Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times

Advertisements

Remember the push to allow a person to invest his Social Security money in stocks? What if that had happened?

I'll agree that the present SSA system needs a major overhaul, but allowing a person to do their own "investing" is a little scary. Maybe if a person has about 20 years or so to go, it would work, but it's still scary.

I inherited some property, sold it and got an AIG annuity. So far, the income has made a difference in the level of our retirement living. I look at it like this. Even if I lose every dime, I would be at the same spot as I would be if I hadn't inherited that property.

There's just something that's not just right if a company such as AIG can have as much control over so much as they seem to do. But frankly, having the Government do the investing, is just as scary. The Powers That Be in Washington don't seem to be exceptionally smart either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
The only thing that Social Security is invested in is US Treasury securities...that safe stuff that everybody is suddenly rushing to buy up these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates