Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:52 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times

Advertisements

Well, the point of a debate is to get as much information out there as we can, and let those on the sidelines determine the validity of the participants position. That said however, we all know the advent of web based discussions lack the real form of good debating. In good debates, both parties come well equipped with a load of info and very little opinion. Here we see an almost opposite situation, lot's of opinion, but very little in the way of information, I'd like to hear more from those who have a well thought out point of view, it's just naturally easier to disect the statement if it consists of more than a punchy one or two liner. I think most folk's would readilly admit to having their thoughts influenced at some point in their lives, if they don't realize the need to always keep an open mind about things, it seems that they become hardened to any new ideas or views, "don't confuse me with the facts" kind of thing. Yes, in my case my thoughts have been challenged to that point of being able to accept the others views or be able to adequately defend my own, consequentially I have had my mind changed by the argument from some persons holding opposite views. A case in point is the contention that we are all "for or against" some things. A lot of people can't get it in their mind that there is such a thing as not having enough knowledge of a certain subject to either approve or disapprove of the action of others. It is when we are personally hurt by others that pain becomes a real point of reference for us, every other situation calls for some thought as to the validity of our collective consensus. This is the difference between propaganda and information, information in it's purest form is simply that, information, it seeks no supporters, that's not to say that we can't get behind some of that info, but it certainly commands us to, at the very least, think, and it's through that process that we gain a better understanding of each other, despite not always being in agreement. It has become my fondest hope that we can go into the future and begin to read more, talk more, and most importantly, listen more, I have been reading everything I can to get a better understanding of our world and our place in it, I read things from the left to the right, of the socio-political scene and the understanding usally occurs somewhere in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
In all the debates you've engaged in throughout your life....has anybody ever profoundly changed your mind on a subject?

Common debates are: Abortion, Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Religion, Politics, War, Animal Rights, Death Penalty, etc. As a result of a debate, was your view/perspective/stance significantly altered in any of these areas?

I have to honestly say, no. Nobody has ever really been able to change my mind as a result of a debate. So this leads me to wonder if debate actually accomplishes anything other than giving us an arena to express our opinions?

What say you?
My opinion about "gun rights" has changed, not so much from a debate, as from a conversation with a friend who was also, formerly, agaist citizen gun ownership, and who read a book detailing the effect that a gun ban had on a particular society. It was because this person is a respected friend, one who does not let "hot button" issues sway his opinion, and also the fact that he was not trying to change anyone's mind, just relating his own understandings about this issue, that caused me to open my mind to what had formerly been an "opposing" position.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 11,942 times
Default Change of Mind

I have had a change of mind/thought. I asked the Universe/Mother/Father GOD/GODDESS to share its self with me in the revelation of truth. And the the journey began and a more self assured, positive woman/Energy emerged. Being able a face the challenges/begat new ideas/walk with a stronger 'know where I'm headed kind of gait" is what I was beqeathed. A ready smile and an open mind to other ideas and the ideas of others is another gift. A real understanding of what the word Love really means. Yes, I've had a change of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
In all the debates you've engaged in throughout your life....has anybody ever profoundly changed your mind on a subject?

Common debates are: Abortion, Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Religion, Politics, War, Animal Rights, Death Penalty, etc. As a result of a debate, was your view/perspective/stance significantly altered in any of these areas?

I have to honestly say, no. Nobody has ever really been able to change my mind as a result of a debate. So this leads me to wonder if debate actually accomplishes anything other than giving us an arena to express our opinions?

What say you?

Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times
If you've never changed your mind because of a debate, then you have either never been to a good debate, or, you have a closed mind. In either case it would lend to the fact that you are not listening to what is being said, for no one can have a rock solid opinion about everything and claim to have never had their mind changed, then ask such a question as you have posed.
You can't have an educated debate if you don't have an open mind.
Its an interesting point when someone states in their opening sentence, "I have to honestly say" as if there is another way to put it that we would care to hear, so either you brought the thread up because you have doubts about your own opinions on some of the "creeds" that you have held near and dear for your life, or your'e just a protagonist for heated discussion/drama.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
My wife and she didn't say may I either.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 PM

197 posts, read 378,670 times
i think this is a perfect example, people are way to closed minded. No one listens to reason, no one will ever be understand of some one elses situation. Yes, there are core beliefs, principles, that probably won't change in some ones mind (abortion, etc). In this world, that changes and moves so quickly, it seems to illogical to be set your ways in stone. There is constantly new idea and views being brought into light, and if people don't try to understand them, we will all fail.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:37 PM

666 posts, read 1,843,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
My views on some issues have done a complete three sixty from just a short while ago.
Must have been from a really good debater to convince you to change your mind to a view you already had.

I find that most online debates get too heated and people focus more on either being defensive or resort to getting nasty because they can easily hide behind their computers.

I prefer in-person discussions on the big issues. People seem more respectful that way.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
other people influence me enormously.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:12 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times
Debates have played a role in changing my mind over a period of time. But, not in an afternoon. It takes a bit longer than that. If a debate picques my interest, then I might do more research to find more opinions, both pro and con. THEN one day it strikes me: I have a new opinion based on all the data I've accumulated. For example, with Obama, I had to do a lot of research because there was so much negative commentary. I didn't know what was true and what was not. It was a bit scarey. Eventually, I did find my truth about Obama. It was a gut feeling, and I knew I could trust my gut. Coming from a long line of Texas democrats, I cast my vote for him.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
If you've never changed your mind because of a debate, then you have either never been to a good debate, or, you have a closed mind. In either case it would lend to the fact that you are not listening to what is being said, for no one can have a rock solid opinion about everything and claim to have never had their mind changed, then ask such a question as you have posed.
You can't have an educated debate if you don't have an open mind.
Its an interesting point when someone states in their opening sentence, "I have to honestly say" as if there is another way to put it that we would care to hear, so either you brought the thread up because you have doubts about your own opinions on some of the "creeds" that you have held near and dear for your life, or your'e just a protagonist for heated discussion/drama.
And if you've had your mind changed, you're just too wishy-washy. The interesting thing about formal debates is to take a position that you don't personally agree with, and successfully argue that position. Doesn't mean you've changed your own mind about it, just means that you can successfully read others, and detach your feelings from the application of logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates