Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 09:13 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

It is 100% true
and I'll tell you the reason why

Women tend to be in favor good public services provided by the government to everybody ... schools, hospitals, etc.
The reason is that women tend to be the ones that end up "stuck" with kids.

Sorry if that offends people, but that is the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 11:35 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
I guess I don't understand the correlation with big city and conservative. I lean pretty far right and I live in the city and enjoy all that comes with it. Is this stemming from the stereotype that all conservative men are hillbilly rednecks? Lol.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:00 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
We have to define "conservative" first.

The way our current political and cultural divisions work in the U.S., conservatism has more masculine features and liberalism has more feminine features. Superficially.

That could all change on a dime if we change what conservative amd liberal mean, which happens about every 20-25 years. We are currently undergoing one of those change periods.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:11 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
We have to define "conservative" first.

The way our current political and cultural divisions work in the U.S., conservatism has more masculine features and liberalism has more feminine features. Superficially.

That could all change on a dime if we change what conservative amd liberal mean, which happens about every 20-25 years. We are currently undergoing one of those change periods.
Can you elaborate on this? I don't see conservative men becoming more feminine, at all.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:42 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I don't see conservative men becoming more feminine, at all.
I was actually referring to the gender gap getting wider. Conservatism is leaning more into men's interests and liberalism is leaning into women's interests. The historical change is that women's interests tended not to be represented in western politics at all until 100 years ago, and not significantly until about 50 years ago.

This could all reverse. E.g. it was only 15-20 years ago that George W. Bush worked hard to "soften" conservatism and it paid off by resulting in more women voting for Republicans.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:37 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I was actually referring to the gender gap getting wider. Conservatism is leaning more into men's interests and liberalism is leaning into women's interests. The historical change is that women's interests tended not to be represented in western politics at all until 100 years ago, and not significantly until about 50 years ago.

This could all reverse. E.g. it was only 15-20 years ago that George W. Bush worked hard to "soften" conservatism and it paid off by resulting in more women voting for Republicans.
I don't know if he deserves credit for that, though. I say that, as a woman who did in fact vote for him. But it was not a matter of supporting him or him softening conservatism. It was because the last Democrat in the office was Bill Clinton.

And before ya think it, no, it wasn't me being horrified about Monica Lewinski either, though that probably put off a lot of women. I was disgusted that we had to hear about it in all its utterly TMI detail, but I wished fervently that it could have been a private matter, between him, his wife, Monica...there were mental images I just didn't want in my head. But he was the one who made me feel lied to, there was welfare reform that happened that actually made it a lot harder for poor people to get needed help, and it happened on Clinton's watch. Feeling negatively about the left, pushed me to the right.

Which I think happens an awful lot in this country. We're more likely to vote against someone than for someone.

I did not much care for GW Bush even though I voted for him. I was super annoyed with his horrible public speaking skills (and Biden is underwhelming in this regard as well, to say the least.) But I have said in the last several years that Trump made W look cute and harmless, like a muppet.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:57 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Looking at conservatism in religious thought (outside of Islam), I just don't see that there's a significant liberal leaning for women... It seems to be pretty equal across sexes.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:22 PM

63 posts, read 67,448 times
Single people are more willing to accept living in diverse urban areas. However, once they are married and have children, they prefer the homogeneity of suburbs or living around, going to schools with, and socializing with people like themselves.

Old 08-22-2021, 04:24 PM

63 posts, read 67,448 times
Quote:
tended to vote more liberal.
What exactly is a "liberal"?
  • Just because someone is pro choice doesn't make her anti-wall.
  • Just because someone is pro-missile defense, doesn’t make him anti-environment.
  • Just because someone is for gay marriage, doesn’t mean she supports affirmative action.
  • Just because someone is atheist, doesn't mean he is immoral or unethical (whatever those terms mean).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates