Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think America is Slowly Going Downhill?
Yes, America is headed in the wrong direction. 211 68.73%
No, we're fine. It's just a little downtime. 96 31.27%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 PM

251 posts, read 767,742 times

Advertisements

yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
With all of the recent Wall Street issues, the rising prices of energy, the dying mortgage markets, and all the crooked politicians/CEOs do you think America is headed towards another Great Depression -or at least a recession? Why or why not?

Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Hey Minnehahapolitan my wife and I only make a bit under 18,000 per year together, how much do you make ? You are implying that I or people like me caused this little correction. We can all afford to buck up a bit. Our only vehicle is an 85 pick up with 360,000 miles on it, we have never had any savings account and we both never had any credit cards. If I can buy a commercial building with no money down, rent it out and make more than my payments then flip it and do quite well on the deal than so can anyone else. I think we have become a country of whiners who can't take a bumpy stretch without thinking the sky is falling. Right now is a good time to buy property. I just did buy without any down payment.
Someone just left a nasty name calling rep comment for me calling me a nutcase and the reason the country is in a crises ! What a good laugh I got out of that one. Calling a person names anonymously, Brilliant ! Election years always bring out the worst in people especially when they are afraid they are going to lose. Sure we have a so called crises going on but we all need to buck up a bit and if you think a person needs to be "lucky"or wealthy to buck up for a while, then whatever. I still think this is a great buying opportunity for anyone. If we can do well in these times, then all those people driving new cars should be able to also. I am so sick of hearing well off people whining.
You should read my lines, not between them. I wasn't implying that you contributed to these problems, but some people really are at their financial limits. You may live in a place where you can house yourself on the cheap. It costs me $8500 a year to keep a roof over my head without the luxury of electricity. I should probably eat sometime before Christmas. It may be real easy for you to tell people how they are living outside their means, but you would be surprised by the number of people who have to put groceries on credit or take payday advances. We don't all drive new cars.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
No.

-The U.S. was in infinitely worse shape in 1929.

-In 1945 our national debt was almost double our GDP. Today our national debt is slightly less than our GDP.
What happened after WWII? The most powerful economy the world has ever seen.
We came out the only non-flattened world power after WWII. This is a TOTALLY different scenario. We came out on top because every other country on earth that had any sort of economic power, besides Canada, basically destroyed each other. After WWII, we did well because we had WON, today we aren't winning at anything...

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
With all of the recent Wall Street issues, the rising prices of energy, the dying mortgage markets, and all the crooked politicians/CEOs do you think America is headed towards another Great Depression -or at least a recession? Why or why not?
A result of 8 years of an unqualified and terrible US President. Obama is going to have to clean up Bush's mistakes.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,896,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Hey Minnehahapolitan my wife and I only make a bit under 18,000 per year together, how much do you make ? You are implying that I or people like me caused this little correction. We can all afford to buck up a bit. Our only vehicle is an 85 pick up with 360,000 miles on it, we have never had any savings account and we both never had any credit cards. If I can buy a commercial building with no money down, rent it out and make more than my payments then flip it and do quite well on the deal than so can anyone else. I think we have become a country of whiners who can't take a bumpy stretch without thinking the sky is falling. Right now is a good time to buy property. I just did buy without any down payment.
Someone just left a nasty name calling rep comment for me calling me a nutcase and the reason the country is in a crises ! What a good laugh I got out of that one. Calling a person names anonymously, Brilliant ! Election years always bring out the worst in people especially when they are afraid they are going to lose. Sure we have a so called crises going on but we all need to buck up a bit and if you think a person needs to be "lucky"or wealthy to buck up for a while, then whatever. I still think this is a great buying opportunity for anyone. If we can do well in these times, then all those people driving new cars should be able to also. I am so sick of hearing well off people whining.
I think we can take a bumpy ride here and there but I think its the way it happened that pissed so many poeple off. I hate to think everything I worked for my entire life (including my 401K) could be in jeopardy because of a bunch of irresponsible scumbag predatory lenders...among others.

That is the "bumpy ride" im not ok with so forgive me for whining

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
it's a no-win situation because McCain is in bed with both George Bush Sr. and George W. Bush. He is a war veteran and sees red anytime another country does something he does not like. he will stick our collective american nose out further into other country's business which is not what we should do.

and on the other side, we have an a democrat majority congress and if obama gets in, the dems will pass anything they want like possibly attempting to take our right to bear arms away. i really think we are screwed either way. they're one and the same to me.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
Our economy is going to crash eventually if we keep on going in this direction. Europe and Asia laugh at us and for good reason, they are more economically self sufficient. Look at how much the United States owes other countries in trade deficits. It is staggering.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
We came out the only non-flattened world power after WWII. This is a TOTALLY different scenario. We came out on top because every other country on earth that had any sort of economic power, besides Canada, basically destroyed each other. After WWII, we did well because we had WON, today we aren't winning at anything...
So you are saying that we will collapse because we now have economic competition?

We will be just fine!

We may not be all alone at the top of the heap but we will always be up there just the same.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
A result of 8 years of an unqualified and terrible US President. Obama is going to have to clean up Bush's mistakes.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Teenage crime is increasing, teenagers using drugs is increasing, hitting our police with lawsuits is becoming a sport, and poverty is rising. Wow, I can't wait to see America in 10 years when teenagers today are criminals to the core at 25 years old.

P.S. Obama will destroy America. He's not fit to be a leader, he's sat at a desk his whole life. McCain's experienced the power of war. He's a true leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates