Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:45 AM

179 posts, read 556,894 times

Advertisements

Based of several articles I was reading today, I got wondering "what makes an American the "TRUE" American or a "GOOD" American"?

What would be the characteristics you'd say "that's totally American?"

So I figured I'd googel what the immigration officers do to determine who'd get citizenship in our country and who doesn't and came across this test on the link below - Up til then I actually considered myself fairly smart, well paying job after graduating collage etc - But if these listed question's are what makes someone a good citizen or not- I'd def better find a new home quick

So I just wanna know what you all think?

Questions and Answers for New Naturalization Test
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 AM

268 posts, read 1,050,025 times
Those questions are designed to make sure that naturalized citizens know the law of the land, the structure of government, and a history of the formation of America.

Moreover, when one goes through the naturalization process, those questions and answers are actually supplied to the applicant. So clearly, the objective is not to test prior knowledge, but rather to ensure knowledge.

The "vetting" process actually begins 5-6years prior to the taking of this test. The normal citizenship status is obtained by first applying to be a permanent resident. This can be through many different channels (being a person this country needs - such as having a PhD in the sciences, or a specialized training; being married to an American; requesting asylum; etc.), then the application is processed, the FBI checks your background, and then - depending on how swamped the immigration office is - after about a 2year wait (and upwards of $2000 dollars in lawyer and US fees) in which the applicant is not allowed to leave the US (without getting permission - which is another serious process), if the applicant's files check-out, the applicant may get permanent residency status.

There is then something like a 3-5 year wait as a permanent resident before one can apply for citizenship. At this point, having been vetted through the permanent residency application, the only thing that is needed is to get another FBI check, do the forms, pass the oral examination (3-4 questions from those questions mentioned above), a short test of English, and the swearing in.

Bottom line: the test for being a "good" American as far as immigration is concerned is not really there. In the case that one applies as a "needed" person, one simply sends documentation of one's training and specialization. In the cases where one is married to an American, one is seeking asylum, etc - there is no test for being a "good" American (except for the FBI check).

Old 09-21-2008, 11:38 AM

I think you misunderstood what I tried asking. I was using this for questioner for a reference and I understand it purpose.

I wanted to kick off a conversation what each & everyone of YOU think what makes a good American? What makes American's different to anyone else? What's THE American charter.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,079 times
well according to Bill'O a good american should just "shut up" when the govt is doing things we don't agree with.

My view. A good american undertands what the consitiution means. That means keeping a look out for all people forgien and "domestic". That was put in there for a reason.

Also a good American respects that everybody is going to be different in some way shape of form. We are not cookie cutter, we have people off all different backgrounds, colors, class, sizes and shapes and thats the reason we are in america, becuase we wanted to have our own idenity.

IMO most people don't wanan really be americans, becuase they are scared of being on a "list" loosing there homes or jobs, or be looked upon by neighboors as being a troublemaker. When this country was founded the people who took a stand faced death if they were ever caught, understood the risk, and never backed down. We are facing a time or tyranny in our own back yard and a lot of people are just scared. I am too at times. But you don't have to start a revolution or anything. You just have to get people informed and once the masses have the blinders off you can make change without violence. The problem that i fear is that before we can make it to that point, people are gonna get fed up and hit the street, and I don't know what the outcome of that is gonna be. It was close to happening in the 60s. We have trouble in the 20's, It seems like we are due for some social uprising.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post

Also a good American respects that everybody is going to be different in some way shape of form. We are not cookie cutter, we have people off all different backgrounds, colors, class, sizes and shapes and thats the reason we are in america, becuase we wanted to have our own idenity.
I like that one, very well put.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,093 times
In my eyes a 'true' American is someone who has his/her own mind and not afraid to voice an opinion.

Someone who protects with integrity, alone or in numbers.

Someone who, even though doesn't agree with, will stand shoulder to shoulder with any other American when the need arises.

Someone who comes to the aid of another no matter where either falls on the socio-economic ladder or politically, and will assist regardless of gender, race or religion, because another American is in need.

Someone who will stand up and claim his/her American heritage in the face of adversity.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 AM

Nice, 925mine!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 AM

244 posts, read 299,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel079 View Post
if these listed question's are what makes someone a good citizen or not- I'd def better find a new home quick

As a college graduate..., you may be able to appreciate that what you learned there was not so much the requisites you would need for your first job so much as the ability to finish something difficult and sustained. It is important for employers to know that their future employees are capable and willing to endure a strenuous regimen of requirements that prooves to a reasonable doubt that they can be an asset to the company. Just about any occupation or trade has an apprenticeship program, stemming from antiquity, that serves to test the willingness, desire and capability of the neophyte who claims to want to be a part of the industry. It is a weeding out process. In fact, only until recently, the medical profession put such demands on the people trying to make it into the hallowed halls of medicine that their tactics were deemed as a danger to society and relaxed in some areas.

Don't you feel better about an immigrant who wants to be a part of this country so badly that they learn as much or more about our history as we did, or were supposed to, in school?

As far as what makes a good American, the answer to this can be many things. I think what we are best known for is freedom, plain and simple. We are the land of opportunity where with hard work anyone's dreams can come true. Unfortunately, and I have suffered from this affliction, many Americans do not appreciate what they have because they are born into it and take it for granted. Ever wonder why so many foreign immigrants (redundant, I know) become successful and end up owning their own business? No one should be upset by this. It is an inspiration and an example of the desire some of these people have to live the dream they have heard about. It's like that phenonmenon where people who live in a place rarely go to see all the tourist spots, or places that their hometown are known for. Someone recently told me that there are actual statistics for this, and there is a much higher probability of an immigrant becoming either successful, or to become a business owner (not sure which, sorry) than the average American. Think about that.

I have to say, however, that I do not like your question. I think that nationalism is just another of many forms of culture that serve to create separation of people from people. Is it really so difficult to believe that one person is just like another (culture aside), no matter where they come from on the planet? I love how Shakespeare put it: I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means, warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?
- Shylock, The Merchant of Venice

I like to think that what makes a good American is what would make any good person; it is just that here in America we are not only able to decide freely what that is, but we are able, and even encouraged to pursue that. And by extension, a good person is one that has a self-esteem that does not over reach into the personality of others; an intelligence that is capable of understanding, tolerating, and creating; and a fearlessness to look into the places that not only represent fear for themselves, but the fears of their own culture, necessarily autonomous, but willing to accept with open arms and absent errant suspicion those that seek out the beacon of freedom that we have worked hard to maintain and so many others have died for to achieve.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 925mine View Post
In my eyes a 'true' American is someone who has his/her own mind and not afraid to voice an opinion.

Someone who, even though doesn't agree with, will stand shoulder to shoulder with any other American when the need arises.

Someone who comes to the aid of another no matter where either falls on the socio-economic ladder or politically, and will assist regardless of gender, race or religion, because another American is in need.

Someone who will stand up and claim his/her American heritage in the face of adversity.

Someone should make a sticky out of that post.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by 925mine
Quote:

But why only restrict it to another American?
That would be like saying that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights only applies to Americans.
Isn't trying to be a good person not better than just being a good American (or insert any other nationality)?
This way we will never be able to solve the global problems we have nowadays, simple because America sees it differently (like with the Kyoto Protocol*).

Quote:
*The Kyoto Protocol is a protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC or FCCC), an international environmental treaty produced at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED), informally known as the Earth Summit, held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 3–14 June 1992. The treaty is intended to achieve "stabilization of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system."
Source: Kyoto Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oops, I guess I'm going off-topic here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates