Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 12:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I saw Kamala in that outfit, it looked like she was poured into it, and the the buttons on her vest looked like they were ready to pop. She looked like she needed a hug.

Sometimes at Halloween, I'd put balloons for my breasts, and tried to come across as a woman. Can't imagine having the burden of having big breasts permanently and then wear a pants suit on top of it!
Fitted jackets and vests look ridiculous on bigger busted women. Just accentuates what you are trying to play down, if you can even find any remotely approaching a proper fit. It is my belief that these unfortunate women are not taken as seriously in professional settings (as if it's their/our fault).

I also hope professional clothing adapts to some level of comfort. The men never look comfortable either.

Why on earth are their still ties, for crying out loud.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:43 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Why are there stiletto heels and pointy toe shoes? They did that back in the 1960s and now those women suffer from serious foot problems. Some feminine shoes that fit well would be fine and they don't need to be high heels that look like stilts. I don't know how women fit their feet into the pointy toe shoes either. Looks painful and it crushes their toes and later on they get bouillons. Yet men get to wear sensible shoes.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:54 PM

150 posts, read 74,034 times
What an odd post.

Here we have an OP who is not a woman, and appears to not work in a corporate/business environment (OP only has public personas as examples for his musings, not actual businesswomen he is in regular contact with), claiming to know how women feel in their business clothing. Because he can just SEE how confined and uncomfortable Ms. Harris is when she speaks! OK.

FYI, comfort can mean many things, not just yoga-pants-and-tennis-shoes. A person (and yes, that includes women!) can be comfortable knowing they are dressed appropriately for the occasion, or knowing that their body isn't too revealed, or they have some semblance for temperature control (I've seen sari's that show a bare midriff and unless its 90+ degrees, which most offices aren't, I'd be VERY uncomfortably cold in that), or feeling like they have the right brand or latest fashion.

Not only that, but personal physical comfort varies across a whole spectrum. There are women who claim to feel comfortable in a laced-up corset, while others would feel suffocated in that. It's not for anyone else to question or invalidate either stance.

Old 06-13-2021, 02:00 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Why are there stiletto heels and pointy toe shoes? They did that back in the 1960s and now those women suffer from serious foot problems. Some feminine shoes that fit well would be fine and they don't need to be high heels that look like stilts. I don't know how women fit their feet into the pointy toe shoes either. Looks painful and it crushes their toes and later on they get bouillons. Yet men get to wear sensible shoes.

They exist because they sell and make money for the manufacturers and retailers. Women buy them because pointy toes and high heels are supposed to make their legs look longer and therefore more attractive to men. Pushup bras aren't very comfortable either but they exist for the same reasons.

Old 06-13-2021, 02:18 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by social_introvert View Post
What an odd post.

Here we have an OP who is not a woman, and appears to not work in a corporate/business environment (OP only has public personas as examples for his musings, not actual businesswomen he is in regular contact with), claiming to know how women feel in their business clothing. Because he can just SEE how confined and uncomfortable Ms. Harris is when she speaks! OK.

FYI, comfort can mean many things, not just yoga-pants-and-tennis-shoes. A person (and yes, that includes women!) can be comfortable knowing they are dressed appropriately for the occasion, or knowing that their body isn't too revealed, or they have some semblance for temperature control (I've seen sari's that show a bare midriff and unless its 90+ degrees, which most offices aren't, I'd be VERY uncomfortably cold in that), or feeling like they have the right brand or latest fashion.

Not only that, but personal physical comfort varies across a whole spectrum. There are women who claim to feel comfortable in a laced-up corset, while others would feel suffocated in that. It's not for anyone else to question or invalidate either stance.
It’s called mansplaining…..

Old 06-13-2021, 02:40 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default Rodeo Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Fit is everything and is so often overlooked when people put their outfits together. The most expensive clothing looks awful when the tailoring and fit are not correct. I sew and I'm pretty good at it so I often tweak my clothing to get a better fit. Sometimes buying a larger size and taking it in in the right places makes all the difference in both comfort and overall appeal.

A good tailor or seamstress is often the best fashion accessory.
Had an Army buddy that learned tailoring in the service. Ended up on Rodeo Drive, BHills. He set me up with an interchangeable wardrobe, including Italian glove leather shoes, that would fit in two small suitcases. You could close you eyes and grab and it all went together. Hollywood types would drop the material cost and then not come back. He could then buy the hand sewn for less than cost! Look at Christine Legare formerly of the IMF and now in Belgium as Head of some Euro thang; she's gorgeous and styleish and two decades or more older than KH. !! (heck I'd date her)

Old 06-13-2021, 05:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I agree that those pantsuits look horrible on both Kamala and Hillary. If I was President or VP, I'd set my own style along the lines of Ivanka and Melania. You can still look classy and professional in the right dress.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:05 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree that those pantsuits look horrible on both Kamala and Hillary. If I was President or VP, I'd set my own style along the lines of Ivanka and Melania. You can still look classy and professional in the right dress.
I like Melania's outfits too. But then Melania looked good even in pantsuits because she is tall and thin.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

They were doing that stiletto heels thing as long ago as the 1930's and onwards. Why are they still doing it now? Because there are still women with low self esteem who are ignorant and gullible enough to buy them and do what they're told and wear what's expected of them, like good little girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
If I was a President or Vice President or Prime Minister or Premier or even the Queen of the World, I would still wear my diamond hoop earrings that I wear 24/7 and my jeans and pull over v-necked tops like I do every day. Except maybe I'd fancy them up with a bit of frippery or other frivolous ornamentation when I go on TV. No high heels. Maybe rhinestone studded sneakers that twinkle when I walk. Bra optional. Just to please myself, ya know, not to try to make myself look important or impress anyone.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:32 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,047 times
I have never in seen another time in history when women's clothes were as comfortable as right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates