Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2021, 07:15 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

In the UK, the Conservatives sold off council housing to the people who lived there. They were able to buy the houses at a very low price because the government needed money. That was a mistake. Anyway...I wont get into that 'cos it gets me angry and frustrated.

Unfortunately, when folks are given something for free they do not appreciate it and often trash it or at least dont look after it. I mean, how many times have you seen someone who has saved and saved and bought their dream car and they are out there every weekend washing it and loving it and appreciating it. That is because they wanted it so much that when they finally achieved it, it meant such a lot to them.

I have 'rented' a house to my step son and a bunch of unemployed people. The Social Services paid the rent for them and they all lived like pigs. So I do not think giving poor people things for free is a good idea. We value what we have strived for.

While money is not a 'sin' nor is 'Heaven' an actual place (as far as I am concerned). I believe Heaven is more of an idea and money is the physical embodiment for energy exchange. So...you do something and I reward you with ....

That reward part is the problem because if we have a reward item (whether it is money or other goods, or something else) we immediately have a physical exchange item for goods and services. THAT is what we need to get rid of in a perfect society. People would do things for each other because they wanted to NOT to obtain a reward or payment. The would impart knowledge because they enjoyed seeing others grow - just like they did when they did not know as much. Rather like an apprentice system. Kids are interested in something, so they find someone who is willing to train them in what they are interested in. And so it continues in that way.

Most of us have interests and would naturally find groups where others who are also interested in that come together. People needing that service or good would come to that group to obtain what they needed.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:39 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
I'm not clear whether some of our posters are describing the United States or Russia in the days of gulags.

As frustrating as the homelessness situation is, I would hate to see us obliterate the freedoms this nation is based on just so we don't have to see something that makes us uncomfortable. And, considering how many claim this to be a christian nation, I don't see much christian charity in many of these posts (and I say that as an atheist).

Old 12-24-2021, 06:13 AM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not clear whether some of our posters are describing the United States or Russia in the days of gulags.

As frustrating as the homelessness situation is, I would hate to see us obliterate the freedoms this nation is based on just so we don't have to see something that makes us uncomfortable. And, considering how many claim this to be a christian nation, I don't see much christian charity in many of these posts (and I say that as an atheist).
Rights come with responsibilities. There is no freedom to live on someone else's private property.

Public property is supposed to be common use, used by everyone. When homeless squatters take over an entire public park or public beach or a series of public sidewalks, then the public intended to use those facilities are prohibited from doing so.

This is wrong. Society breaks down that way.

We should not be tolerating this behavior. There is money to house and treat the mentally ill. We just don't have the political will for it. The ACLU will say we are violating these people's right with compulsory treatment. We are not doing the homeless any favors by incentivising living in danger and discomfort on the streets.

Old 12-24-2021, 06:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Rights come with responsibilities. There is no freedom to live on someone else's private property.

Public property is supposed to be common use, used by everyone. When homeless squatters take over an entire public park or public beach or a series of public sidewalks, then the public intended to use those facilities are prohibited from doing so.

This is wrong. Society breaks down that way.

We should not be tolerating this behavior. There is money to house and treat the mentally ill. We just don't have the political will for it. The ACLU will say we are violating these people's right with compulsory treatment. We are not doing the homeless any favors by incentivising living in danger and discomfort on the streets.
The question in this thread is what would YOU do about the homeless if you had the power to change it? Not what the homeless or anyone else should do. It is about solutions.

Old 12-24-2021, 08:23 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
In natural horse training, you make what THEY want to do less comfortable than what YOU want them to do. Translated to homeless, I think I would set up structured work programs and affordable housing.Patterned after successful programs.

I realize many homeless have chosen that lifestyle but for some it's one consonant away from hopelessness.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:48 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
People may not be so far away from that personal option as some might think ..... here is a recent invention about to be launched in Switzerland. The 3D printed Suicide Pod that a suicider climbs into, lies down, closes the lid and pushes a button and that's it, game over real quick .... https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59577162

Wow. Quite an invention! Figures that one can't just buy it, though. Got to find that big 3-D printer first!

Old 12-24-2021, 11:16 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Here's your chance. What would YOU DO about the situation?

Old 12-24-2021, 12:13 PM

609 posts, read 349,856 times
Several cities in this country are filled with homeless. A tough ruthless decision is required to remedy the problem. Given today's world that King would make that tough decision but he or she would be assassinated the next day.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:53 PM

616 posts, read 341,450 times
Going to play the devil's advocate here ......what happened to "my body, my life, my choice"? Shouldn't we be more accommodating to those living whatever lifestyle they desire? Why reinvent the wheel when we only need to look to the good folks of California that have opened their streets, parks and taxpayer wallets in welcoming those seeking the housing-free lifestyle. California has it figured out.

Old 12-24-2021, 01:49 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Going to play the devil's advocate here ......what happened to "my body, my life, my choice"? Shouldn't we be more accommodating to those living whatever lifestyle they desire? Why reinvent the wheel when we only need to look to the good folks of California that have opened their streets, parks and taxpayer wallets in welcoming those seeking the housing-free lifestyle. California has it figured out.
Yup, that's great and all, but what about those who don't want the housing-free lifestyle? What about those who would like a roof and a bed but who find themselves sleeping on a sidewalk not out of their own choice?

Or those who might "choose" to live on the subway but then attack or harass other users of the system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.