Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 09:29 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else notice Dr Jill Biden's outfits this past week on their visit to England? I know she probably cares more about her education credentials than her appearance but I couldn't help but notice that light blue suit that just doesn't fit. I like her, am not criticizing her, but it appeared that the sleeves were too long and there are pictures of when the jacket was buttoned that it looked uncomfortably tight.

A tailor could have helped, I think. Women's clothes usually are made for looks, not for comfort. Get your pants lengthened or shorted, same with your sleeves. Get jackets that fit or have them tailored. As for other famous people, I think the women in the royal family usually dress beautifully. Even Meghan looked great when she lived over there, although both she and Kate wear the stilt heels and pointy toes--(get rid of them.)

Old 06-14-2021, 12:34 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
I think pants suits are more popular in the US than here and perhaps in Europe. Looking at the Europeans they were either in suits with skirts or in pants with a separate jacket. Might be easier to find a good fit.

DD is in the corporate world and goes by the view that if men can have a few basic suits, women are entitled to have a few appropriate outfits. But she goes for separates.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:45 AM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think the political statements through outfits are mostly American things. European politicians seems to wear stylish, well fitted clothes that are appropriate for the moment.
The so called "dress for success" is mentioned here:
https://www.dw.com/en/how-politician...ion/a-40486822
Dress for the job you want, not the one you have, became in the US something of a motto in the 1980s, when big-shouldered power suits were part and parcel of the successful person's working wardrobe. This was especially true for women, who were encouraged to masculinize their look in order to get ahead. Pantsuits might have something to do with it.

I read that for official events of public or historic significance, such as a state visit, the first lady's clothes may be given as a gift by a designer and accepted on behalf of the U.S. government. They are then stored by the National Archives. Mrs Biden probably needs to hire better image advisor/personal side.
The American designer has a history of dressing political figures and first ladies for inaugurations, campaign events, and other major events.
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/06/02/who-...s-clothes.html (found the article)

Here is another, more recent article:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/11/aoc-...-for-find.html

Here is, somehow, surprising list of Things U.S. Presidents Have to Pay for on Their Own.
https://www.rd.com/list/things-u-s-p...-on-their-own/
Not sure why I read about the numerous, expensive vacation trips paid by the taxpayers...
https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/col...lions/2320612/
But that's off topic, anyway.

Last edited by elnina; 06-14-2021 at 01:16 AM..

Old 06-14-2021, 03:07 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Did anyone else notice Dr Jill Biden's outfits this past week on their visit to England? I know she probably cares more about her education credentials than her appearance but I couldn't help but notice that light blue suit that just doesn't fit. I like her, am not criticizing her, but it appeared that the sleeves were too long and there are pictures of when the jacket was buttoned that it looked uncomfortably tight.

A tailor could have helped, I think. Women's clothes usually are made for looks, not for comfort. Get your pants lengthened or shorted, same with your sleeves. Get jackets that fit or have them tailored. As for other famous people, I think the women in the royal family usually dress beautifully. Even Meghan looked great when she lived over there, although both she and Kate wear the stilt heels and pointy toes--(get rid of them.)
I liked the colour and thought it looked fine on Jill when she was standing straight upright with her chin up and shoulders back. That enhanced her profile and the fit of the skirt and jacket. But when she was standing next to the Queen she kept her chin down and shoulders hunched forward to lower her height a bit in compensation so as to not overwhelm the very short, tiny stature of the Queen and make the Queen look stunted or child-like. (she is a VERY tiny person). That caused Jill's suit jacket with its single button at the waist to pull at the waist line and the back of the jacket to hike up, but I think she couldn't have been aware of that until after she saw the pictures that were taken.

But frankly she was pale and looked like she was in pain and I was far more concerned about the injury to Jill's leg and the bandage on it. It had to have occurred suddenly that very same day soon before they were due to go to their meeting. It wasn't bandaged the day before that.

With regard to the way the Royals dress - they all look elegant of course, but they also all have well paid professional 'dressers' to advise and help them make their perfect choices. And they all have magnificently HUGE clothing budgets in the hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars to cover their clothing allowance for public appearances. And none of them are politicians, they're all figureheads who MUST look the part. So while I admire the styles and their panache that their dressers have created for them to turn them into works of art I don't think the royals count for comparison with the "Sunday Best" suits of ordinary every day people or with the spouses of common political leaders who are visiting from other countries.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:49 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Depends on your role...now retired, I won't wear anything (bras and shoes included) unless they are comfortable. But I imagine there are now professional work clothes that are comfy if in the right size...

Old 06-14-2021, 08:14 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Queen Letizia of Spain is a style icon to me. Her clothes are tailored perfectly to her figure and she never looks uncomfortable even in very high heels. When I was working I wore high heels every day and I was never uncomfortable in them. They fit me correctly (the toe box was correctly sized) and the height felt natural to me. I wore heels outside of work also and as I got older I switched to kitten heels which still feel perfectly fine to me. At 65 I have no bunions or other side effects of ill fitting shoes.

Another incredibly important aspect is posture and Letizia has that down pat! Her gorgeous husband wears his height well - no slouching and of course, impeccably tailored suits.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:01 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Have you ever worn women's clothes? Women's underwear? The poorly proportioned off-the-rack stuff that's for sale? Women's dress shoes? (I'm assuming from your username that you're not female.)
Wear clothes that FIT. If they FIT YOU, they are very comfortable.
PLENTY of comfy undies and shoes too. Not sure where you are shopping.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I dress up my hats, too! I like to use synthetic feathers -- the ones I get are indistinguishable from real birds' feathers, and I know that no birds were harmed in the process of acquiring these.

Zoisite, maybe you and I can give Kamala a makeover!
I've never seen synthetic feathers that looked real. I will sometimes use feathers in my hats but I use 'found' feathers that I often come across lying on the ground. Like deep iridescent blue stellar jay feathers and neon pinky-orange flicker flight feathers, and blue heron curly white crest feathers. Barn owl feathers are my favourites.... so luxurious feeling.

We could try giving her a makeover but I don't think Kamala would listen to me so you'd have to do all the talking and persuading. We could start a makeover business and call it VIPP Makeovers (a.k.a. Very Important Political People Makeovers) and attract all the political people, men & women to come have us work a miracle on them. They'll all come because everybody wants to look like a VIP. While we have them at our mercy we can brainwash them with all of our proper ideas for saving the world and creating perfect peace on Earth.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:13 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I've never seen synthetic feathers that looked real. I will sometimes use feathers in my hats but I use 'found' feathers that I often come across lying on the ground. Like deep iridescent blue stellar jay feathers and neon pinky-orange flicker flight feathers, and blue heron curly white crest feathers. Barn owl feathers are my favourites.... so luxurious feeling.

We could try giving her a makeover but I don't think Kamala would listen to me so you'd have to do all the talking and persuading. We could start a makeover business and call it VIPP Makeovers (a.k.a. Very Important Political People Makeovers) and attract all the political people, men & women to come have us work a miracle on them. They'll all come because everybody wants to look like a VIP. While we have them at our mercy we can brainwash them with all of our proper ideas for saving the world and creating perfect peace on Earth.

Don't forget hair! I'm a Beauty School Dropout. I went to Beauty School/Cosmetology School at age 50 once mine and hubby's business was up and running and I could do anything I wanted career wise. I had to drop out because of arthritis - my hands couldn't handle eight hours of cutting, blow drying, etc. I then had a career as a Personal Shopper which was an absolute ball for someone like me who loves fashion, hair, looking your best - and all that jazz.

There are plenty of people in the public eye who could use a good hair care routine. A great cut and old fashioned moisturizing is a good place to start.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wear clothes that FIT. If they FIT YOU, they are very comfortable.
PLENTY of comfy undies and shoes too. Not sure where you are shopping.
Problem is there's still the little matter of money and being able to afford something that is both a good fit, is flattering and feels comfortable. Because for most people those categories (good fit, flattering & comfortable) do NOT go hand in hand together unless the shopper is loaded, swimming in excess cash to throw away and can take their wealth for granted while shopping in expensive high end clothing stores.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates