Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,951,692 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows racism--White against Black--is alive and well, and most agree, it's wrong and we've had our say against it at every opportunity, publicly and in private conversation. But it's also very true that things have changed significantly for the better and continue to do so. Case in point, the countless Black public figures who have made their own way whom even Whites line up to see, movies, concerts, tv, politicians, etc. But for decades I've witnessed more reverse racism than I ever have 'racism', and a far more aggressive form of racism than in recent years, yet, little to nothing is spoken of it. Why is that?

There appears to be a growing attitude toward all Whites that they're the cause of all failures of Blacks who are unhappy with their lives. What happened to taking responsibility for ourselves, our actions, our failures? That's how we learn from them and keep ourselves from repeating them. Passing the blame to others does nothing but set us up for further failure.

In my perspective, most of the current 'racism' isn't 'racism' as such, but that many are tired of being blamed for the racisms and slavery of the past and tired of Blacks feeling the need to bring up the color of their skin in every conversation on tv as if Whites care about that. Most don't. It's more about being fed up with excuses and blame than racism.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,863,659 times
I think racism is much bigger than a simple black or white issue.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I think racism is much bigger than a simple black or white issue.
I realize that but this is the aspect of it I'm referring to here. I have many Black and many White friends and public figures I admire. But I have little patience for people who blame their failures on others.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:36 PM

331 posts, read 1,381,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I realize that but this is the aspect of it I'm referring to here. I have many Black and many White friends and public figures I admire. But I have little patience for people who blame their failures on others.
i feel the same way. Maybe if these people would get up off their behind and actually do something other than complain, they would see that they are not as held down as they want to believe.

Of course making excuses is easier than making an effort

Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,863,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Well whilst I agree that there is a trend in today's current culture of appropriating blame, one cannot look back in history and see some of the horrific things that have been done simply because of racism and not consider the huge and far reaching impacts of that. Not to mention that the culture of individualisam that now pervades allows for people to appropriate blame on those who do in fact fail for reasons quite outside their control no matter what colour or creed they are.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:42 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,104,404 times
im tellin ya we all got a belly full of it on CDF. im ready to move on how bout you.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
im tellin ya we all got a belly full of it on CDF. im ready to move on how bout you.
How can we be ready to move on when it isn't even being addressed? If I were, I wouldn't be discussing it now.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,759,159 times
When minorities post on the board saying that they want to relocate and would like to find a neighborhood with their culture, nobody says a word about racism.

If a white person makes that same post, people will come out of the woodwork to call them a racist.

Why aren't white people allowed to criticize other cultures for the same things they're criticized for?

Old 11-16-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
When minorities post on the board saying that they want to relocate and would like to find a neighborhood with their culture, nobody says a word about racism.

If a white person makes that same post, people will come out of the woodwork to call them a racist.

Why aren't white people allowed to criticize other cultures for the same things they're criticized for?
I wonder the same thing. For instance, re Obama's comment about his White grandmother, "...typical White person" what if McCain had said, "....typical Black person", what do you suppose would have happened? It didn't matter that Obama was speaking of his grandmother, that's not the point. It just shows a self-loathing, imo, because he himself is half White.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 AM

268 posts, read 1,047,472 times
I think we have to be careful to distinguish between racism that allows any particular race, black or white or whatever, to be disadvantaged simply because of their race versus that of a personal attitude toward someone of a different race.

There is nothing illegal about having a racist attitude as long as a person who is in a position of power does not allow to have that attitude color their judgement. It may be immoral, but it is not illegal.

However, there is something very illegal about using race as a way of judging the ability of another person to do a job.

So if people want to move to a neighborhood of the same race - they may be racist, but so what? But if they then only hire people only from their neighborhood, regardless of someone else having equal or better ability -then that's not only immoral, that's illegal.

So, as to why white people are usually not allowed to criticize other cultures -in the work place- that's usually because the white person is in a position of power over those from other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates