Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I mean, everything we would consider instincts can be overridden.

Suicide defies not wanting to die.
Lot's of people put themselves in pain for entertainment or for fun like those electrocution devices at joke shops, kids cutting themselves, tattoos, etc.
We can starve ourselves, walk on hot coal for kicks, do dangerous things, etc.
We are a very weak species that needs to be taken care of for a long period of time before we can take care of ourselves.

The only "Instincts" we seem to have retained, is that to suckle when we are born, that appears to be the only thing that we don't have to be trained to do in life....

'Course my brother is in the late forties and is still close to the tit....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva_2930 View Post
Instincts have nothing to do with your examples. But yes I believe humans have them as do animals
Yes they do.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Of course humans have instincts. But our intelligence and self-reflection can cause us to act against these insticts. Animals do not have the same level of intelligence and self-refllection as humans, so they act much more in tune with their instincts.

And modern people are more out of touch with their insticts because they are living much more through thier logical awareness in a fast paced world that requires higher intellectual demands.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:20 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Yes they do.

No they dont.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Yes they do.
No, they don't.

Humans have at least a few instincts -- sucking, for one. A brand new infant knows how to do this (unless of course there is something wrong with them).

An infant also knows to try to avoid pain -- it will pull away from an uncomfortable sensation. This is the instinct to protect the body from damage.

There are several instincts that humans possess. Your "I think I can fly" statement however is completely unrelated to instincts. Instincts aren't a matter of wishing something, or mistakenly thinking you can do something, or being able to perform an unreal act just because you say you can.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:09 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
No, they don't.

Humans have at least a few instincts -- sucking, for one. A brand new infant knows how to do this (unless of course there is something wrong with them).

An infant also knows to try to avoid pain -- it will pull away from an uncomfortable sensation. This is the instinct to protect the body from damage.

There are several instincts that humans possess. Your "I think I can fly" statement however is completely unrelated to instincts. Instincts aren't a matter of wishing something, or mistakenly thinking you can do something, or being able to perform an unreal act just because you say you can.
"I think I can fly" was an example of how typing out a sentence does nothing without explaining what the sentence means... in response to some idiot poster.

It had nothing to do with anything. Which was the point.

And weren't the original things I posted DANGER? Are we not supposed to instinctively avoid DANGER? So when we do all those things I mentioned we are not avoiding DANGER.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I don't believe animals operate on instinct, I believe they operate based on reasoning that we simply do not understand as we cannot effectively communicate with them.

My cat doesn't jump from every noise he hears. If I am in the house and clap my hands together as he looks at me, he doesn't jump and run away, he just casually looks at me and then plops his head back down wherever he was. However, if a huge noise occurs outside he often will run. He is using reasoning to differentiate between the non-threatening noise (noise coming from me, his trusted owner), and the potentially threatening noise (noise coming from an unknown source outside).

Everything with a brain operates based on reasoning, some people simply have a very poor ability to reason. When it comes to animals, sometimes they assess a situation the wrong way (a shark sees a surfer dangling his limbs over a board and it reasons, wrongly, "that looks a lot like a seal, this is a meal for me to eat" and it attacks) and trouble results. It's not due to instict, the Great White Shark doesn't simply attack everything it sees, nor does it tend to attack people who are simply standing in three feet of water. It reasons to find its meals, most attacks on people are the result of errors in reasoning.
you seem to be confusing reflexes and instincts. instincts don't necessarily have to dictate every action all of the time. they are also not completely free from override by our reasoning, despite what *some sociologists* say.

to say otherwise is to negate the definition of the word instinct, and to necessitate new labels, definitions, and parameters that amount to roughly the same thing that we have now.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:42 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
you seem to be confusing reflexes and instincts. instincts don't necessarily have to dictate every action all of the time. they are also not completely free from override by our reasoning, despite what *some sociologists* say.

to say otherwise is to negate the definition of the word instinct, and to necessitate new labels, definitions, and parameters that amount to roughly the same thing that we have now.

I've read Socrates/Plato and do not believe that instincts exist. Everything is based on reasoning, with some reasoning being sound and other reasoning being unsound. Instinct is simply a word invented to explain observations that people would otherwise have a difficult time explaining, or that would require them to admit that animals are not just brute creatures without the power to reason.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Every living creature has instincts.
This is right. Humans, however, have philosophy. Something that no other creature(to my knowledge) has.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I think sleeping is instinctive with humans. We can delay it, but we can't avoid it. It doesn't have to be learned; it just happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates