Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 01:19 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,993,856 times

Advertisements

I read today that upwards of 40 million people want to immigrate into the U.S.A. . And many would be from Mexico, Central America...

And the reasons are to escape persecution, lack of economic opportunities, corrupt governments, violence in various forms...

Since we seem to have inherited the problems, why not simply take the whole situation in hand and resolve it all once and for all? We should simply take over the problem countries.

We would then actually have possession of the areas, and be able to freely build industry, agriculture, etc. in those areas. And we would not be the imperialist yanquies... It would be our possessions.

Let's face it, their people are coming here to find work/money, and the people they are leaving behind are to a good part, sitting around waiting for them to send the money home to them.

They would be able to keep their families together.

And it would be better for the environment in general...Too many people are accumulating in the more northern part of the planet...And crowding creates environmental problems.

Hey, the whole world is bitching that it is our moral responsibility...If that is the case, then let's take the responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 01:26 PM

13,117 posts, read 7,593,772 times
I think tis an idea worth considering and debate.
I have not made a decision.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:30 PM

8,525 posts, read 6,952,914 times
I think the Central Americans might take some offense to their countries being invaded by a foreign power. They might get a little testy and fight back. Not to mention the American taxpayer having to foot the bill for what would be a military occupation.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:20 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,089,410 times
40 million isn't all that many, it's a lot cheaper to allow them in; as our immigration policies already are partially determined by future taxpayer base.
And Americans have stopped having children.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
40 million isn't all that many, it's a lot cheaper to allow them in; as our immigration policies already are partially determined by future taxpayer base.
And Americans have stopped having children.
As I mentioned, the northern parts of this planet are seeing too much of the population settling here.

60% of livable land is in the northern hemisphere, while about 90% of the population now lives here. And that is an environmental problem that you do not need a science degree to understand. (And you can confirm that number by simply searching on the Internet)

Old 03-24-2021, 04:41 PM

19,132 posts, read 27,755,241 times
Worry not. As is and developing, the US has no real military power to pull something like that. Even if they did, for some suicidal reason, they will get stuck in a systemic guerrilla warfare, those countries are well known for and, I come from one, that partially won WW2 exactly due to that reason - excellent guerrilla warfare.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I think the Central Americans might take some offense to their countries being invaded by a foreign power. They might get a little testy and fight back. Not to mention the American taxpayer having to foot the bill for what would be a military occupation.
I just heard on the news that about 70% of the young people coming here over the border are males. That is perfect...we will soon have plenty of eligible military recruits that would be familiar with and speak the language of those countries. ...And I do not mean to diminish the contribution of females (or any other group) in the military. But let's face it, mostly the military is composed of males (for whatever reason you want to accept).

Old 03-24-2021, 05:44 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,412,182 times
America would have to break international law to do that. USA would have to take on Central American forces, drug cartels, police and government corruption, guerrilla and rebel forces. Then there is a huge debt to cover. And most of all a massive loss of US lives.

The human misery there will blow your mind. Those current governments are either too poor or too corrupt to provide basic safety, jobs, shelter and justice.

If the USA continues to boast about the "American Dream" and the "Best Country in the World", then the USA will continue to see mass illegal border crossings. Why not be humanitarian and put them all in a bus and drive them to the Canadian border? It would help Canada grow our population and develop more of our country.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:10 PM

16,156 posts, read 10,840,798 times
Once upon a time, Mexico had control over the neighboring countries to the south. That did not last long but it makes more sense than the US taking control. I doubt Mexico would be happy if the US invaded or absorbed its neighbor countries.

Short of taking over, I think we could direct the focus of our foreign aid and assistance to make those countries livable and peaceful with effective and self-determined representative governments. Mexico could be our partner in that effort.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:17 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,678,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Take over? As in the US decide that the millions of citizens in Central America no longer have agency over their own country and lives?
Panama and El Savador already use the US dollar. Connie Mack III, a Republican senator from Florida from January 3, 1989 –January 3, 2001 proposed that we make it easy for Latin American countries to adopt the US Dollar as their nation's currency if they wanted to. As it is effectively giving them secure paper we would only charge them a nominal amount for the production of the banknotes instead of the full face value of the bills. In exchange they would agree to certain conditions to prevent money laundering of drug money. The advantage to the US would be a more stable region, better international trade, and less desire to immigrate illegally.

The bill was killed in committee, but two decades later it looks like China is going to do the same thing with their digital currency.

Central America consists of seven countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama. with a combined population of almost 50 million.

Puerto Rico has an island population of 3.2 million with another 4.6 million living on the mainland. The island population has peaked, while the mainland population continues to grow.

The US took control of Puerto Rico from Spain in 1898, but In 1917, the U.S. Congress passed the Jones Act, which granted Puerto Ricans born on or after April 25, 1898 U.S. citizenship.

I think that it is ridiculous to think that that we could do the same thing with Central America that we did with Puerto Rico over a century ago. Remember Puerto Rico was a European colony in 1898, not an independent nation..

I am in favor of reviving the incentives proposed by Senator Connie Mack as I believe a dollarized region will result in a more prosperous Central America that will benefit everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates