Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 12:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,942,172 times

Advertisements

For those who have read my post about the GLBT community and gay rights, I promise this is not a bashing thread. I read an interesting article from the NY Times.

Faked Evidence of “Gay Conversion”? - TierneyLab Blog - NYTimes.com

By all means, I'm not going to say,"AH HA!" I'm not saying it doesn't work. I have met some "former" gays and say they have been converted, whether be by social, spiritual, or ....whatever the case.

My question is....Can a finding like this have an impact?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 01:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
My take on it is that you can only repress, not convert. I really don't think that therapy could make me into a lesbian, so why would you think it would work on the gays?

You are what you are.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
People are what they are, there's nothing wrong with that. I wonder why so many people must try and change people to be like them, it's a huge amount of wasted effort and intense frustration that can be used for something else more productive. If all the wasted effort to force people to think and believe the same thing could be channeled into something like solving clean energy, it would be solved very quickly.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
I think the fact is that some people are more flexible than others when it comes to who they sleep with. It's only the ridiculous socio-religious pressure on GLBTs to stop being what they are that makes people even discuss this sort of thing.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
Any time there is a perceived 'need', some con artist will step up to the plate and convince others that s/he can fulfill that need. Some people need to hear that "unacceptable" behavior can be changed through therapy, or by some healing herbs, or by some healer with the laying on of hands. Most - dare I say, all? - of the time it's a scam. The only person who can change behavior of ANY type is the person who is practicing that behavior - and they have to want to, as well as be physically, mentally, and emotionally able to. IMHO, most folks are hardwired into what they will and won't do by the time that they are seven - and how they react is based on their experiences in life up til then. That has nothing to do with genetic things that are NOT a choice, however - like having blue or brown eyes, red or blonde hair, or preferring one sex to another. So while folks may change their behavior, they cannot change their genetics, no matter if society decides that being blonde means being stupid or being gay means being perverted.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
NEVER trust a man with a bible in his hand.......... NEVER!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
For those who have read my post about the GLBT community and gay rights, I promise this is not a bashing thread. I read an interesting article from the NY Times.

Faked Evidence of “Gay Conversion”? - TierneyLab Blog - NYTimes.com

By all means, I'm not going to say,"AH HA!" I'm not saying it doesn't work. I have met some "former" gays and say they have been converted, whether be by social, spiritual, or ....whatever the case.

My question is....Can a finding like this have an impact?

This comment of yours made me really laugh I have met some "former" gays and say they have been converted, Really? have they actually converted or are they tired of hearing people talk about the gay issue and decided it was easier to say they converted? I mean really that comment you made makes it sound like they had someone knock at their door with scripture and decided this way is better. Give me a break you can not change what you are born with.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:03 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
This comment of yours made me really laugh I have met some "former" gays and say they have been converted, Really? have they actually converted or are they tired of hearing people talk about the gay issue and decided it was easier to say they converted? I mean really that comment you made makes it sound like they had someone knock at their door with scripture and decided this way is better. Give me a break you can not change what you are born with.
If they were "converted" then they were bisexual and not gay, and they're merely restricting themselves to relations with the opposite sex.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 PM

458 posts, read 1,356,200 times
Oh my good lord, yes that is the case *rolls eyes*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates