Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 07:14 PM

8,061 posts, read 9,273,184 times

Advertisements

Watching some astronomy shows about the planets and galaxies makes you realize how powerless we are in stopping changes. The universe is going to do its thing. Black holes, asteroids etc.

Our planet has gone through many changes during its lifespan. We can try to adapt as well as we can but the planet will do what it wants to do. I would argue our building practices are more of a cause of destruction in light of global warming and that should be our concern rather than thinking we will be able to reduce global temperature significantly.

Maybe instead of giving rich people tax breaks to buy EVs, we should be buying out mansions/condos on the beach and replace them with protective vegetation covered dunes, restore barrier islands as true barriers etc. You know like putting back things the way it was designed for.

Set up a nationwide system of pipes to carry water from areas that are getting flooded to areas that are in severe drought to try to reduce wildfire risk that becomes mud slide risk the next year. We need to try to create a more homeostasis type of environment instead of the switching cycles of drought/flood/fires.

Old 06-04-2024, 08:52 PM

30,530 posts, read 12,099,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post

I'm hopeful that we can at least figure out how to brace for a hard landing and survive as a species the next couple centuries, to allow time for a reversal. But this may or may not be possible. If not, hopefully we can find another habitable planet, and this would become a reality and not some science fiction movie.
The problem is humans. We are the problem. As a fellow human I have skin in the game regarding this. When people say they want to save the planet what they are really saying is keeping the planet hospitable for humans to survive. If you really want to save the planet humans have to become extinct. Yet some want to blame cows.

But the planet might be in luck. Between all out nuclear war, a weaponized virus capable of killing off the entire human race and a potential EMP attack there are endless ways of humans self destruction. An EMP attack might really be the solution. Knock human kind back to the dark ages, a big chunk of the worlds population will die off. Global warming will reverse on no time.

Old 06-05-2024, 03:17 AM

25,014 posts, read 9,763,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Is It Possible To Win The War Against Climate Change? What Can We Do?
There is no war against climate change, only delusion.

There is nothing humans can do, the climate changes, it will always change

IF the wealthy oil gulf states, who have to suffer through unbearable heat can't control the weather, then neither can your Tesla or Prius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
We are making progress. The amount of warming the earth is projected to face by 2100 has dropped in the last 10 years by 1 degree Celsius.
Who is we? Humans have done nothing to control the climate. Last I checked, there were still planes in the air, cargo ships in the sea, railroads on the track, and 18 wheelers on the roads.

So unless all those become banned tonight, which they won't, there is nothing "we" are doing.

Old 06-05-2024, 05:32 AM

23,460 posts, read 29,374,786 times
One of the more far-fetched ideas from the book, which seems unimaginable:

Some very serious-minded scientists at NASA, have come up with a plan that could actually push our planet away from the sun. The concept is called Gravity Assist and it's how we currently change the trajectory of satellites in space. Gravity assist works by leveraging the gravity of a planet.

Even if gravity assist worked in moving the planet, there would be stellar consequences. The moon would be thrown out of whack. Without our moon, Earth would rotate faster, meaning days would only be 8 hours long. Wind speeds would increase dramatically around the planet, 100 miles per hour winds could occur daily.

Another unimaginable idea from Bill Gates/Microsoft.

Bill Gates and a group of scientists have developed technology to stop tropical cyclones in their path. They have patented a device that destabilizes one of the main power sources for storms: warm surface water. By funneling warm surface water to cooler ocean depths and cycling the colder water back up, the process would be able to reduce the strength of tropical storms such as hurricanes and typhoons. Chilling warm seawaters is no guarantee that a storm won't form elsewhere, but it holds promise.

If the ancients had the technology available to them centuries ago, you can well believe they'd be experimenting with technology to fight climate change.

Old 06-05-2024, 09:57 AM

8,061 posts, read 9,273,184 times
Man be leery about some of these possible remedies. Knock the earth a little too far away from the sun and live as we know it ends.

Old 06-05-2024, 11:20 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,869,882 times
The world isn't moving to true clean energy such as solar and atomic. We're still burning coal and fossil fuel for energy. Cars are not the main culprits here, the government is falsely blaming consumers in order to create a false alarm about climate change.

They have not move towards clean energy production technology themselves. Burning natural gas can be clean if they enforce recapturing and filtering of carbon monoxide and why is europe busy burning coal when they keep touting that solar and wind is replacing all their energy.

They are lying to the people when they should be using atomic energy.

Old 06-05-2024, 11:29 AM

10,761 posts, read 8,025,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Who is we? Humans have done nothing to control the climate. Last I checked, there were still planes in the air, cargo ships in the sea, railroads on the track, and 18 wheelers on the roads.

So unless all those become banned tonight, which they won't, there is nothing "we" are doing.
We, as individuals, states, countries, etc. Who else could I possibly be referring to?

CO2 emissions are not an all or nothing proposition, not sure why you see things this way.

Old 06-05-2024, 11:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,266,025 times
The climate always will change. Some cultures will survive those changes and others will perish.

The End.

Old 06-05-2024, 12:11 PM

170 posts, read 68,425 times
I don't know but it always upsets me the sheer amount of wastefulness I see on a daily basis, be it from loved ones or people in public. Food, water, electricity: taking a small bite out of a meal and discarding the rest, leaving lights and appliances running when they aren't in use, excessive irrigation etc. I even know people that like to brag about taking hours-long hot showers for no good reason

I feel that's possibly the main source of the problem. We have a very large population of people with some pretty poor habits and they seem to assume there is just an endless supply of everything

Old 06-05-2024, 12:26 PM

615 posts, read 336,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Climate change is very real. Natural and man made forces both contribute to climate change. You cannot stop natural climate change but you can try to reduce human contributions to climate change. Humans should also try to adapt to climate change, which is inevitable (the natural part). But I have no idea what the definition of a "win" against climate change would look like, and I don't think the OP does either.
What a sensible response. I agree.

What gets me, is that "we" have known about this "changing climate" for at least 35 years and have done practically nothing.

Granted we cannot do anything about natural climate variability, although we can and should try to adapt.

And it is still not clear to me the relative magnitudes of natural and unnatural radiative forcing. Yes I am aware of the scientific literature on the subject. And we still don't fully understand it.

What to do about the human component to climate change? How about stop pretending we are in control. Some of the "solutions" may very well make things worse. Human arrogance is not pretty. And mother nature is smarter than we are. Would not surprise me if mother nature has some twists and turns in store for us yet.

Bottom line is the best we can do is adapt. And not #^@(@&^*( with the environment is always a good idea. Who knows what feedback mechanisms she has yet to invoke. Stay tuned. It may be a bumpy ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.