Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 05:53 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times

Advertisements

Close the Mexican border so tightly that not even a mouse could cross it. Mexico is the source of over 50% of every illegal drug and homelessness is end-stage drug addiction.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:07 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Scandinavians seem to know something the rest of us don't. Finland also solved their homeless problem in similar ways to what you describe. But they probably have the support of ALL the citizens, not all the infighting....

I feel this is the case due to almost all being Scandinavian.
Whereas, our cultural differences here in the U.S. create differing opinions on where $$$ is spent on social programs. The approaches change with changing political leadership, leaving governments and citizens alike frustrated with lack of results.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:20 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Close the Mexican border so tightly that not even a mouse could cross it. Mexico is the source of over 50% of every illegal drug and homelessness is end-stage drug addiction.
Drug addiction is only a piece of homelessness. Mental illness is more common. Many alcoholics are homeless. Finally, it does nothing about the cost of housing.

Are you going to close the border so tightly that American companies cannot import goods from Mexico and cannot export products to Mexico? Do you have any idea how many billions of dollars and jobs in this country are dependent on exporting to Mexico? You want to stop illegal immigration? Do you have any idea what effect stopping trade with Mexico would have? It would result in a major recession/depression in Mexico and suddenly you'd have hundreds of thousands of Mexicans trying to get into the USA who were not doing that before.

Sorry, Mexico bashing isn't going to solve this problem. The homeless problem is the result of things taking place in our own country.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Drug addiction is only a piece of homelessness. Mental illness is more common. Many alcoholics are homeless. Finally, it does nothing about the cost of housing.

Are you going to close the border so tightly that American companies cannot import goods from Mexico and cannot export products to Mexico? Do you have any idea how many billions of dollars and jobs in this country are dependent on exporting to Mexico? You want to stop illegal immigration? Do you have any idea what effect stopping trade with Mexico would have? It would result in a major recession/depression in Mexico and suddenly you'd have hundreds of thousands of Mexicans trying to get into the USA who were not doing that before.

Sorry, Mexico bashing isn't going to solve this problem. The homeless problem is the result of things taking place in our own country.
Not long ago the border was under firm control. There was no recession in Mexico and the US economy was doing very well, especially the unskilled part of it that competes directly with illegal immigrants. And drugs were more expensive than they are now and smugglers were resorting to airplanes and boats to get their wares into the US.

Getting back to being King, I would say to the councillor who told me we could end homelessness by "addressing" "mental illness", "Did you not ply me with this request last year? And the year before that, and indeed, for all the years of my reign? And did I not give to thee, yea, and with both hands? So, I say to thee: Thou art banished from my court! Go! And let me see thy face no more!"

Old 02-03-2022, 10:16 AM

150 posts, read 74,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But isn't a part of it also scope?

The population of all the Scandinavian countries combined is about 28 million.
The population of the United States is almost 330 million.
The other part of this that I have not seen mentioned, is, the homogeneous nature of that society. I would bet there is a shared sense of history and "community" and culture, and of being your brother's keeper, in many countries that have been mentioned here (Japan, Finland).

Here in the US, people don't seem to feel as much commonality with others. Probably a mixture of our sheer size as well as a variety of lifestyles (what does an immigrant NYer feel in common with a rancher from the Southwest? Probably not much.) But also, some of the historical wrongs that have been perpetrated which must still be addressed.

Anyway, this lack of cohesion translates to a protective mindset, and later, policies, that are focused on me protecting mine...and everyone else can go fly a kite.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Not long ago the border was under firm control. There was no recession in Mexico and the US economy was doing very well, especially the unskilled part of it that competes directly with illegal immigrants. And drugs were more expensive than they are now and smugglers were resorting to airplanes and boats to get their wares into the US.

Getting back to being King, I would say to the councillor who told me we could end homelessness by "addressing" "mental illness", "Did you not ply me with this request last year? And the year before that, and indeed, for all the years of my reign? And did I not give to thee, yea, and with both hands? So, I say to thee: Thou art banished from my court! Go! And let me see thy face no more!"
In no way is your first paragraph a response to what I said. I will stand by my main point. Seal off that border and you will see hordes of Mexicans trying to come to this country because of the economic catastrophe it would create in their country if you ended trade. BTW, it would also result in job losses here in the USA too. For that reason alone, your suggestion is a nonstarter.

No one wants to address mental illness because doing so isn't easy. What is really needed to resolve this issue is a series of outpatient clinics concentrated primarily in urban areas that can examine, diagnose, and provide medication at no cost/low cost to the mentally ill. Some kind of monitoring or mandatory follow up would also be of great assistance. It doesn't happen because of the cost involved. However, communities don't do a good job of weighing the cost of homelessness either.

Just because the suggestion is ignored does not mean it is not a good one.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:20 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
There will always be homeless as oddly some people prefer to live that way, as they simply do not want to follow any rules at all, but I would:

Close the border, and stop the economic plague that comes with illegal aliens milking the system with their anchor babies. It would save millions to billions which I would use to get the homeless interviewed and see what they would need to get them off the streets. I am sure many would need mental health services as in the beginning, many of these people that ended up on the streets initially were put out of mental institutions with the promise of out-patient services that never materialized. Right now, there are plenty of entry level jobs available for those that want to work, so the homeless would be interviewed to find out what they need to be employed. So, clean them up, find out what they need help with to get off the streets, if they want off and get them busy volunteering or working. Think "hand up not hand out". A sense of purpose can go a long way in changing a person's life.

Mental health services are grossly underfunded as are services for people with disabilities, the elderly, etc., so taking care of our own before giving hand outs to non-citizens would go a long way to solving the issue. "Charity begins at home."
It truly would take an act of a king to stop illegal immigration like that. I've heard states like Florida could easily nip that in the bud, but businesses tell their politicians that they like illegal immigration for their cheap labor, and that if they stop that, they'll stop donating money to them. That always ends such prospects.

And thank you for addressing mental health. For some homeless, mental health is also the obstacle.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:42 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
I first take control of the money supply. Then I can literally do anything I want with it. Helping out homeless, or mentally ill people is money worth spent. The inflation I create to do so is well spent, and is not speculation profits that end up in the hands of a few. It will go to people who are helping society, and is a true benefit to all citizens.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
In no way is your first paragraph a response to what I said. I will stand by my main point. Seal off that border and you will see hordes of Mexicans trying to come to this country because of the economic catastrophe it would create in their country if you ended trade. BTW, it would also result in job losses here in the USA too. For that reason alone, your suggestion is a nonstarter.

No one wants to address mental illness because doing so isn't easy. What is really needed to resolve this issue is a series of outpatient clinics concentrated primarily in urban areas that can examine, diagnose, and provide medication at no cost/low cost to the mentally ill. Some kind of monitoring or mandatory follow up would also be of great assistance. It doesn't happen because of the cost involved. However, communities don't do a good job of weighing the cost of homelessness either.

Just because the suggestion is ignored does not mean it is not a good one.
That's too bad because it refutes your main point in its entirety. If nothing can enter the US from Mexico, neither will hordes of Mexicans. Whether they try to or not is besides the point. (I don't think many are Mexicans anyway. It seems most have been transported to Mexico from other countries and continents before they're shipped to the border.)

When the border was last under control (i.e., sealed off), Mexico was not in recession (although some economists think it is headed that way now, for what that is worth), the US had the lowest unemployment in 60 years, and black unemployment was the lowest ever.

"Mental health" has never been "addressed" more than right now. The result of all this "addressing" is more drug addiction and therefore more homeless and crime. "Addressing" "mental health" is a non-solution to what is not the problem.

That "addressing" "mental health" seems "hard" is because it is like addressing a fire with gasoline seems hard.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
That's too bad because it refutes your main point in its entirety. If nothing can enter the US from Mexico, neither will hordes of Mexicans. Whether they try to or not is besides the point. (I don't think many are Mexicans anyway. It seems most have been transported to Mexico from other countries and continents before they're shipped to the border.)

When the border was last under control (i.e., sealed off), Mexico was not in recession (although some economists think it is headed that way now, for what that is worth), the US had the lowest unemployment in 60 years, and black unemployment was the lowest ever.

"Mental health" has never been "addressed" more than right now. The result of all this "addressing" is more drug addiction and therefore more homeless and crime. "Addressing" "mental health" is a non-solution to what is not the problem.

That "addressing" "mental health" seems "hard" is because it is like addressing a fire with gasoline seems hard.
There were always people getting through. Numbers were down, but it was not sealed off tightly. The simple reality is that if we want to stop illegal immigration to the USA from Mexico than the best bet is a system of trade that allows Mexico to build up its economy and create jobs for Mexicans. Much illegal immigration from Mexicans is down precisely because that is starting to happen. Note: I am not saying that people from other countries do not transit through Mexico to come to America. That appears to be the problem now.

Trade with Mexico is enormous. It is this country's largest international trading partner. We imported $351 billion in goods and services and exported $252 billion in goods and services to Mexico in 2021. That represents millions of jobs on both sides of the border.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c2010.html

Your point that addressing mental health needs is like pouring gasoline on a fire is truly some of the worst nonsense I've ever read on CDF. I truly would like to know how treating people with mental illness increases the homeless population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates