Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
..........wait, teenagers do not yet have a fully developed sense of judgement. .
And yet, we allow them to vote for president, join the military, get married, have children, drive cars and take out loans.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:31 AM

659 posts, read 1,086,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I see three things wrong with this:

The lower the age, the younger the drinker. If the age was 18, then it would be the 14 to 16 year olds thinking THEY are the ones getting away with what is reserved for the older kids. Besides that, 18 isn't so mature that they would use better judgement buying alcohol (beer OR liquor) for underage kids, 12, 14, 16 years old. 18 isn't responsible enough to give that privilege.
12, 14, and 16 year olds already have availibility to alcohol as is. When I was in middle school (6-8 grade, 12-14), there were kids who had alcohol and were getting drunk, simply because they could. Lowering the age will make it no more available to the underage.

Quote:
You say to make alcohol legal and it will eliminate the mystery and desirability. What about illegal drugs. Make them legal and kids AND adults won't want them anymore???? Yeah, right.
Um, yes? It's not making it legal or illegal, it's the emphasis placed on the object that creates the effect. If you put an object on a pedestal, then your going to have what we have today. Take the emphasis off the object and normalize it, you'll see a drop in the desire for it. It's the main reason why Europe has lower binge drinking problems per capita compared to us.

Quote:
You are assuming ALL homes have alcohol in them and ALL families drink. It isn't part of MY job to teach my kid to drink. As a parent, it's my job to dissuade my kid from drinking altogether.
It's good to dissuade, but realize, that temptations weigh heavily on the mind (especially when said temptation can be dangerous and illegal). In conjunction it'd be wise to dissuade your kids from drinking while also telling them the negative side effects of BINGE drinking; drinking in moderation has no long term effects on the body and mind.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:39 AM

622 posts, read 1,725,034 times
Quote:
You are assuming ALL homes have alcohol in them and ALL families drink. It isn't part of MY job to teach my kid to drink. As a parent, it's my job to dissuade my kid from drinking altogether.
Hi Stormy. Actually, I think we are agreeing here. It is your job, and not the Government's to teach good life skills to your kids. However, when we discuss legal drinking age, we're talking about Government laws here, not personal beliefs.

It is my responsibility as a parent to prepare my kids to face all of the dangers and pitfalls that exist in our society. To me, that means learning how to avoid all of the traps that accompany alcohol use in our society.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post

Um, yes? It's not making it legal or illegal, it's the emphasis placed on the object that creates the effect. If you put an object on a pedestal, then your going to have what we have today. Take the emphasis off the object and normalize it, you'll see a drop in the desire for it. It's the main reason why Europe has lower binge drinking problems per capita compared to us.
Bravo!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:08 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,401,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And yet, we allow them to vote for president, join the military, get married, have children, drive cars and take out loans.
Yeah, I know....we are stupid for allowing that, aren't we?

Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I think it's a case of mixed-up priorities. It sends a very warped signal.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:35 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times
Quote:
At what point do we allow our children to grow up? They have to learn responsibility at some point.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,336,402 times
Quote:
I believe we should lower the drinking age to 18. The drinking age of 21 is inconsistent with other laws pertaining to responsibilities that the age of 18 holds.

Such as

-Ability to sign a 6-8 year contract with the military
-Getting bank loans and credit cards
-Being able to live on your own
-Signing leases for apartments
-Paying bills and taxes all on your own
-Being held completely responsible for all of you actions
-Being able to purchase Tobacco products

But after all of these various responsibilities that a 18 year old is deemed old enough to handle, you have to be 21 to drink legally?

What do you think about this?
I think you are absolutely right. For outsiders like me from Germany it is a very strange situation, that people are allowed to drive a 3-tons-SUV with 16, walking around with firearms with 18 (I don't know if this is still the actual situation?) but for drinking beer you have to be at least 21-years old.

In my opinion it would be much better to tell the people about the consequences of alcohol-abuse and then let them make thei're own experiences. Most people are able to show enough responsibillity and after the're first experiences with too much alcohol, they act more carefully next time.
Here in Germany it is allowed to drink alcohol with 18 (beer with 16) , but we don't have very large problems with that, even there is a tendency to the so called "Komasaufen" what means "drinking as much as you can until you break down". This is not a problem about alcohol in general but about youngsters not thinking about what they do.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,069,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
12, 14, and 16 year olds already have availibility to alcohol as is. When I was in middle school (6-8 grade, 12-14), there were kids who had alcohol and were getting drunk, simply because they could. Lowering the age will make it no more available to the underage.

It's good to dissuade, but realize, that temptations weigh heavily on the mind (especially when said temptation can be dangerous and illegal). In conjunction it'd be wise to dissuade your kids from drinking while also telling them the negative side effects of BINGE drinking; drinking in moderation has no long term effects on the body and mind.
Sooo, if we take all restrictions away and be careful to not shed light on things like alcohol and drugs, our kids will grow up knowing how to regulate themselves and not end up druggies and drunks?

How would you go about explaining every person over the age of 21 who are alcoholics?? There is no restrictions on them, yet they continue to be alcoholics thrhoughout their lives. What about the drug addicts who are far into adulthood?? Youth is no excuse for any of them, yet THEY haven't learned, on their own to stay away from drugs, they like them too much.

Let's talk about tobacco. Cigarettes kill people in adulthood. Tobacco can be bought legally by adults, yet they smoke and kill themselves on a regular basis.

Where do you get your point that kids won't drink if is made available to them? They will drink more, and they will drink younger. Same as drugs, same as tobacco.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,842,813 times
Let them drink all they want.

Teenagers are already stupid, loud, and obnoxious.

How much worse could they get if they were drunk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates