Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 07:32 AM

8,133 posts, read 7,506,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
We can be so, so lucky there wasn't a worldwide media in force during the genocide that occurred in this country and South and Central America 200-300 years ago.
I see this a lot. Excusing current atrocities by claiming "we" did the same thing 100 or more years ago. But Western civilization ended slavery, condemns genocide and racism, and elects and appoints women to many leadership roles. Q: How many women have ever served on the PRC politburo? A: One.

Quote:
Like Japan, China wants to remain a homogenous country, at all costs, even if they have to resort to robotic caregivers, which now exist over there.
So, diversity is our strength but homogeneity is China's strength? Sounds like racism and we should not be OK with that. The PRC needs to do a lot better for the minorities who have immigrated and the ones whose ancestors have always lived within the borders of what is now China proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 10:18 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,578,146 times
Quote:
China is still wrestling with how to rule over a diverse, ethnically mixed population that does not necessarily accept the dominance of the Han or the CCP narrative. The challenge for the CCP is that ethnic minorities constitute only about 10 percent of the total population but inhabit 60 percent of the land mass, much of which is in sensitive border areas (the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous region, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Tibet Autonomous Region, and Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region). The national language is a recent construct and has priority in schools over the local languages. About 30 percent of the population speaks a language at home other than the national language.
https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...he-day-65.html

Old 06-24-2021, 10:30 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,501,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I see this a lot. Excusing current atrocities by claiming "we" did the same thing 100 or more years ago. But Western civilization ended slavery, condemns genocide and racism, and elects and appoints women to many leadership roles.
Indonesia committed genocide in the 1960s with US support. It's a recurring human event in all nations and cultures.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:39 AM

23,287 posts, read 29,145,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Indonesia committed genocide in the 1960s with US support. It's a recurring human event in all nations and cultures.
I just finished reading a bio of Himmler, one of Hitler's Ax-Men, and incredibly, he didn't think the Spanish or the Americans would mind one bit with him killing millions of Jews, given all the Indians they exterminated in the past.

There's an old saying: Point a finger at someone, and there you sit with 3 fingers pointed at yourself.

So as far as the Uighars, I've read of it, am disgusted with it, but any of these Muslims relocating to China should know in advance what kind of reception they're going to get, forced assimilation.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:37 PM

10,507 posts, read 7,082,289 times
Quote:
I just finished reading a bio of Himmler, one of Hitler's Ax-Men, and incredibly, he didn't think the Spanish or the Americans would mind one bit with him killing millions of Jews, given all the Indians they exterminated in the past.

There's an old saying: Point a finger at someone, and there you sit with 3 fingers pointed at yourself.

So as far as the Uighars, I've read of it, am disgusted with it, but any of these Muslims relocating to China should know in advance what kind of reception they're going to get, forced assimilation.

First rule of holes: When you find yourself in one, stop digging. Your lazy moral relativism isn't fooling anyone.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:24 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,366,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Thanks again TVMH. You always dig out some interesting stuff for perusal.
Thanks to other contributors of CD, I first heard that the US does not have a national (official) language.
Other countries without an official languages, include Australia, Eritrea, Luxembourg, Sweden and Tuvalu.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:29 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,366,251 times
Quote:

Goering said something similar, that US dropping an atom bomb on Japan was a medical experiment. And that they would not drop one in Germany was because a German kid was more valuable than a ***.

I think you got your facts on Xinjiang all mixed up.
The pbs started when bombs, machetes whatever were used by the separatists in Beijing and Xinjiang killing people.
"There have been allegations that the Chinese government has been applying charges of terrorism in an inconsistent and sometimes politically motivated manner."

That 10-storey Lego building is more a fun or a farce.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:28 AM

35,296 posts, read 17,191,932 times
One thing to be envied with China is the free pass they get with a horrific human rights record, see Liberate Tibet! At Least Add Tibet to the Human Rights List that Includes "Palestine".

Old 06-27-2021, 05:31 AM

35,296 posts, read 17,191,932 times
Quote:
The questionable safety of food in China is not be envied. When I was visiting in 1991, I went on a tour, and included in that, was a small village, and the tour operator showed us a fish pond in the center of the village, and there were old bicycles dumped into that pond, polysterene floating on top of it, and a colored stream of water coming down from the hill into the pond, and? A fish pond? China is the biggest Tilapia producer in the world, and I won't eat any fish from China or SE Asia. Fry's offer Tilapia from Mexico and it has a lot more texture to and tastier. I had read once, in a particular part of China, the water was so polluted, they even discouraged people from washing their clothes in it!
And we in New York and Connecticut are banning plastic bags out of guilt for that kind of degradation.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:32 AM

88,767 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One thing to be envied with China is the free pass they get with a horrific human rights record, see Liberate Tibet! At Least Add Tibet to the Human Rights List that Includes "Palestine".
Human Rights in China is headquartered right in New York City and has always been very active in bringing human rights violations, including those in Tibet, to the attention of world leaders.

https://www.hrichina.org/en

Of course, if other human beings are not behind it, it goes nowhere.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-27-2021 at 07:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates