Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 06:20 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
"My sense is the West will ultimately not survive it's experiment with the "new" reality. It's the boredom of excess setting in. The corruption of wealth and leisure. Something's gotta give.
I think the idea of this agitation is for "something to give." These people are against social order. Social order has accommodated many strikes against discrimination. We ended racial discrimination. We improved as a society, notwithstanding Bull Connor's and Ross Barnett's hysterics. Women's liberation has rendered half the population not helpless slaves to their husband, barefoot and pregnant. Gay liberation allows people to maximize their potential.

When the parade went further, to "gay marriage" and now trans (whatever it is it's not liberation) the bridge has crossed inevitably into mindless destruction.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:30 AM

4,206 posts, read 2,522,553 times
In Albania are the burrnesha; women who pledge to live as a man. Biologically, they are women. But there are people who have both sexes; today surgery is done to "correct" it, but what about those who were born before there was a surgical option. Personally, I have wondered about Alexander Stephens, VP of the Confederacy, but consider Thomas(ine) Hall.

Hall, an English army veteran, came to the Virginia colony in 1629. The Quarter Court got involved - the link below explains why (so named since it met quarterly; it was the highest court in the colony). It was decided Hall was both a man and woman and ordered Hall to dress with clothing worn by both sexes. https://encyclopediavirginia.org/ent...-april-8-1629/.

Last edited by webster; 04-01-2023 at 06:48 AM..

Old 04-01-2023, 07:40 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,239,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think the idea of this agitation is for "something to give." These people are against social order. Social order has accommodated many strikes against discrimination. We ended racial discrimination. We improved as a society, notwithstanding Bull Connor's and Ross Barnett's hysterics. Women's liberation has rendered half the population not helpless slaves to their husband, barefoot and pregnant. Gay liberation allows people to maximize their potential.

When the parade went further, to "gay marriage" and now trans (whatever it is it's not liberation) the bridge has crossed inevitably into mindless destruction.

I was soooooo tempted... but I stayed away from the political aspect so I wouldn't be called naughty.

There's another agenda at work. And it's not about "liberating" anybody from anything really (except reason).

Old 04-01-2023, 10:44 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,446,795 times
I remember when the words were synonymous. Something came along and altered the meanings. I only have a rough understanding of the politics of etymology so I don't know the history of that transition.

As far as I can analyze it from a social perspective we are able to define something by its thoughts and its behavior regardless of its genetic makeup or essence. That's more like a psychological diagnosis than a definition, I think.

And the scientific mindset in me resists. If you remove a fly's wings it doesn't become a beetle. A frog which doesn't croak or jump is still a frog.

Being of a mental health-oriented bent I have tried to find some personal compromise with this paradox. My hope is that eventually more studies will be done so that people who want correct labels can find them. It's going to get increasingly complicated, I think. There are a multitude of variations.

From my perspective hardly worth pinning down but from that of those who struggle, very important, I'm sure. My main concern is resolving this social/scientific paradox in a manner that is health-promoting, both physically and mentally.

We have been able to assign a fairly good definition to nearly everything that exists, thus far. I don't believe that we are incapable of defining a man or a woman or any of the variations.

Old 04-01-2023, 12:39 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
I saw a video on social media yesterday for Trans Day of Visibility, where a trans man showed how his wife giving him a masculine haircut during the pandemic triggered his transition, look at him now, etc. We know that having short hair isn't necessarily masculine, but for this person, presenting as a man is what he feels he should be deep down. Do I understand what that feels like? Absolutely not, but it does not hurt me one bit to respect that this is who he is and wants to be. I'm not going to ridicule, I'm not going to disrespect, nor do I think it's any kind of societal downfall.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:35 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,339,906 times
I had a discussion with a woman (yes, she identifies with "she, her, hers" pronouns, but also "they, them") in my workgroup about transgenderism.

She gave us a presentation once about the gay and trans communities (not the same). She hasn't stated that she is gay, but I can see similarities with other lesbians that I have known. However, when she stated that she is non-binary, I asked for an explanation.

She drew three lines, like the following.

Man |--------->
Woman |--------------------------------------->
Other |------------------>

She indicated that the lines showed how she felt overall; i.e., mostly like a Woman (farthest to the right), sometimes Other (partway to the right), and sometimes like a Man (farthest to the left).

I asked for her to describe what she felt those times she felt like Other. She couldn't explain.

My suggestion, for which she stated that she understood my point, is that the issue is along a continuum as follows:

Woman <------------------------------------------------------------------> Man

The sexes (genders) are binary. Ask Richard Dawkins.

However, movement along that binary continuum can occur. For example, in SE Asia I knew of several young men who took estrogen to change their appearances to that of more female. (In Malay, they are called "pondan"; which is transvestite). In fact, I had seen one of my male students one evening dressed as a woman as my wife and I returned home from a restaurant. The other students knew about this aspect to him, but didn't give him grief, at least not in my presence. And this was in a Muslim society! (Solved by tacit acceptance although officially denounced.)

However, I don't recall knowing any women in SE Asia who pretended to be men. Anyway, the point is that transgender can be explained along a binary spectrum without introducing the extremely non-scientific "multiple gender" idea.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:02 PM

19,068 posts, read 27,648,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I saw a video on social media yesterday for Trans Day of Visibility, where a trans man showed how his wife giving him a masculine haircut during the pandemic triggered his transition, look at him now, etc. We know that having short hair isn't necessarily masculine, but for this person, presenting as a man is what he feels he should be deep down. Do I understand what that feels like? Absolutely not, but it does not hurt me one bit to respect that this is who he is and wants to be. I'm not going to ridicule, I'm not going to disrespect, nor do I think it's any kind of societal downfall.

I'd suggest to watch South Park episode about Mr Harrison gender transitions. As in - transitions, as it had many. That would be a very good example of what goes in their minds.

South Park has some very very deep examples on many issues we are facing ....

Old 04-01-2023, 08:44 PM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I was soooooo tempted... but I stayed away from the political aspect so I wouldn't be called naughty.

There's another agenda at work. And it's not about "liberating" anybody from anything really (except reason).
To me “liberation” is the process of freeing somebody or some group from restrictions. Nobody has positives yet transsexuals, queers, intersexual‘s, or the like face any restriction whatsoever, other than “transitioning” children without their parents’ knowledge or input. I don’t know the right term but in no way is it freeing anyone from anything.

Old 04-02-2023, 08:28 AM

19,068 posts, read 27,648,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
To me “liberation” is the process of freeing somebody or some group from restrictions. Nobody has positives yet transsexuals, queers, intersexual‘s, or the like face any restriction whatsoever, other than “transitioning” children without their parents’ knowledge or input. I don’t know the right term but in no way is it freeing anyone from anything.

Correct. In no way liberal craze on "freeing" that population from "years of unjustice and segregation" is "freeing" anything. Thier minds are trapped inside their bodies, they are innately well aware of what they are, that's why they try to "fix" it to start with - but that is all inside. Nothing from the inside can fix the inside.

As always, the right way to cure any disease is to find the root cause of that disease and treat THAT, not its symptoms.

In the case, applicable to OP, one needs to know, what human is and what is the root cause of his condition and treat THAT. Problem is - outside of very few, that do not speak on it, no one really knows all this. So, symptoms are treated or, used for personal gain.

Old 04-10-2023, 07:50 AM

7,882 posts, read 3,866,155 times
A Biologist Explains Why Sex Is Binary
In an effort to confuse the issue, gender ideologues cite rare ambiguous ‘intersex’ cases.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-biolo...homas-3d22237e <== possibly behind a paywall

http://archive.today/2023.04.09-1817...homas-3d22237e <== same article, no paywall

Quote:
When [we] biologists claim that sex is binary, we mean something straightforward: There are only two sexes. This is true throughout the plant and animal kingdoms. An organism’s sex is defined by the type of gamete (sperm or ova) it has the function of producing. Males have the function of producing sperm, or small gametes; females, ova, or large ones. Because there is no third gamete type, there are only two sexes. Sex is binary.

Intersex people, whose genitalia appear ambiguous or mixed, don’t undermine the sex binary. Many gender ideologues, however, falsely claim the existence of intersex conditions renders the categories “male” and “female” arbitrary and meaningless.
And

Quote:
In reality, the existence of borderline cases no more raises questions about everyone else’s sex than the existence of dawn and dusk casts doubt on day and night. For the vast majority of people, their sex is obvious. And our society isn’t experiencing a sudden dramatic surge in people born with ambiguous genitalia. We are experiencing a surge in people who are unambiguously one sex claiming to “identify” as the opposite sex or as something other than male or female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates