Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 12:31 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times

Advertisements

I’m an educator. We cannot recruit teachers. Many are stressed out. Behavior issues are at alarming rates with students. Some parents are not civil, and they will cuss you out, fight, and try to get you fired if pushed to the limit when they are displeased with the system.

It may get to the point where we shut this system down. Homeschooling, private schools, everyone for themselves may be the only way moving forward.

If kids were not in school everyday, what would they be doing? Where would we send them? Nowhere!
Monday through Friday, the US isn’t geared to let our kids roam around aimlessly. So, for that reason, we have nothing to fear. The educational system will not go away.

I keep hearing that many believe it may one day.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:17 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times
Who is advocating for getting rid of the education system? Don't confuse reform with abolishment. I think everyone understands it’s disadvantageous to society as whole to have children not in school. At least in the industrialized world. Reforms merely seek ways to improve education quality and results. Now the merits of these reforms can be debated forever, with many eventually dividing into ideological opposing sides. The opposing sides are so great that nothing meaningful gets done.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:46 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Who is advocating for getting rid of the education system? Don't confuse reform with abolishment. I think everyone understands it’s disadvantageous to society as whole to have children not in school. At least in the industrialized world. Reforms merely seek ways to improve education quality and results. Now the merits of these reforms can be debated forever, with many eventually dividing into ideological opposing sides. The opposing sides are so great that nothing meaningful gets done.
In frustration, I have heard many teachers say the best solution would be to rid the educational system.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:52 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
In frustration, I have heard many teachers say the best solution would be to rid the educational system.
There are may who will argue that is the best solution. But that's only part of what they're saying. The current system has reached the point where it's beyond repair. The only answer may be to scrap it and replace it with a new system. Much the same way when you're refrigerator stops working, you get rid of it and buy a new one.

For most people, other than a few on the fringe, that's what they're talking about. Getting rid of the current system and replacing it with a new one.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:36 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
This simply does not conform to standards for the Great Debates forum, it's merely recitation of unfounded fears and wild speculations. If the OP wants I'll move it to the Education forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.