Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Wow mixing of the races is bad!!! Welcome to the dark days of the 20th century.
I didn't take Ohio's post that way at all. It's a complex notion in what Ohio is saying, if I'm understanding them correctly. Mixed is not "better." Staying with your own race/ethnicity/etc. is not "bad." A Jew wanting to marry a Jew is not "bad." A black man who only dates black women is not "racist." It is what it is. People have their preferences. There are ethnicities that have been around for thousands of years because they stayed with people who have similar historical/cultural - and by extension - racial background. There's nothing "wrong" with races not being mixed.

btw, I'm mixed raced. My family is a made up of all colors.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM

262 posts, read 566,959 times
I don't see why Obama being elected president would have any effect on who people want to date.I think it was a regular thing to do before he got elected anyway,and is getting more popular as time goes by.I would never date anyone outside the white race,but thats my preference,I just don't agree with it,people can date whoever they like,its just not for me.I realise some people on here will take that as offensive but that is MY opinion.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 AM

225 posts, read 341,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
So basically you yearn for the day when people no longer have distinct, separate, and unique cultural and ethnic identities?

Why are you hostile to the Irish wanting to remain Irish, the French wanting to remain French, the Russians wanting to remain Russian, the Serbians wanting to remain Serbian, the Chinese wanting to remain Chinese, the Tutsi wanting to remain Tutsi, the Zulu wanting to remain Zulu, the Saudis wanting to remain Saudi, etc...

Do you derive some pleasure from the thought of denying people their culture and heritage? What you suggest is tantamount to genocide, at least culturally speaking.

You're not really for diversity, are you? Because the world you propose would have nothing of the sort, everybody would be pretty much the same, with no differences in hair color or eye color, and probably no real difference in height or body shape. Am I right?
Dang, judging by this post and several down the thread a bit, it sounds like you have an ax to grind or are misunderstanding. No one here is saying that mixed relationships are better or anything. If you have seen such things in the media, share them. All I meant was that I foresee the day waaay in the future when we approach a much more homogeneous look through slow mixing. Man spread over this globe and differentiated to survive. I think this will slowly reverse through our more and more connected world. It's not a call to arms, just a long prediction.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
To answer your question, I would think not.

Just becasue a black is elected president does not mean it signals a rise in inter racial unions. People are people and will fall in love with whomever they choose. The fact more inter racial couples are common place is a sign that meaningless taboos, sterotypes & prejudices are ending- finally.
So if those meaningless taboos, stereotypes and prejudices are finally ending wouldnt you think that it would prompt people to have children with whom ever they want? There is nothing stopping them now.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I hope not. Each "race" has its individual beauty. Although I do find mixed individuals very attractive, it would be a shame to lose all diversity.
I dont think there is such a thing as pure race. We are all mixed. We have a different way of classifying race. A good example is our president who is half Caucasian and half black. People dont want to acknowledge his mix. They rather say he is African American despite his mother being Caucasian. There are countries that are mixed and are still very diverse in color as well as attractive.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
In schools now, most children who are "mixed" are proud of it. It has completely reversed from when I was in school (a while back). I'm surprised that nobody discusses our new President being as Caucasian as he is African-American. Actually, he's an English, Irish, French, Dutch, German, African-American. Mixed is much easier, and most people already are.
Huh? His white side is mainly Irish.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I think the "races" have been mixing at a pretty steady rate since the first man met the first woman with a different amount of melanin in her skin. That will take us back several hundred thousand years I suspect.
If I was not clear I apologize. There are historical events that cause a suddent change. I am wondering if this historical event will cause a suddent increase in racial mixing and an overall new culture of mixed people just as Latin America is today.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Come out of the closet? I wasn't aware we were in closets with this. I was married to a black person for a number of years, and never felt we had to hide it.
Maybe not you but I certainly know of some people that have had to leave their communities in which they grew up because the community was resistant to mixing among Caucasian and Black.

Almost two years ago, I was hospitalized and my roommate happened to share that she (Caucasian) was from Ohio and had to leave the state because she decided to marry an African American. Her family discouraged her from having a wedding ceremony in their local town and refused to pay for the wedding. Very sad.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 AM

I'm in no way insinuating that mixed is better. All I am saying is that when we no longer have these stereotypes or taboos, we can see each other for whom we are and start a life with whom ever we want without thinking of race. Does that make sense?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 AM

1,009 posts, read 874,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Dang, judging by this post and several down the thread a bit, it sounds like you have an ax to grind or are misunderstanding. No one here is saying that mixed relationships are better or anything. If you have seen such things in the media, share them. All I meant was that I foresee the day waaay in the future when we approach a much more homogeneous look through slow mixing. Man spread over this globe and differentiated to survive. I think this will slowly reverse through our more and more connected world. It's not a call to arms, just a long prediction.

I'm pretty sure that the people who said they are waiting with breathless anticipation for the day when all races are mixed and there are no unique cultures, believe that there is something morally superior to miscegenation as opposed to homogenous marriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates