Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Define "normal"?
In this instance it would be ppl who look like they did not just come out of a Marilyn Manson concert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I live in a cattle ranching area, and have run cattle myself. We always did our own butchering, but I have spent some time in the local slaughter houses. The experience did not leave me scarred for life, or my son either. The process was really no different than what we do at home come killing time. If one chooses to not partake of this way of life, thats fine. But it is our way of life and the same rule applies from the other end of the spectrum. Our meat animals are not mistreated in any way. Doing so is counterproductive to the process. This is the sole reaason for animals like cattle to exist. This cannot be reversed. Are we to just turn all the meat animals loose on the range and leave them be then? What is your solution to the "problem"?
I think he was reffering too how they are kept on those feed lots and confined so they cant move. I have seen some awful video of how these animals are kept and NOTHING deserves to be treated that way(except Monsanto employees). Slaughter is what it is, if its quick and as painless as possible.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I think he was reffering too how they are kept on those feed lots and confined so they cant move. I have seen some awful video of how these animals are kept and NOTHING deserves to be treated that way(except Monsanto employees). Slaughter is what it is, if its quick and as painless as possible.
Yea I imagin the slaughterhouse districts in a big city , NYC, Chicago, etc is probably pretty rancid and conditions far rom what I'm used to seeing in a ranching community. The people who work in those city meat plants are not quite what I'm used to seeing either I'm sure. Since the animals we butcher belong to us and we have stared at their posteriors over the saddle horn for many a happy hour raising them the attitudes are apples and oranges. Different worlds to be sure. Not all meat raising is created equal.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Yea I imagin the slaughterhouse districts in a big city , NYC, Chicago, etc is probably pretty rancid and conditions far rom what I'm used to seeing in a ranching community. The people who work in those city meat plants are not quite what I'm used to seeing either I'm sure. Since the animals we butcher belong to us and we have stared at their posteriors over the saddle horn for many a happy hour raising them the attitudes are apples and oranges. Different worlds to be sure. Not all meat raising is created equal.
Small ranchers such as yourself take better care of your livestock. Feedlots which are owned by big corps that supply fast food joints are the problems. What they do is a inhumane and just cruel. After all we treat mentally handicapped humans well and they serve less of a purpose then another animal designed for food technichally.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Small ranchers such as yourself take better care of your livestock. Feedlots which are owned by big corps that supply fast food joints are the problems. What they do is a inhumane and just cruel. After all we treat mentally handicapped humans well and they serve less of a purpose then another animal designed for food technichally.
Interesting comparison. And you are correct, in no way are ANY of our meat animals treated cruelly or roughly. They are fed the best we can give them, allowed free movement,(mostly...its required to pen them at times) , we just dong get attached. That happened once. With my now ex and a hog. Wound up with a 500 pound "pet". Lol, what's a guy to do sometimes.?

Old 03-18-2016, 11:53 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Interesting comparison. And you are correct, in no way are ANY of our meat animals treated cruelly or roughly. They are fed the best we can give them, allowed free movement,(mostly...its required to pen them at times) , we just dong get attached. That happened once. With my now ex and a hog. Wound up with a 500 pound "pet". Lol, what's a guy to do sometimes.?
The post you are responding to is seven years old.

You must realize that 99% of meat raised in the US is raised or finished in factory farms. It isn't simply a big city issue. There is no doubt that those conditions are terrible. Absolutely terrible. Those animals live lives that are not worth living the conditions are so bad. It always amazes me how ignorant people who raise their own livestock can be of the commercial farming methods utilized by the large companies that provide most meat in America. I'm quite certain that the average Joe Farmer who has a couple heads of cattle on the back forty probably raises his animals with a decent level of care. That is in no way indicative of the processes that bring meat to the table for 99% of Americans, though.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
The post you are responding to is seven years old.

You must realize that 99% of meat raised in the US is raised or finished in factory farms. It isn't simply a big city issue. There is no doubt that those conditions are terrible. Absolutely terrible. Those animals live lives that are not worth living the conditions are so bad. It always amazes me how ignorant people who raise their own livestock can be of the commercial farming methods utilized by the large companies that provide most meat in America. I'm quite certain that the average Joe Farmer who has a couple heads of cattle on the back forty probably raises his animals with a decent level of care. That is in no way indicative of the processes that bring meat to the table for 99% of Americans, though.
Ummm....I believe I a dressed that in another post above. I'm fully aware how big, commercial lots operate. So the post is old...whoopdy doo. As far as the factory operations go, I'm not endorsing their methods. But, nor is there much I can do to stop such operations either. I don't eat their meat, I eat my own. So, i m not subsidizing them. That last post was more about the humor in my wife getting attached to that hog. An animal, originally meant for ham and bacon, ending up as an enormous"companion" animal. Had to sell her in theme. The feed bill was killing me.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times
My dog is microchipped. He doesn't want to be running free lol. His favorite place to be is between me and my H preferably on the the sofa or bed. Even if we are in different rooms, he stakes out the ground in the middle so he can see where either of us moves.

Why in the world would I not microchip him in the event he gets lost so he could come back to right where he wants most to be??

If I turned him loose tonight, he would be at my front door barking to be let inside. This is a silly thread.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
I microchip my pets because I love them. Since they can't go up to a cop grab their sleeve and say "excuse me officer I'm lost can you call my dad" this is the next best way.

The reason I'm more willing to donate to animal causes is because animals can't help themselves. They are completely at a humans mercy. A human on the other hand can go in a place and say I need help.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
https://www.petakillsanimals.com/

This is all I can think to say on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates