Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,996,563 times

Advertisements

In all the debates you've engaged in throughout your life....has anybody ever profoundly changed your mind on a subject?

Common debates are: Abortion, Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Religion, Politics, War, Animal Rights, Death Penalty, etc. As a result of a debate, was your view/perspective/stance significantly altered in any of these areas?

I have to honestly say, no. Nobody has ever really been able to change my mind as a result of a debate. So this leads me to wonder if debate actually accomplishes anything other than giving us an arena to express our opinions?

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,896,006 times
Actually, yes I have had a debate show me the other side of a view I held. One that I WAS in the wrong with the idea I had. So yes, a debate has changed my mind on one of the "Big" issues. I think if it truly is a debate and not just an argument, they can be a vehicle for changing someones perceptions and ideals. A heated argument, or even a mild argument for that matter, doesn't accomplish anything except to make the gap between the "sides" further apart.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:04 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,318,276 times
On the City-Data forum there was one thread where someone's comment made me take it into consideration, and I thought I changed my mind. Even admitted it on a reply (did it because it's such a rare thing). However, after thinking on it further, I decided, "Nah".

So, no, it hasn't happened. I think most of us form our views and opinions in ways other than sharing and arguing. In fact, I think debates quite often do the opposite.

My best debates were on the Religion & Philosophy topics. That one contends with science/physics vs. religion/creationism, and my own input included intuition more than anything else. Held my own pretty well, and so did the rest. But I don't think anybody "changed" their minds. After awhile I found all of it a waste of energy, even boring.

I've said for many years that we can't change each others' minds. And on City-Data, I won't "argue". I may reply to someone replying to me only once and that's it.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 PM

659 posts, read 1,086,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
In all the debates you've engaged in throughout your life....has anybody ever profoundly changed your mind on a subject?

Common debates are: Abortion, Illegal Immigration, Gay Marriage, Religion, Politics, War, Animal Rights, Death Penalty, etc. As a result of a debate, was your view/perspective/stance significantly altered in any of these areas?

I have to honestly say, no. Nobody has ever really been able to change my mind as a result of a debate. So this leads me to wonder if debate actually accomplishes anything other than giving us an arena to express our opinions?

What say you?
Acutally yes.

My views on some issues have done a complete three sixty from just a short while ago. I've always believed in big freedom, little government, but it was only that way when it came to things that *I* personally wanted. Coming from a fairly 'conservative' christian home, I was taught that anything that went against the bible was wrong and that it should be outlawed. I actually didn't want to debate certain issues (I've always been immersed in social issues and what not) because I was afraid that if someone had a stronger argument with more points to back it up it would bring into question the faith I had held on so strongly to.

Some of the things I support I don't necessarily agree with on a moral or religious basis (not that I can even be considered religious anymore). I don't agree with one prostituting themselves, or one using drugs or other so called vices, but because of the benefits that outweigh the negatives of have these things legalized I fully support it. I am willing to push aside my own personal bias to recognize when the opposing side has a point.

I like debating with other people because it challenges my own views and 'how it should be done' opinions and helps me better refine my points. I have learned alot in debate and I can't say that I'm not happy about it.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:32 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,068,624 times
Sometimes, I like having new view points or ways to think of things...or the other way is to use a hammer...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
I was a flaming liberal years ago. But then as I got out in society :I quickly learned that there are people who make things work in this world and liberals who talk about it. Liberals always wandering about why they are not the top ten per cent but it comes down to plain old not willing to work for it.Just like the present;they want those that take the risk and work hard to pay their way. If this nation ever gets to where 30% create the wealth and the other 70% get their share then being american has gone down the tubes. it will be like when I was young anf in a uion. the guys that did little ;had seniority got the most because they had influence but produced little.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM

114 posts, read 180,667 times
If people make a valid point, I do more research on it, and then I make a decision; so yea, by having a debate, I've learned new thing, and did change some beliefs....Interesting question though; i always wondered if anybody on this site changed their mind because of the topics discussed/debated here...

Old 03-21-2009, 12:03 AM

706 posts, read 3,766,237 times
I don't recall actually changing my mind...

but I'd say "yes" to having assisted me in opening my mind a little more and considering more factors

which I think is valuble even if I don't change my mind...

today.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,247,244 times
Not that I can recall.

But a few people ended up very surprised, because they ended up agreeing with me.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:13 PM

640 posts, read 1,733,527 times
Yes I used to be for abortion, now I am against it. I also used to be quite liberal, but between reading alot of debates and my own personal experiences, Ive become more conservative though I still do not like the current Republican party. On a few other social issues, I'm still quite libertarian though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates