Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:13 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I can't recall having done a 180 on any viewpoint. However, I've softened my resistance to opposing or simply different viewpoints. I've become more willing and more open minded to learn more about the other side of ths story.
This pretty much describes my experiences on CD as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:19 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
My opinion about "gun rights" has changed, not so much from a debate, as from a conversation with a friend who was also, formerly, agaist citizen gun ownership, and who read a book detailing the effect that a gun ban had on a particular society. It was because this person is a respected friend, one who does not let "hot button" issues sway his opinion, and also the fact that he was not trying to change anyone's mind, just relating his own understandings about this issue, that caused me to open my mind to what had formerly been an "opposing" position.
I used to be a Democrat and was very naive about the issues. I frankly did not care about politics and was ignorant. All I knew from the skewed media was that "republicans were for the rich", yada yada yada. It wasn't until a well respected friend tell me he was republican that prompted me to do some research and I then found that I identified more with the republican's stance on the issues versus the democrats.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,193 times
Nobody has ever changed my mind through debate, yet...

I'd like to consider myself a very intellectually honest person. I seek out the 'truth' in matters, and try not to show bias towards any end. Most of my views on various issues, I have arrived upon through fairly intensive questioning/research. However, these views are not set in stone. If one can convince me using logic why 'this way' is better 'that way', I have no problem reneging on my prior belief and admitting so.

One problem I seem to notice that runs rampant through City-Data is that very few users actually discuss the issues. A lot of arguments are based merely on 'feelings', 'emotions', 'image', and things of a superficial nature. Not to mention all of the logically fallacious arguments you see here. It's a bit discontenting, to say the least. I wish there was a minimum IQ requirement on these boards, to keep out the riff-raff.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
No, my mind has never been changed in a debate. If anything, I learn more about how to argue the other side, which I do all the time.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:43 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
In all the debates you've engaged in throughout your life....has anybody ever profoundly changed your mind on a subject?

Common debates are: Abortion, Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Religion, Politics, War, Animal Rights, Death Penalty, etc. As a result of a debate, was your view/perspective/stance significantly altered in any of these areas?

I have to honestly say, no. Nobody has ever really been able to change my mind as a result of a debate. So this leads me to wonder if debate actually accomplishes anything other than giving us an arena to express our opinions?

What say you?
Yes.
Since I've been on the internet- a few years now- I have altered my opinion on a number of social issues.
This usually happens after someone points out a perspective or a facet of the argument that I'd never considered before.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Nobody has ever changed my mind through debate, yet...

I'd like to consider myself a very intellectually honest person. I seek out the 'truth' in matters, and try not to show bias towards any end. Most of my views on various issues, I have arrived upon through fairly intensive questioning/research. However, these views are not set in stone. If one can convince me using logic why 'this way' is better 'that way', I have no problem reneging on my prior belief and admitting so.

One problem I seem to notice that runs rampant through City-Data is that very few users actually discuss the issues. A lot of arguments are based merely on 'feelings', 'emotions', 'image', and things of a superficial nature. Not to mention all of the logically fallacious arguments you see here. It's a bit discontenting, to say the least. I wish there was a minimum IQ requirement on these boards, to keep out the riff-raff.

High IQ is no guarantee that a person will approach an issue only with logic and reason.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:11 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
In all the debates you've engaged in throughout your life....has anybody ever profoundly changed your mind on a subject?
Yes. Before having a debate with my brother I used to think mankind was basically good. Now, after the debate, I am with with my brother on this one. The only hope for mankind is a meteor and a brand new start.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Yes. Before having a debate with my brother I used to think mankind was basically good. Now, after the debate, I am with with my brother on this one. The only hope for mankind is a meteor and a brand new start.

Yeah, but aren't you a teenager?
Nihilism is a natural state at fifteen.
It's not very difficult to convince a teen to adopt a nihilistic worldview.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 AM

416 posts, read 407,729 times
The last guy who changed my mind (intimidated me) is still in the hospital.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Yeah, but aren't you a teenager?
Nihilism is a natural state at fifteen.
It's not very difficult to convince a teen to adopt a nihilistic worldview.
Not hardly... more than three times that old. And my brother is younger and a Moderator on this very site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates