Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 02:51 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Much more than twitter will vanish. Most of the internet will shut down as electricity becomes more expensive.
Nope, it will just get far more expensive. Imagine paying $1 per website visited or $1 per 10 minutes streaming netflix.

Everything is about to become more subscription based and transactional. Countless media sites have already shutdown their access to non-subscribers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 09:48 AM

880 posts, read 565,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A good question is asked and discussed here:
https://www.technologyreview.com/202...human-history/

Almost from the time the first tweet was posted in 2006, Twitter has played an important role in world events. The platform has been used to record everything from the Arab Spring to the ongoing war in Ukraine. It's also captured our public conversations for years.
Twitter has become integral to civilization today. It’s a place where people document war crimes, discuss key issues, and break and report on news. Lots of official statements by governments and public bodies are now made on Twitter first.
We cannot deny that FB, Twitter and other social networking sites have had a significant impact in current events around the world. The power of social media has allowed our society to be much more knowledgeable of worldwide affairs and news.

It's getting obvious that will be almost impossible to hold such vast amount of information on any servers.
What will happen to it in the future? Since there’s no indication that those formal records of government agencies have ever been archived, or indeed how they’d go about doing that. The US Library of Congress tried that for 8 years and stopped - the data is just too massive.

So, how important are social medias as a host of historical information?

Just because Twitter may file for bankruptcy, that does not mean that Twitter will "go away." Elon Musk will probably file Chapter 11, which in almost every case results in a continuation of the company. This is what Elon wants, as it will result in the forgiveness of much of the debt that Twitter has, which incidentally would have been the result of past management.

As for saving this information... there's far more bad on social media than good, so I won't shed a tear.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:56 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post
Just because Twitter may file for bankruptcy, that does not mean that Twitter will "go away." Elon Musk will probably file Chapter 11, which in almost every case results in a continuation of the company. This is what Elon wants, as it will result in the forgiveness of much of the debt that Twitter has, which incidentally would have been the result of past management.

As for saving this information... there's far more bad on social media than good, so I won't shed a tear.
As a bankruptcy lawyer I can tell you that companies that have a significant portion of their assets in IP are challenging to reorganize. Also, the bankruptcy law amendments enacted in 2005 are a dog's mess to negotiate.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As a bankruptcy lawyer I can tell you that companies that have a significant portion of their assets in IP are challenging to reorganize. Also, the bankruptcy law amendments enacted in 2005 are a dog's mess to negotiate.

I would question how much of Twitter is actually IP, other than branding at this point. There are so many social media sites that essentially use a similar framework.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:04 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari2600 View Post

Past management is not responsible for $13 billion in debt now on Twitter’s balance sheet”
”In taking the company private in his $44 billion purchase of Twitter, Musk cashed in some of his Tesla stock and also saddled the social platform with $13 billion in debt, which is a massive obligation for a company the size of Twitter.”
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/12/11362...tcy-how-likely

Old 11-15-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Past management is not responsible for $13 billion in debt now on Twitter’s balance sheet”
”In taking the company private in his $44 billion purchase of Twitter, Musk cashed in some of his Tesla stock and also saddled the social platform with $13 billion in debt, which is a massive obligation for a company the size of Twitter.”
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/12/11362...tcy-how-likely

Twitter had a loss every year except 2018 and 2019: https://www.netcials.com/financial-n...1-TWITTER-INC/

The point I was trying to make was that Twitter has been wildly unprofitable due to the decisions of management over the past decade, over-hiring, employee overhead, poor cost model, etc. I'm sure Elon would love to have his debt cancelled.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:32 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
History is fleeting. Some history is never recorded. Some is lost just like the Library of Alexandria. Some history is never fully recorded.

It hard to say in some cases what history is pertinent and what is not. Personally I don't see Twitter as being any more relevant than post it notes and its loss, should it occur, trivial. Any thing truly relevant will be documented elsewhere.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Not important at all.

One person's subjective view based on a differently twisted agenda and false narrative is not history.

That there might be Millions of people proffering subjective views based on a differently twisted agenda and false narrative doesn't make it history, either.

Old 11-19-2022, 04:23 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,972 times
Quote:

I'd say not important at all. We will be lucky if we don't blow ourselves up in the next 50 years...and if we don't the planet resources may run out, or another real potent virus comes along. If we can avoid all those pitfalls, the sun will eventually roast whoever remains, along with any types of records we keep, and that is a certainty.

Of course, if historical records are deemed important enough, I guess we can shoot them off into deep space, and maybe by some stroke of dumb luck an alien life form can try to decipher through yawns what McDonalds Trump had lunch at.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:31 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory310 View Post
I was only on Twitter for a few months and found it to be a total waste of time. Confusing and no different than an unmoderated forum where one can say pretty much anything and get away with it. Can be name calling, lies, conspiracy theories and so on. I finally deleted it and was glad to be done with it. That said. I fail to see how any historical records can be expected to come from this.
I think that the comparison of Twitter to "an unmoderated forum" by Gregory310 in the above post is an apt one. For all the claims about Twitter's (debatable) value to the human record, I think that Twitter has served mainly to advance the worst of the human record.

To quote a recent news article: "Twitter has fueled a rise in hate posts, including about Jews, according to watchdogs who monitor the social media platform."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates