Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 09:53 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by social_introvert View Post
The other part of this that I have not seen mentioned, is, the homogeneous nature of that society. I would bet there is a shared sense of history and "community" and culture, and of being your brother's keeper, in many countries that have been mentioned here (Japan, Finland).

Here in the US, people don't seem to feel as much commonality with others. Probably a mixture of our sheer size as well as a variety of lifestyles (what does an immigrant NYer feel in common with a rancher from the Southwest? Probably not much.) But also, some of the historical wrongs that have been perpetrated which must still be addressed.

Anyway, this lack of cohesion translates to a protective mindset, and later, policies, that are focused on me protecting mine...and everyone else can go fly a kite.
Yes, that's a good point, and I think is something is getting more common as time goes by. There's another localized forum I check on briefly every day and as I read many of the posts I am often amazed at how many are basically very selfish posts. The type of thing I'm thinking -- as a small example -- is a neighbor who would be up in arms if the house next door would be playing loud music, but just laughs when someone complains about his dog barking, sometimes for hours. Me, me, me. There ought to be a little more we, we, we.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:25 PM

25,599 posts, read 17,334,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Close the Mexican border so tightly that not even a mouse could cross it. Mexico is the source of over 50% of every illegal drug and homelessness is end-stage drug addiction.
I think you have it exactly right. Of course, closing the border also means regulating who enters. We need plenty of entrants but we need the ability to choose, too.
People like to pretend homelessness is a really, really complicated problem.
It isn't. But first we have to identify the people who actually need help. As it is they are buried in the mountains of people who are homeless by choice.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I think you have it exactly right. Of course, closing the border also means regulating who enters. We need plenty of entrants but we need the ability to choose, too.
People like to pretend homelessness is a really, really complicated problem.
It isn't. But first we have to identify the people who actually need help. As it is they are buried in the mountains of people who are homeless by choice.
You guys keep talking about the border and all the homelessness.

When I lived in the Washington DC area for most of my adult life, the homeless people I saw were not Mexicans or other Latinos, with some exceptions. They were mostly Blacks and some Whites.

When I lived in Colorado Springs, most of the homeless I saw in the area down by the city library and soup kitchen were not Mexicans or other Latinos. They were White.

I'm not saying there are no homeless Latinos, but here's the data:

"A majority, 40%, were black. ... between 2018 and 2019, 52% of homeless families in 2019 were black. ... Whites ... accounted for 48% of homeless people in 2019." -- HUD under the Trump administration.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:13 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
Default Are we in agreement that mental institutions need to come back?

In reading all the responses, I get the feeling that most posting agree that some sort of mental institutions need to be reestablished. Of course not the sadistic guards and chains and mistreatment, but modern, safe, educational places with treatment plans.

Do we agree?

The next question is HOW do we "scoop" the homeless needing that attention off the street and physically get them to such an institution? It would probably be against their will, so what mechanism could we use? How would we justify it?

New laws? Enforcing existing vagrancy laws?

I read that some cities are spending somewhere around $30,000 annually on each homeless person. That could go a long way in creating these institutions.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:33 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,006,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
In reading all the responses, I get the feeling that most posting agree that some sort of mental institutions need to be reestablished. Of course not the sadistic guards and chains and mistreatment, but modern, safe, educational places with treatment plans.

Do we agree?

The next question is HOW do we "scoop" the homeless needing that attention off the street and physically get them to such an institution? It would probably be against their will, so what mechanism could we use? How would we justify it?

New laws? Enforcing existing vagrancy laws?

I read that some cities are spending somewhere around $30,000 annually on each homeless person. That could go a long way in creating these institutions.
I can't see that being a problem as we regularly "scoop" the homeless and mentally ill into jail. Not making a moral judgement here, but logistically, the scoopening has already occurred. Hehe

Old 02-06-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I can't see that being a problem as we regularly "scoop" the homeless and mentally ill into jail. Not making a moral judgement here, but logistically, the scoopening has already occurred. Hehe
I was stunned quite a few years ago when I ended up in an ER bed for high blood pressure while on a trip. I learned that in that particular state any drunks that were picked up were brought to the hospital...over and over and over.

Think about that expense for a repetitive problem! There must be better solutions.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:58 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,799,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You guys keep talking about the border and all the homelessness.

When I lived in the Washington DC area for most of my adult life, the homeless people I saw were not Mexicans or other Latinos, with some exceptions. They were mostly Blacks and some Whites.

When I lived in Colorado Springs, most of the homeless I saw in the area down by the city library and soup kitchen were not Mexicans or other Latinos. They were White.

I'm not saying there are no homeless Latinos, but here's the data:

"A majority, 40%, were black. ... between 2018 and 2019, 52% of homeless families in 2019 were black. ... Whites ... accounted for 48% of homeless people in 2019." -- HUD under the Trump administration.
Who they are isn't the problem. The problem is why they are and why they are is drug addiction. Almost all homeless people are drug addicts.

Most illegal drugs of every kind, marijuana (and it's not your granddad's marijuana anymore), meth, fentanyl, coke), are smuggled across the Mexican border. There is no hope of reducing drug use without controlling its supply and no hope of that unless the border is rigorously defended.

Drug dealers have gotten so good with their formulary that many first time users become addicts immediately. Over 90%, well over, of first time users of fentanyl enhanced products become and remain addicts. Practically, there is no hope for them. A few may change but for most, the path they have embarked on proves impossible to leave or even to avoid following to its end.

The only hope is to prevent addiction and the only hope for that is to make drugs unavailable.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Who they are isn't the problem. The problem is why they are and why they are is drug addiction. Almost all homeless people are drug addicts.

Most illegal drugs of every kind, marijuana (and it's not your granddad's marijuana anymore), meth, fentanyl, coke), are smuggled across the Mexican border. There is no hope of reducing drug use without controlling its supply and no hope of that unless the border is rigorously defended.

Drug dealers have gotten so good with their formulary that many first time users become addicts immediately. Over 90%, well over, of first time users of fentanyl enhanced products become and remain addicts. Practically, there is no hope for them. A few may change but for most, the path they have embarked on proves impossible to leave or even to avoid following to its end.

The only hope is to prevent addiction and the only hope for that is to make drugs unavailable.
This is a good example of the kind of games you play. You and others often rant about how it's mostly about illegals crossing the border, even after you've been presented with data showing that the vast majority of homeless people are NOT those illegal border crossers.

Then you bring in the drug problem. Funny how you only mention the suppliers of those drugs, but fail to mention the customers buying those drugs -- American citizens.

I would remind you that the issue being discussed is homelessness, not the formulation of drugs.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:51 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,006,129 times
Quote:
The only hope is to prevent addiction and the only hope for that is to make guns unavailable.
Solid argument, when can we start cracking down?

I'm being facetious, as I know it's impossible to fully crack down on these issues. At least, not without becoming a dystopian totalitarian state and causing a whole lotta damage.

So, if this doesn't work and you come to discover that homelessness is a result of extreme wealth concentration, a natural and indelible feature of capitalism (though not exclusively), what then? Cull 'em?

I don't disagree that drugs are a major problem, homeless or not, both a cause and result of homelessness. But the problem isn't that simple. Taking all drugs away to reduce homelessness is like taking away all video games and violent media to prevent school shootings. In other words, I bet the house (pun intended) it won't be very effective.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:07 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,799,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is a good example of the kind of games you play. You and others often rant about how it's mostly about illegals crossing the border, even after you've been presented with data showing that the vast majority of homeless people are NOT those illegal border crossers.

Then you bring in the drug problem. Funny how you only mention the suppliers of those drugs, but fail to mention the customers buying those drugs -- American citizens.

I would remind you that the issue being discussed is homelessness, not the formulation of drugs.
I'm not ranting about illegals, although illegals, being illegal, are worth a rant.

I'm ranting about drugs, their importation from Mexico, and the homelessness they are the cause of. The formulation of drugs is part of the homelessness problem because drug dealers have created formulas that make addiction immediate. Drug addiction, sooner or later, ends in homelessness.

I never said illegals are homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.