Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 03:04 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,152,177 times

Advertisements

I think Ron White had this idea a while back, but he's a friggin' comedian. "Simply" taking over half of the Western hemisphere isn't "simple" by any stretch of the imagination. Why don't you ask Herr Putin's citizens how well Crimea has worked out for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 03:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I read today that upwards of 40 million people want to immigrate into the U.S.A. . And many would be from Mexico, Central America...

And the reasons are to escape persecution, lack of economic opportunities, corrupt governments, violence in various forms...

Since we seem to have inherited the problems, why not simply take the whole situation in hand and resolve it all once and for all? We should simply take over the problem countries.

We would then actually have possession of the areas, and be able to freely build industry, agriculture, etc. in those areas. And we would not be the imperialist yanquies... It would be our possessions.

Let's face it, their people are coming here to find work/money, and the people they are leaving behind are to a good part, sitting around waiting for them to send the money home to them.

They would be able to keep their families together.

And it would be better for the environment in general...Too many people are accumulating in the more northern part of the planet...And crowding creates environmental problems.

Hey, the whole world is bitching that it is our moral responsibility...If that is the case, then let's take the responsibility.
You read today
Where did you read this?
Did they ask 40,000,000 people or is that just some unknown person thinks that?

Old 03-25-2021, 04:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You read today
Where did you read this?

That would be about 22% of the entire population. Mexico is about 130 million and the rest of Central America is about 50 million.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:07 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You read today
Where did you read this?
The entire population of Central America, north of Costa Rica and south of Mexico is less than 40 million.

There is a international system made up of the Central American countries, plus Dominican Republic, that might be helpful in resolving some of the problems if it is supported sufficiently. I don't know if the US supports a unified approach or favors keeping these countries divided and in competition for whatever scraps fall their way. My guess would not be productive and only speculative.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent...gration_System

Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Uh...

...no.

The last thing we need is yet more foreign interventionism. How’d that go for you guys in Afghanistan? Iraq? Syria? Vietnam? Korea?

I’m sorry, but I’m not finna be world police, fail at it, and then wonder why it’s thankless or why even our allies are suspicious about flexing our muscles. Our blood and treasure - particularly the former - are far too valuable. I don’t support a draft of any kind, but I do wonder if mandatory military service for kids of some people in the DC apparatchik might make these a-holes a bit more wary of sending our kids to die over yonder somewhere.

I’m equally as hesitant to throw cash at other countries in order to make them more livable, but I do think it’s a better investment than military interventionism or walls (walls are another bone I have to pick). I would rather the money not be spent at all and just stay with the people here in our country, BUT, there are legit concerns which come with illegal entry, and with masses of people showing up at the border in the first place. Pragmatically, then, I still return to some form of pragmatism which violates my principles a bit, but seems the most effective course. Biden talked about it in his press conference: sending aid to complete projects which lessen the unlivability without routing it through the pretty corrupt and/or incompetent governments in many of the origin countries. Another measure, which he didn’t talk about, would be a tiered program in which we would first try to convince companies to remain in the US, and if that’s unsuccessful, try to divert them to Central/South America rather than China or east Asia so as to at least have a smaller secondary effect of again raising livability down there.

Last edited by jcp123; 03-25-2021 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-25-2021, 04:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Uh...

...no.

The last thing we need is yet more foreign interventionism. How’d that go for you guys in Afghanistan? Iraq? Syria? Vietnam? Korea?

Hard to really say since we cannot ever know the alternate reality. Maybe in an alternate reality we were isolationists and as a result lost our world influence and were never the world's leading economic and military world power?

Old 03-25-2021, 04:40 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Hey, the whole world is bitching that it is our moral responsibility...If that is the case, then let's take the responsibility.
A) The whole world is not bitching that it is our moral responsibility
B) Regardless, it is not our moral responsibility.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:44 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,641,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If the USA continues to boast about the "American Dream" and the "Best Country in the World", then the USA will continue to see mass illegal border crossings.
As long as the USA:
A) has economic opportunity greater than that in Central America, and
B) we have a Federal Government that announces it will not deport illegal aliens
...then the USA will continue to see masses of illegal aliens crossing the border.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:51 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
First, Central america should be americanized. I would include the Caribbean in here as well.

This would have be done through social engineering and a psyop possibly on the level of MAGA/Qanon.

Also, foreigners seem to love the show "Friends" into getting accustomed into American Culture. I think MTV is still more popular around the world than the US as well.

The english language needs to be aggressively spread as well. If Central america and the caribbean adopt the dollar as well, that would speed up the process.

I think we want a domican republic type of situation where they want to be annexed. The islands of king phillip of spain (the phillipines) seems always want to be an american colony.

Also, have to get rid of the influence of church like adam smith said.

If military intervention is done, it would be a disaster.

The only country really the US should invade and annex is cuba. That's prime beach front property, good soil, and close to the equator for space launches. COmmunists don't know how to manage the country. They are wasting it.

The only other solution is make Mexico the new china. They generally can't nuke us. Instead of drugs, they can send us Iphones and they don't need to cross and ocean.

Old 03-25-2021, 05:03 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Let me get this right: Invade and try to overthrow those countries and governments? That's pure insanity, and exactly what the USA isn't to be in the business of.

And this whole "simply" part. Would be as easy as flipping on a light switch, huh? And then increasing the size of our government exponentially to take on the management of such a project. That'd be a component of this madness as well. WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates