Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 06:56 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times

Advertisements

I can remember New York Congresswoman Bella Abzug's famous hats, which thoroughly vexed the more conservative crowd back in the 1970s. While Bella's fashion sense didn't make her a Devil in Prada, she sure bedeviled her political opponents -- including the United Nations General Assembly (which was deserving of condemnation at the time).

I have to admit that I'm a bit puzzled by this attention to how our Vice President dresses -- which doesn't look to me like all that huge a fashion disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If I was a President or Vice President or Prime Minister or Premier or even the Queen of the World, I would still wear my diamond hoop earrings that I wear 24/7 and my jeans and pull over v-necked tops like I do every day. Except maybe I'd fancy them up with a bit of frippery or other frivolous ornamentation when I go on TV. No high heels. Maybe rhinestone studded sneakers that twinkle when I walk. Bra optional. Just to please myself, ya know, not to try to make myself look important or impress anyone.

Haha! I wear outlandish hats AND rhinestone-studded sneakers (Skechers makes them).

Old 06-13-2021, 07:06 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by social_introvert View Post
What an odd post.

Here we have an OP who is not a woman, and appears to not work in a corporate/business environment (OP only has public personas as examples for his musings, not actual businesswomen he is in regular contact with), claiming to know how women feel in their business clothing. Because he can just SEE how confined and uncomfortable Ms. Harris is when she speaks! OK.

FYI, comfort can mean many things, not just yoga-pants-and-tennis-shoes. A person (and yes, that includes women!) can be comfortable knowing they are dressed appropriately for the occasion, or knowing that their body isn't too revealed, or they have some semblance for temperature control (I've seen sari's that show a bare midriff and unless its 90+ degrees, which most offices aren't, I'd be VERY uncomfortably cold in that), or feeling like they have the right brand or latest fashion.

Not only that, but personal physical comfort varies across a whole spectrum. There are women who claim to feel comfortable in a laced-up corset, while others would feel suffocated in that. It's not for anyone else to question or invalidate either stance.
I suspect the discomfort that seems to emanate from Ms. Harris has nothing to do with her clothing.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:55 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just saw a photo of Kamala Harris featured outside her office at the White House looking extremely uncomfortable wearing a pants suit. I actually felt sympathy for her as she looked so uncomfortable.

I used to feel the same seeing Hillary Clinton packed into one of these business suits.

Haven't women reached a point now where they're not pressured into wearing "men's clothes" at business meetings or at work and wear a very comfortable dress instead?

When I was in India, as a man, I envied these women wearing these extremely comfortable, sheer Sari's in the summer time. How could it be any more comfortable! Even as a man, I would love to go around in the summertime in Tucson wearing a Sari. And no underwear? And, how about it, men being able to wear more comfortable women's clothes?

Perhaps one reason for this "enforced dress code" among women is if they wore comfortable dresses to a business meeting, it would be too much of a distraction?????
If the clothing fits, then I don't see why one would think that it was uncomfortable.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:55 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I can remember New York Congresswoman Bella Abzug's famous hats, which thoroughly vexed the more conservative crowd back in the 1970s. While Bella's fashion sense didn't make her a Devil in Prada, she sure bedeviled her political opponents -- including the United Nations General Assembly (which was deserving of condemnation at the time).

I have to admit that I'm a bit puzzled by this attention to how our Vice President dresses -- which doesn't look to me like all that huge a fashion disaster.

Haha! I wear outlandish hats AND rhinestone-studded sneakers (Skechers makes them).

I have rhinestone/glitter sneakers by Kate Spade (with a Keds label) and I absolutely love them! Mine are gold but they also come in white and silver. I've been thinking I should buy another pair to keep in reserve in case they stop making them. I wear them with jeans

Old 06-13-2021, 08:41 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I've never really been that much into fashion but for ordinary people, I think they should dress nicely and for comfort too. It must be possible to do both. We shouldn't have to dress for men! (I'm too old for that anyway.) But I do think the rich and famous who represent us to the world should dress extremely well. They still don't need to set the style with pointy toes and stilts for heels though. There are sensible shoes that still look good and could set an example for what to wear.

A pretty business suit or a nice dress with a little jacket can be both comfortable and attractive. And normal shoes, please. I feel sorry for them trying to walk in those stilts. Good money for podiatrists, of course, lol.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:43 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just saw a photo of Kamala Harris featured outside her office at the White House looking extremely uncomfortable wearing a pants suit. I actually felt sympathy for her as she looked so uncomfortable.

I used to feel the same seeing Hillary Clinton packed into one of these business suits.

Haven't women reached a point now where they're not pressured into wearing "men's clothes" at business meetings or at work and wear a very comfortable dress instead?

When I was in India, as a man, I envied these women wearing these extremely comfortable, sheer Sari's in the summer time. How could it be any more comfortable! Even as a man, I would love to go around in the summertime in Tucson wearing a Sari. And no underwear? And, how about it, men being able to wear more comfortable women's clothes?

Perhaps one reason for this "enforced dress code" among women is if they wore comfortable dresses to a business meeting, it would be too much of a distraction?????
Pant suits are very comfortable as long as they fit right.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

Ha ha. I love to wear outlandish hats too. Bedecked and bedazzled with outlandish interchangeable hat bands, some of which I make for myself with genuine quartz crystal beads and other stones and jewelry attached. I have a lot of hats for every reason and every season (hey, it's Canada after all) and I'm pretty sure some of them absolutely scandalize some stuffed shirts ..... although I confess none of my hats are tawdry, suggestive or salacious looking and they're all of good quality manufacture. But looking scandalized just looks so good on some stuffed shirts and I can't help myself. I need a new closet just for my hats so I can equip it with even more hats.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:16 PM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
I have never in seen another time in history when women's clothes were as comfortable as right now.

Have you ever worn women's clothes? Women's underwear? The poorly proportioned off-the-rack stuff that's for sale? Women's dress shoes? (I'm assuming from your username that you're not female.)

Old 06-13-2021, 09:24 PM

1,434 posts, read 667,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Have you ever worn women's clothes? Women's underwear? The poorly proportioned off-the-rack stuff that's for sale? Women's dress shoes? (I'm assuming from your username that you're not female.)
I am a woman and wear womens clothes everyday. Maybe you are wearing the wrong size.
There is no reason the VP would have to wear uncomfortable clothes. That is just silly.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:27 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Ha ha. I love to wear outlandish hats too. Bedecked and bedazzled with outlandish interchangeable hat bands, some of which I make for myself with genuine quartz crystal beads and other stones and jewelry attached. I have a lot of hats for every reason and every season (hey, it's Canada after all) and I'm pretty sure some of them absolutely scandalize some stuffed shirts ..... although I confess none of my hats are tawdry, suggestive or salacious looking and they're all of good quality manufacture. But looking scandalized just looks so good on some stuffed shirts and I can't help myself. I need a new closet just for my hats so I can equip it with even more hats.

I dress up my hats, too! I like to use synthetic feathers -- the ones I get are indistinguishable from real birds' feathers, and I know that no birds were harmed in the process of acquiring these.

Zoisite, maybe you and I can give Kamala a makeover!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates