Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 08:15 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,439 times

Advertisements

Surveys vary with the exact percentage of people who oppose the death penalty... typically the number cited in the US is around 60% support its existence.

Yet I find it hard to believe that 40% of Americans oppose the state killing Osama Bin Laden. I'm guessing that number is probably closer to 10%. That would mean the vast majority of people who "oppose" the death penalty really only oppose it unless the crime is really, really bad, right?

If you don't think the state has the right to take away a human life for any reason, then why the absence of outrage from those who oppose the death penalty on Bin Laden's "murder"?

Old 08-10-2021, 08:48 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
There are so many people on death row today, especially child murderers and convicted serial killers, who have gotten to live long healthy lives on the tax payer's dime. Killers like Ed Kemper or Sam Little got to become elderly men, while their young victims died painful deaths. How often have we heard of child abductors, who murdered their victim's, escape death row? It happens all of the time. We really have to start considering what this does to the families of those victims and I know putting a murderer to death won't bring their loved one back, but murderers should NOT get to live to their 60s 70s or 80s. That's not justice.

I realize, as a person of color, that there are times when a person maybe wrongly convicted due to the jury's interpretation of the circumstantial evidence presented. But, I'm talking about cases where there is NO doubt. If somebody kills a person (with 1st degree murder intent) and it wasn't in self-defense and there is no doubt that they did it , I support a speedy execution!

Old 08-10-2021, 09:13 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I remain opposed to the death penalty. Once sentenced and incarcerated, I believe every person has the right to live out their life to its natural end. I don't have any interest in how comfortable or uncomfortable they might be. As long as they are locked up, I am happy.

Some people refuse to be incarcerated and thus get themselves killed by law enforcement officers or in Bin Laden's case, by military personnel. And that's fine, too. Bin Laden wasn't murdered. His lifestyle resulted in his death. It happens all the time. Even in Ferguson, MO.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I believe every person has the right to live out their life to its natural end.
People who abduct little children/women and brutal rape and strangle them, mass shooters and serial killers should NOT have the right to live out their life to it's natural end.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:24 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Surveys vary with the exact percentage of people who oppose the death penalty... typically the number cited in the US is around 60% support its existence.

Yet I find it hard to believe that 40% of Americans oppose the state killing Osama Bin Laden. I'm guessing that number is probably closer to 10%. That would mean the vast majority of people who "oppose" the death penalty really only oppose it unless the crime is really, really bad, right?

If you don't think the state has the right to take away a human life for any reason, then why the absence of outrage from those who oppose the death penalty on Bin Laden's "murder"?
1. So let's see. What you're saying is that polls about what people think are less accurate than what you think they think.

2. My opinion is that there are times that most people will justify the death penalty. That's anecdotal on my part. But most of the people I have actually talked to about opposition to the death penalty think that the death penalty is way overdone.

As for me, over the years I have gone back and forth over the issue. It's a tough one.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:26 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
There are so many people on death row today, especially child murderers and convicted serial killers, who have gotten to live long healthy lives on the tax payer's dime. Killers like Ed Kemper or Sam Little got to become elderly men, while their young victims died painful deaths. How often have we heard of child abductors, who murdered their victim's, escape death row? It happens all of the time. We really have to start considering what this does to the families of those victims and I know putting a murderer to death won't bring their loved one back, but murderers should NOT get to live to their 60s 70s or 80s. That's not justice.

I realize, as a person of color, that there are times when a person maybe wrongly convicted due to the jury's interpretation of the circumstantial evidence presented. But, I'm talking about cases where there is NO doubt. If somebody kills a person (with 1st degree murder intent) and it wasn't in self-defense and there is no doubt that they did it , I support a speedy execution!
Well, many juries had no doubt, only to find out years later that they were wrong.

We also need to distinguish between justice and revenge.

What you need to explain to me is why the United States has the highest percent of people in prison.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:27 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. So let's see. What you're saying is that polls about what people think are less accurate than what you think they think.
it goes more to the phrasing of the question. do you think 40% of Americans opposed the killing bin laden?

Old 08-10-2021, 09:37 AM

7,771 posts, read 6,376,660 times
If the "executee" has earned it he/she should not be deprived.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:49 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Surveys vary with...
It varies with how the question is phrased.
When the question is about vengeance, especially with a personal connection, you'll get more "positives".
When the question is about justice and especially about proofs... then you'll get more "negatives".

hth

Old 08-10-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, many juries had no doubt, only to find out years later that they were wrong.

We also need to distinguish between justice and revenge.

What you need to explain to me is why the United States has the highest percent of people in prison.
What you need to understand, is that I don't need to explain why the US has the highest percentage of people in prison. That's NOT the subject we're debating. You can give me your opinion on why that's the case, but I'll stick to debating the issue at hand.

If a person murders and it's beyond all reasonable doubt (not only circumstantial) and they maliciously intended to do it, you give me your moral/ethical argument as to why it is not justice to execute someone who kills. Especially with respect to the worst kinds of murders. And, no more of this "what if he didn't do it" argument. You need defend yourself on the premise that the killer is ACTUALLY guilty, and there is no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates