Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:57 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I'm not necessarily convinced that Walmart's success at the expense of American manufacturing jobs being sent overseas is a good thing. There are costs to cheap products. Nothing comes free.
I don't disagree and I rarely shop at Walmart, but many Americans do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I'm not necessarily convinced that Walmart's success at the expense of American manufacturing jobs being sent overseas is a good thing. There are costs to cheap products. Nothing comes free.

i wonder if any product from china will ever become an antique?? i would say not there all going to the landfill...

Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i wonder if any product from china will ever become an antique?? i would say not there all going to the landfill...
With the quality of most things coming out of China, that's all the stuff is good for.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
globalization is good for big companys like caterpiller wallmart chrysler gmc etc... but do you think it's good for all the small businesses that make up like 80% of this countries work force... personally i think it is a bad think we are becoming to dependant on other countries for our energy and products that are manufactured by legal slave labor.... what do you think??
Businesses just found cheaper labor overseas, and like a person leaving their spouse for another lover, demonized the spouse. "Americans cost too much." When they knew that Americans were their MARKET, who bought THEIR products. We were sold on the Walmart mentality, that cheaper was always better. Cheap cheap cheap. Yeah, well, we all have it cheap now, and look where it got us.

Cleveland suffered the ultimate betrayal for having been a host of a great workforce for many years. And it still has a great workforce.

When steel, automotive, and other manufacturing pulled out, we were told we would get "high tech". But high tech went overseas too, and like Cleveland could just go from being an industrial giant to a high technology, IT city overnight.

You can blame corporate greed again. Yet, the people are blamed. "Americans cost too much to employ." or "Unions got greedy." Blah blah blah. Yeah, blame the wife because you found a cheap bimbo. Corporate greed flying around in corporate jets, figuring out ways to cheap the American people, who buy their products. They have no allegiance to their own land.

I am tired of people bashing American workers. You get a call or make a service call and it's in another nation with a guy calling himself "Kevin Brown" and you can't understand him and he keeps repeating some scripted mantra. You get frustrated because he can't understand what you are talking about. I had that happen awhile ago, and demanded I get an English speaking customer service agent, or I was going to call their corporate headquarters. Of course, I didn't, so I called their corporate headquarters and told them I am demanding a refund. I did get that...

Americans were bashed for being in unions. Cost too much, but now the foreign industrialized nations are learning what it is like to work for people who don't care if you get scalded or lose a limb.

Americans were bashed for "being too expensive." But wasn't it REALLY about companies finding a cheaper labor source, so they had to demonize America? They feel no loyalty to their people who bought their products or services and made them rich. Nope, not when they could go overseas and make MORE money.

Somehow, making millions became some sort of a god in this country. Anything to make more was idolized and justified. Firing the most experienced and competent of workers was justified.

Now, quality is so low. You can see it in what you buy. People don't expect much now. You buy something, expect to replace it in a year or two.

So the next time someone bashes American workers and says Americans brought this on themselves, ask them if the CEOs were starving and not even making a profit, that they had to move overseas. People buy into the lie, and start believing it themselves, and do more damage by supporting that garbage.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Businesses just found cheaper labor overseas, and like a person leaving their spouse for another lover, demonized the spouse. "Americans cost too much." When they knew that Americans were their MARKET, who bought THEIR products. We were sold on the Walmart mentality, that cheaper was always better. Cheap cheap cheap. Yeah, well, we all have it cheap now, and look where it got us.

Cleveland suffered the ultimate betrayal for having been a host of a great workforce for many years. And it still has a great workforce.

When steel, automotive, and other manufacturing pulled out, we were told we would get "high tech". But high tech went overseas too, and like Cleveland could just go from being an industrial giant to a high technology, IT city overnight.

You can blame corporate greed again. Yet, the people are blamed. "Americans cost too much to employ." or "Unions got greedy." Blah blah blah. Yeah, blame the wife because you found a cheap bimbo. Corporate greed flying around in corporate jets, figuring out ways to cheap the American people, who buy their products. They have no allegiance to their own land.

I am tired of people bashing American workers. You get a call or make a service call and it's in another nation with a guy calling himself "Kevin Brown" and you can't understand him and he keeps repeating some scripted mantra. You get frustrated because he can't understand what you are talking about. I had that happen awhile ago, and demanded I get an English speaking customer service agent, or I was going to call their corporate headquarters. Of course, I didn't, so I called their corporate headquarters and told them I am demanding a refund. I did get that...

Americans were bashed for being in unions. Cost too much, but now the foreign industrialized nations are learning what it is like to work for people who don't care if you get scalded or lose a limb.

Americans were bashed for "being too expensive." But wasn't it REALLY about companies finding a cheaper labor source, so they had to demonize America? They feel no loyalty to their people who bought their products or services and made them rich. Nope, not when they could go overseas and make MORE money.

Somehow, making millions became some sort of a god in this country. Anything to make more was idolized and justified. Firing the most experienced and competent of workers was justified.

Now, quality is so low. You can see it in what you buy. People don't expect much now. You buy something, expect to replace it in a year or two.

So the next time someone bashes American workers and says Americans brought this on themselves, ask them if the CEOs were starving and not even making a profit, that they had to move overseas. People buy into the lie, and start believing it themselves, and do more damage by supporting that garbage.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
it's a throw away world now!!! and we are throwing this country right down the toilet....there is no free trade with china i give you one you give me three.. they should call it uneven trade..

Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,697 times
Only good for the USA if we can maintain a trade surplus...

Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
globalization is good for big companys like caterpiller wallmart chrysler gmc etc... but do you think it's good for all the small businesses that make up like 80% of this countries work force... personally i think it is a bad think we are becoming to dependant on other countries for our energy and products that are manufactured by legal slave labor.... what do you think??
Globalization is going to be disastrous. It truly will be the end of the world as we know it. Some countries and some folks just aren't built for post modern societies.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
You have two types of goods...cheaply made crap, good quality crap. Since people love to have more stuff, they buy more cheaply made crap...which signals manufacturers to supply more cheaply made crap to fill peoples bigger houses. Now that many companies in the US have tried to race to the bottom in terms of quality, it's easy to get stymied by people who can produce the same cheaply made crap even cheaper (labor, laws...w/e). Now the US produces expensive cheaply made crap instead of high quality crap, and it's easy to see why people don't want to buy it...and instead of fixing it by finding new ways to compete people just whine and moan about how people are unpatriotic becuase they don't buy American products.

Of course how do people signal their quality of life improves? If they have more stuff then their parents had.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:02 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The disrespect for national boundaries is dangerous in numerous ways, beyond the loss of certain jobs in the wealthier countries. Globalization forces a global dependence on commodities that are outside of the capability of any single nation to produce. If you need oil, you go where the oil is. If you need fish, you go to the areas where the fish are. A global demand on a resource almost guarantees a glut of that resource, a low price that encourages consumption, and then a scarcity as the massive size of the collective mouth decimates the resource...

The worst aspect of globalization is the simultaneous development of a defacto world government, one that has desires of control that usurp the laws of nations, and enforces a single worldwide status quo. Quite simply, those who do not like a world government have no place to go where it can be avoided. This is unprecedented in human history.

Interestingly enough, the very countries that we view as the worst ones, are the last bastions against this. Russia got burned badly in its foray into capitalism, Cuba has resisted it for years, and other countries such as Ethiopia have seen the tradeoffs that eventually put them into massive debt.

I have hope that globalization is just too big for it to be managed properly, and it will eventually die as all empires do. I doubt that will happen in my lifetime, but the GLOBAL economic crisis could be enough of a wakeup call for countries to re-assert their own rights.
All the more reason for American citizens to know their own constitution intimately, hold onto it for dear life, stick together no matter what common fate we'll share. Our efforts for self preservation need to be invested in self sufficiency and the rest is gravy. I share your concerns but I think the more substantial focus to be made is defining the corporation better.

As things stand they are permitted to pit international economies off one another, enjoying multi citizenship status in some ways and in other ways are beholden to no one as fickle as the wind chasing money around. Nebulous has a very strong observation going on, and even on a micro scale, I've seen the trend of local municipalities vying for the attention of commerce by creating all sorts of incentives for economic development only to watch them pack up and leave the moment free lunch ends (coinciding with that politicians term in office!).

This nomadic trend of corporations has destablized the very civilization that hosts it and that needs to end. I also believe that globalization has the potential to be a more stabilizing force if we allow a non partisan international regulatory committee serving as arbitor for any disputes that may arise. This may serve to protect soveriegnty while at the same time averting political grandstanding that get resolved with muscles instead of diplomatic means. USA being super cop daddy to the world is not sustainable. I think we need to retire that hat permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates