Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Before I answer, I need someone to interpret the question, which could mean either of the following:

1. Is there anybody here who has ever changed his mind?

2. Has your mind ever been changed by anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
In all the debates you've engaged in throughout your life....has anybody ever profoundly changed your mind on a subject?

Common debates are: Abortion, Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Religion, Politics, War, Animal Rights, Death Penalty, etc. As a result of a debate, was your view/perspective/stance significantly altered in any of these areas?

I have to honestly say, no. Nobody has ever really been able to change my mind as a result of a debate. So this leads me to wonder if debate actually accomplishes anything other than giving us an arena to express our opinions?

What say you?
Yes. God changed my mind and heart from wanting to play the charade game of being 'an atheist' for 10 years....to one of following and living for Him . No one will ever be sorry they did that.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I have had my mind changed by the presentation of additional facts in a comprehensible manner.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:22 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Yes. I had an epiphany during a debate about, of all things, a TV show, when I realized through discussion that the character's motivation wasn't as altruistic as it seemed on the surface. I realized that if, in real life, I applied "follow the money" to most political news stories that everything made more sense if I dug deeper and looked at what politicians and business people had to gain (money/power) by their actions/positions on issues. I realized the media rarely connected those dots for me when I was younger and now, I don't trust them, either.

Example: Why is the Catholic Church pro-illegal immigration? They'd have you believe it's a humanitarian thing but if most illegal Mexican immigrants were not Catholic, would they be as steadfast in their position? I don't think so. I don't think they were harboring Jews during WWII in large numbers when it was a matter of life and death and not just deportation. I see the Catholic powers that be salivating over the illegal immigration population to fill up US Catholic Churches again and maybe providing a bigger population of potential priests/nuns.

Example: Why do Al Sharpton and Jessee Jackson perpetuate the black man as a victim? Why no public talk from them of successful black business people? Answer: It's not good for business to talk up success stories. Their business and power is derived from people needing them. Telling people they're victims creates a need for Sharpton and Jackson to exist, make money and have power. If people thought they could rise up on their own, they wouldn't need the victimologymeisters.

Example: Is Al Gore a global warming believer or a man who found his post political niche scoring big, financially, on the business (and it's a big business) of climate change? He's made a bundle off it already. Gore's net worth in 2000 was about $2 million. It's now $100 million.

Example: Why do the Republican solutions to illegal immigration sound so much like the Democrat solutions? Answer: The Democrats are looking to score Hispanic votes. The Republicans are looking to appease big business with cheap labor. Their motivations may be different but they're looking for the same end result so they can benefit.

Example: If women are a majority numbers-wise, why do they act like minority victims? Answer: Women's "rights" is big business. There's money and power in the victim's business.

I could go on but the point is debate is what made me look behind heroic/altruistic actions at the real bottom line: money and power.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I could go on but the point is debate is what made me look behind heroic/altruistic actions at the real bottom line: money and power.
I wouldn't say my same understanding came as an epiphany but rather over a life time of just living. Human behavior is not rocket science. My beloved late father-in-law once told me people first seek wealth, then power, respectively. He was absolutely right. And in debates, I've also learned that the words "but" and "however" used in a sentence or a statement always separates a disarming left jab from the disabling right hook that follows.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 PM
ako

140 posts, read 337,631 times
Yeah, all the time.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
I posted to this thread when it was newly-released. Since then, I still have to say that I haven't changed my mind on anything yet, although I pondered a few good points made. I guess I'm pretty hard to convince.

However, I don't linger in threads. I sometimes post a 2nd response, and possibly a 3rd (rare), and then I'm done and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates