Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:14 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
"I think I can fly" was an example of how typing out a sentence does nothing without explaining what the sentence means... in response to some idiot poster.

It had nothing to do with anything. Which was the point.

And weren't the original things I posted DANGER? Are we not supposed to instinctively avoid DANGER? So when we do all those things I mentioned we are not avoiding DANGER.
Those things are "controlled" danger. Just like when a baby first crawls and learns about ledges. Once baby conquers the fear of falling and realizing that at certain angles, it can be safe and fun, the baby will go down a ledge (stairs for example). Another instinct is mother facial recognition. Another one is species preference. Another one is sex. The list goes on. Another one is the minority effect (focusing on the rare and extreme and believing that these events occur more freq.). Another one is when you stroke newborn's palm with your thumb, they grasp your thumb (this should not occur after a certain amount of time, if not, then this is a cue of mental development issues). Another is crying for attention.

Instincts are simply genetic programs that we use. Not learned and acquired from outside sources.

So in short, we do have instincts...but given out intellect and our ability to create false danger, we can override them or simply fake override them. Suicide for example is a weird one...I would have to do some more research concerning how this one fits in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 07:47 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
I think that this thread is kind of stupid. Because it is obvious that humans do have instincts. I can't believe that some people are argueing that we don't. Don't you all feel your instincts?

Like sex drive, the desire for wealth, sensing danger, gut feelings and so on.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I think that this thread is kind of stupid. Because it is obvious that humans do have instincts. I can't believe that some people are argueing that we don't. Don't you all feel your instincts?

Like sex drive, the desire for wealth, sensing danger, gut feelings and so on.

Sensing danger would be more a form of rapid calculation. You're in an area and like a super-computer you determine in an instant that certain factors are in play to make the area/situation bad/dangerous. Just because it happens in such a fast manner does not mean it is some magical instinct.

As for desire for wealth, a desire for such a thing, a desire for anything, would have to result from a realized belief/thought that such a thing is in your best interests. I know some people who have no such desire due to the fact that wealth is difficult to obtain and relatively difficult to maintain, requiring a great amount of one's time and focus.

As for sex you may have a belief that is in your best interests to have sex, but do you have sex with the first woman you encounter? Do you skip the whole obtaining consent part, do you just jump on the first woman you encounter? Some people might, but that's because they have a very odd way of reasoning things through. Most people reason to some extent, "I think pursuing sex would be in my interests right now, best to find a woman who thinks the same way about that matter, get to know her, find out what she's like, then somewhere down the road get sex from her" or some such thing. It's not (for most people anyway) a simple of matter of thinking "I'm horny" as they leap on some unsuspecting woman.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:02 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,760 times
Some of you all sound like you are just not in touch with your instincts. We are living creatures, we have them. If you stop your mind from racing you will notice them.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I don't think our instincts are as strong as animal's instincts. Maybe what we think are instincts are those behaviors controlled by the hypothalmus. Like when a dog lays down it walks in a circle as if stomping down tall grass. even when there is no tall grass they instinctually do this. When a turtoise is hatched it instinctually knows to walk toward the water no mater how far or what direction it is in. Human instincts are not that strong and can be changed. For instance self sacrifice is a common instinct parents have when protecting their children, but some parents abuse and beat their children to death.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't think our instincts are as strong as animal's instincts. Maybe what we think are instincts are those behaviors controlled by the hypothalmus. Like when a dog lays down it walks in a circle as if stomping down tall grass. even when there is no tall grass they instinctually do this. When a turtoise is hatched it instinctually knows to walk toward the water no mater how far or what direction it is in. Human instincts are not that strong and can be changed. For instance self sacrifice is a common instinct parents have when protecting their children, but some parents abuse and beat their children to death.

Thats not exactly true. The tortise knows to go towards water but has to sense it. We fool them in my yard all the time. Theres a stream entering a pond & they head not for the closest water but the far cprner where they hear it. Turn on the hose so its louder & they will walk away from the pond.

We have dumbed down many instincts but they are there. Nobody can say if other animals would do the same if they were able to reason.
Even sex, many animals have elaborate courtship rituals, ares are not very different.
Do you think about breathing? Swimming to the surface? Running from danger? Instincts are alive & well in the human animal.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:45 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Just because we go against our instincts doesn't mean we don't have them. Theres a reason everyone in the world doesn't commit suicide. Sometimes outside pressures or influences affect our actions, as well as hormone imbalances.
None of that defies human instinct. Suicide is very often about getting support from others, and we're a social species. Even chimps are known to make suicidal or "just kill me now" gestures to get assistance when they're upset.

As far as stoopid risk-taking goes, that is part of the overwhelming human drive to get status from the other Naked Apes. We get status from each other by getting attention. If you're so stoopid in the process as to get yourself killed, well, it proves Darwin was right.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:12 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
If your heart is currently beating, that's an instinctual electrical response.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Thats not exactly true. The tortise knows to go towards water but has to sense it. We fool them in my yard all the time. Theres a stream entering a pond & they head not for the closest water but the far cprner where they hear it. Turn on the hose so its louder & they will walk away from the pond.

We have dumbed down many instincts but they are there. Nobody can say if other animals would do the same if they were able to reason.
Even sex, many animals have elaborate courtship rituals, ares are not very different.
Do you think about breathing? Swimming to the surface? Running from danger? Instincts are alive & well in the human animal.
You are correct, but you didn't trick the turtle , try to make him go near a log instead of water. his instinct is a genetic code so vital that if it can be tricked, he will die. Like salmond swimming up stream to spawn, or birds migrating, bears hibernating. I believe sociologist and Pyschologist are in debate about the limits of the word "instinct " when applied to humans

Old 03-19-2009, 05:32 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
According to Sociologists, no, humans do not have instincts. Only animals have instincts. (Sociology major)
I'm a male so I have the instinct to be attracted to females...
I have two legs so I have the instinct to walk and run...
I have a body comprised for its 70% (or whatever) of water so I have the instinct to drink...
and I could go on...
The way we are made our instinct or say our natural inclination , you can underestimate it but it's there.

Last edited by Italian (x)lurker; 03-19-2009 at 05:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates