Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be able to afford to Educate your child under a fully privatized system?
Yes 40 59.70%
No 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
It may not be the state's responsibility, but is in the state's best interest to have a well educated society.
While that may sound good in principle, the fact is, we have a large segment of our society are not well educated - in fact, many who did not go to high school - some who did not even graduate from grade schools -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, if someone chooses to have a child or children, they should then be willing to do whatever they need to do to care for those children - including "going into hoc" if that is what it takes to properly educate their child or children. It is not the states responsibility to pay for the rearing of children.
Very well said! Many people don't seem to understand that procreation isn't a Constitutional right. For that matter, education and health care aren't defined as rights in the U.S. Constitution either. Furthermore, nowhere in the Constitution does it say that it is the public's responsibility to raise other people's offspring via taxation or otherwise.

I've been labeled as "anti child", "selfish", etc. ... however, the fact remains that the responsibility of raising children rests entirely on the people who brought the children into the world. While it's true that the upbringing of children is expensive, that shouldn't be society's problem ... and the parents who expect a free ride on their children's education, etc. are truly the selfish ones. Human beings are superior to animals in that we have the capability of taking the necessary precautions & PLANNING prior to reproducing!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:41 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by Valley Native
Quote:
Human beings are superior to animals in that we have the capability of taking the necessary precautions & PLANNING prior to reproducing!
LoL give me 1 example where a nation was able to control the birth-rate of its citizens.
I guess we humans are so 'intelligent' that we are only in a crisis because we planned ourselves into it.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:38 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Valley Native LoL give me 1 example where a nation was able to control the birth-rate of its citizens.
I guess we humans are so 'intelligent' that we are only in a crisis because we planned ourselves into it.
No nation has, which proves my point about how ineffective government is in these matters. Nations shouldn't be in the business of controlling the birth rate ... just as they shouldn't be in the business of encouraging births. These are personal decisions, and it's every person for him/herself.

If people wish to bring children into the world, more power to them ... but they had better be able to afford every aspect of their children's upbringing, including education. If they can't afford it, but go ahead & have children anyway without proper planning, they have no right to expect special entitlements.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:
While that may sound good in principle, the fact is, we have a large segment of our society are not well educated - in fact, many who did not go to high school - some who did not even graduate from grade schools -

I addressed that argument in previous posts.

Of course you are always gong to have a portion of society fall into that category. No society can be 100% of anything!! It's IMPOSSIBLE.

The difference is.. THESE PEOPLE HAD THE OPPORUTUNITY to have an education. No one denied them that, they aren't uneducated because they couldn't afford school.. they are uneducated because they failed to utilize what was in front of them and they squandered the opportunities handed to them. There are always going to be a few in the bunch.

As they say.. you can lead a horse to water.....

Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native LoL give me 1 example where a nation was able to control the birth-rate of its citizens.
Actually communist run China has. Each family is only allowed 1 child.. and you know what happens.. many families that had girls would drowned their baby so that they could have another and hope for a boy Also, orphanages are overrun with Chinese girls and babies parents are forced to put up for adoption if they go over the 1 child rule. ..

I guess he wants us to become like China then!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_control
An important example of mandated population control is China's one-child policy in which having more than one child is made extremely unattractive. China's population policy has been credited with a very significant slowing of China's population growth which had been very high before the policy was implemented. It has come under criticism that the implementation of the policy has involved forced abortions and forced sterilization. However, while the punishment of "Unplanned" pregnancy is a fine, both forced abortion and forced sterilization can be charged with intentional assault, which is punished with up to 10 years' imprisonment. The Chinese government introduced the policy in 1979 to alleviate the social and environmental problems of China[13]. According to government officials, the policy helped prevent 400 million births. However, the reduction in fertility could be more due to the modernisation of China than government policies [14]. The policy is controversial both within and outside China because of the issues it raises; because of the manner in which the policy has been implemented; and because of concerns about negative economic and social consequences

Last edited by TristansMommy; 10-04-2008 at 06:37 AM..

Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 AM

54 posts, read 93,166 times
Quote:
IMO, if someone chooses to have a child or children, they should then be willing to do whatever they need to do to care for those children - including "going into hoc" if that is what it takes to properly educate their child or children. It is not the states responsibility to pay for the rearing of children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
It may not be the state's responsibility, but is in the state's best interest to have a well educated society.
I can absolutely agree with the ideal of individuals having total responsibility for the costs of raising their children. However the health, wealth, and well being of the community as a whole depends on the majority being educated. Education for the commoner moved us from an agrarian society to an industrial society. You can learn to plow without knowing how to read; designing building and repairing the locomotive that took your crops to market required literacy.
Or put another way, if only those with means receive an education where do our doctors, scientists, and engineers etc come from? Only a given percentage of the population want to learn to do any of these things, we limit the numbers capable of learning how when we don't make education a priority. While we could do with fewer lawyers and politicians, I don't want to wait for months to see my doctor or depend upon an engineer who can't do trig to design the next big highway system (specifically bridges & overpass).

P

Old 10-04-2008, 08:18 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by TristansMommy
Quote:
Actually communist run China has.
No it hasn't, the Chinese kept on getting children until they get the much desired boy.
So it was not uncommon to have more than 1 birth a family, but the babies seldom survived if they were a girl.
So even during the communist era the Chinese government was unsuccessful in forcing their citizens to only have 1 birth a family.
Quote:
Also, orphanages are overrun with Chinese girls and babies parents are forced to put up for adoption if they go over the 1 child rule. ..
This already proves that the Chinese communists could not control their birth-rate.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy No it hasn't, the Chinese kept on getting children until they get the much desired boy.
So it was not uncommon to have more than 1 birth a family, but the babies seldom survived if they were a girl.
So even during the communist era the Chinese government was unsuccessful in forcing their citizens to only have 1 birth a family. This already proves that the Chinese communists could not control their birth-rate.

Ah yes.. I didn't look at it that way.. I should rephrase it to the Chinese attempts to control population.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
That would really depend on if they stoped taxing for education. It is realy surprising what a parent pays overall in total eduction taxes> wpould also bring some reality to education. For one thing a student that didn't want to behave and was disruptive could be kicked out and let the parent find a school trhat would take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates