own thoughts, if they fear they can't match the tone that you're setting.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:40 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,379,312 times
As a single point in this debate, I can tell you that as most of us get older, except for the speech restrictions applied by social media rules and in a few public places in order to prevent online wars launched by openly prejudicial and narrow-minded folks and to prevent injuries from stampedes in public places, we tend to disregard restrictions on speech, in general.

The reason perhaps is that by the time one grows old in life, no one is paying attention to us anymore (probably relates to much of our disregard?), all of our good reliable friends are at the cemetery and we're not really looking to make more friends from any of the angry selections still around.

But luckily for social media at least, most websites have a "block" feature for old peaceful, God-fearing, freedom lovers like me. Use the block feature when you need it. I do quite liberally and I feel sure that a few here may add me to their own after they read this.

Life's is just too short to be trolled by more anger and deceit than life has already brought to our door.

Is my post here too "prim?"

Old 02-02-2021, 04:57 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,885,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
As a single point in this debate, I can tell you that as most of us get older, except for the speech restrictions applied by social media rules and in a few public places in order to prevent online wars launched by openly prejudicial and narrow-minded folks and to prevent injuries from stampedes in public places, we tend to disregard restrictions on speech, in general.

The reason perhaps is that by the time one grows old in life, no one is paying attention to us anymore (probably relates to much of our disregard?), all of our good reliable friends are at the cemetery and we're not really looking to make more friends from any of the angry selections still around.

But luckily for social media at least, most websites have a "block" feature for old peaceful, God-fearing, freedom lovers like me. Use the block feature when you need it. I do quite liberally and I feel sure that a few here may add me to their own after they read this.

Life's is just too short to be trolled by more anger and deceit than life has already brought to our door.

Is your post "too prim"? Not by my estimation. I especially found the part I put in bold above to be very good advice! It's probably one reason why many of us tend to avoid places on the Interwebs that seem dominated by anger and unkindness. I think that doing so tends to make life a bit less short.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,379,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Is your post "too prim"? Not by my estimation. I especially found the part I put in bold above to be very good advice! It's probably one reason why many of us tend to avoid places on the Interwebs that seem dominated by anger and unkindness. I think that doing so tends to make life a bit less short.

Although I think this strange virus thing is a cause of much of the anger, rage and hate, I agree totally. Hoping we will see its demise soon.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:31 PM

7,597 posts, read 4,173,315 times
I don't want to offend but I don't want to be in a constant state of fear of offending. Fear of offending can result in boring interactions where everyone is trying to walk around eggshells. On the contrary, having no fear at all can lead to the other extreme where I appear uncaring and arrogant. Having no fear gets balanced with not wanting to offend which is a choice. Fear is not a choice, it is a feeling. Therefore, I am quick to make a point and let the other person react. Then I will judge if I need to change my tone, my choice of words, or my choice of topics.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 AM

50,924 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

I used to be a school principal, so I felt that I had to be very careful with my words.

But when I retired...suddenly freedom. I didn't suddenly ditch common courtesy, but I got much more into speaking my mind. So for me it wasn't so much age, as "station in life".

Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,885,412 times
Because there seems to be some confusion with perhaps one or two participants in this thread which has resulted in those posts being deleted, I am reminding all here of the following:

Quoted from The Terms of Service: You warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Quoted from Great Debates forum rules: Great Debates is meant for respectful, intelligent, serious, well thought-out, slower-paced debates about all kinds of interesting issues.... Do not attempt to circumvent the profanity filter on the City-Data forums. Doing so in Great Debates will incur an instant infraction point.

As it is, it appears that everything that could be said about this topic has already been said. Topic closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.