Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 07:09 PM

30,215 posts, read 11,879,363 times

Advertisements

We don't need to continue the war on drugs. If failed and just locked up millions of people because they have an addiction.

Legalize it, regulate it and put a lot of money into rehab and getting people off drugs. Illegal drug sales will fall to zero. The mexican cartel crippled. Crime will drop.

People should have the right to put anything they want in their bodies. Even if its harmful to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 07:46 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,007,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having just read Fentanyl, Inc., it's obvious that the last War on Drugs didn't seem to accomplish much, but lots of incarceration of users and dealers.

This book gave me a preview of what other countries are doing with their War on Drugs, and their war on Fentanyl (50 times more powerful than heroin),and the offshoots of Fentanyl.

What would your Intelligent War on Drugs be like? Any ideas?
The fentanyl, and Opioids/Opiates were prescribed LEGALLY.

The thing is once hooked, you cant control it. Even in Europe its not like they have a complete drug free for all. In most European countries, if get caught with certain amount of drugs, will be considered a dealer, and that is still very illegal. If under, then considered a user, but you must go to treatment.

That is why despite people looking at Europe as an example of decriminalization of drugs, there are still plenty of drug gangs like the Italian N'Drangheta operating and becoming like one of the biggest corporations out there.

If hard drugs become fully legal, you will have addicts everywhere that cant work, and start robbing and killing people to garner enough money to buy drugs.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:59 PM

30,215 posts, read 11,879,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If hard drugs become fully legal, you will have addicts everywhere that cant work, and start robbing and killing people to garner enough money to buy drugs.
Here in Oklahoma the price of weed has dropped 90% with it being able to be purchased at a dispensary. Illegal drugs are more expensive because they are transported and sold covertly. Make it legal the price drops and no one is killing someone for it.

Study up on prohibition and see that the situation is much worse when you make things illegal.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:01 PM

10,362 posts, read 6,918,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having just read Fentanyl, Inc., it's obvious that the last War on Drugs didn't seem to accomplish much, but lots of incarceration of users and dealers.

This book gave me a preview of what other countries are doing with their War on Drugs, and their war on Fentanyl (50 times more powerful than heroin),and the offshoots of Fentanyl.

What would your Intelligent War on Drugs be like? Any ideas?
Since fen is so lethal, I'd say let them eat cake. While this may sound cold, you likely haven't had an addict become combative since you saved their life. (I have.)
They only thing they said? "You wrecked my high."

Pretty much all that matters to them. So, give them what they want.

Worst shift? Had the SAME addict, 4 times for OD....

Old 09-15-2022, 08:05 PM

25,627 posts, read 17,368,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
Drugs are dangerous and addictive and should remain illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So everything that's dangerous and addictive should be illegal/criminalized? If so, then by your own logic, alcohol and tobacco (and a whole bunch of other substances and activities and pastimes that are currently legal) should be felonies, and cannabis should be perfectly legal. Oh, and electricity is dangerous, is it not?........
My point is, you and I do not get to pick what "should be" legal. I believe the law should stay the way it is, and I have made my reason clear.

Those things you listed are not illegal, so users should not be punished.
It's not a hard concept. Do the things that are legal and stay out of trouble. You, the user, do not get to select which products you use based any any other criteria other than what is legal.
Why would you punish someone for using alcohol (for example) when the use of alcohol is legal?
If you want to make all drugs legal then you should try to elect the people who can make that happen.

Want to make your life difficult?... Just make up your own rules about drug use and do what you please. But I have to warn you; it will not turn out well. You may want to study the case of Brittney Griner. She did just exactly what she pleased because she disagreed with the rules.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:44 AM

37,500 posts, read 61,530,858 times
Before we launch yet another war, I would like for us to review the costs.

How much have we been spending on production of opium?

How much have we spent on guarding poppy fields, providing transportation to refining facilities, guarding those facilities, etc.

A couple of times every year, I see news articles about huge confiscations of pure heroin crossing our borders where the smugglers are CIA agents. Why is the CIA in the business of smuggling heroin into America?

Lets compare how much tax funding is spent on supplying heroin to American users, as compared to how much are we spending to treat heroin addiction, and how much are we spending to incarcerate civilians who are convicted for heroin?

The drug trade is multi-faceted, and our tax dollars are flowing into each of these facets.

Old 09-16-2022, 11:08 AM

12,064 posts, read 8,469,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Before we launch yet another war, I would like for us to review the costs.
Also compare to the costs of not fighting addiction:

Are you aware of the positive correlation between addiction and violent crime? You should be before you want to release every addict from incarceration.

How about the billions in lost production hours?

Child abuse and neglect?

Fatal and injurious accidents?

Suicide and mental illness?

And plenty more. Much is human pain and grief that can't be quantified but which has a strong negative effect on the wellness of communities.

Are these things you want to give free rein to so that an addict can have the "freedom" to run his own life while hurting others?

We believe in freedom. Can we balance that with protection of the innocent and the health of the country?

Old 09-16-2022, 12:22 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,007,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Here in Oklahoma the price of weed has dropped 90% with it being able to be purchased at a dispensary. Illegal drugs are more expensive because they are transported and sold covertly. Make it legal the price drops and no one is killing someone for it.

Study up on prohibition and see that the situation is much worse when you make things illegal.
Weed like any product can easily become more expensive as the industry, just like other sectors, become consolidated. Look at all the inflation already happening Again opiates/opioids were legal already. I think they still are. Maybe heroin is not and is expensive.

But that is due to "street value". Once you are hooked, you will do anything to get it including paying more. There is no limit to the demand you have. Plus the drug gangs also price compete, and like keeping a monopoly over turf similar to how legal businesses do things. But usually the drug gangs will enter into a cartel partnership (like OPEC with petrol) to keep the peace, which is how the cartels formed in the first place.

If you have seen places like Kensington nabe in Philly, you will disagree with the "covertly" sold idea. The Alcohol Prohibition is the most over hyped crime era ever. Its all because of Hollywood. All the prohibition gangs were formed well before Prohibition, and still around after it was repealed. Plus a lot of places did not even have prohibition like AC, and Galveston. Some places did not repeal prohibition till the 60s like Mississippi, and Kansas not have public bars till the 80s.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,213,346 times
Illicit drugs is in the top three industries in the US in terms of $$$ To put it in perspective, it ranks ahead of advertising.

$$$ and graft talks, babe. Hiding the nuts & bolts of an industry like that is paramount and they know how to do that - many many willing accomplices at many levels. Centuries of experience with that. Lots & lots of distractions to get people's focus on the wrong things.

You only hear about the level "street level dealers" in the biz. The middle men and the top tier - never. (Bet you'd be shocked if you knew who; although I don't think I'd be very shocked).

Sniff a $500 bill sometime if you wanna see what a coke high is like.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:04 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,403,130 times
A war on drugs is futile because you have to get at the reason people turn to drugs in the first place. It's the sickness of society; mental, physical, emotional, spiritual pain. Think of deep grief magnified by 10X and there's no way out. Hungry ghosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates