Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 04:44 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,744,021 times

Advertisements

It might seem like an oxymoron, but most white people are good people and racist. Of course, there are many different usages of the definition of racism. However, many of those usages are synonymous with other terms, such as “prejudice” or “bigotry”. Hence, what makes the term racism distinct with a difference is the ideal that one or more races are naturally superior to one or more other races. That’s what racism is and it does not always or mostly go hand in hand with bigotry and hate.

An intelligent question would be this. Why are whites racist? The answer is that white are racist because they have been victimized by the same phenomenon that has victimized blacks, which is the past. Most whites 30 and over had racist parents and their parents had racist parents on down the line. Its learned behavior passed on from generation to generation and rationalized by each new generation by resultant the resultant impact upon black people. In other words, is a self reinforcing belief. People think the worst of black people and treat them accordingly it in turn brings out the worst statistics in black people which whites then use to rationalize their racism. Thus, whites are victims of this cycle and don’t realize it. There is no genetic defect that makes whites racist, they are just the victims of social conditioning too.

People seem to always link racism with anger and hate. This is also one of the reasons that most whites don’t see themselves as racist. They feel no anger and hate towards blacks or others, so they get angry when they are called or implied to be racist. This also explains why they disrespect black claims of racism, because they know that they and most of the people they know are not angry and hate filled at blacks. However, again, racism is a rationalization of racial supremacy. That is what makes the term distinct and different from other terms. Such rationalizations have no natural link to anger and hate. If that were the case then adults would hate children because adults believe that children are inferior to adults. People also love and treat their pets well, even though they see an animal as inferior to humans. Thus, there is no chemical correlation in the mind between feeling superior and hating.

Some people have good hearts and some people have bad hearts and some are somewhere in between. Most people, however, have good hearts. They care for other people; they will help out if you need it, etc. That’s true of racist as well. You see, that is because racism is simply ignorance and has nothing to do with ones heart. It’s the racist with the bad hearts that most people visualize as the “template” for what a racist is. However, a person like that is the minority. These people feel “threatened” by non-whites and feel that their “purity”, “culture”, “way of life”, “opportunity”, etc, are in danger because of non-whites. They become angry because they feel they have lost control of “their world” and its being brought down from greatness because of “those people”. When racist struggle economically it often metastasizes into bigotry, anger and hatred. This is why poor whites are usually were you find most angry hate filled racist. With the nation’s economic well being on a downward future slope, expect an increase anger and hate.

Racist who are good people or should I say have good hearts, are not completely benign. Often times they become enablers. There are many liberal racist and they treat blacks like they are “children” enabling bad behavior and habits because they feel “responsible”. They are content with giving blacks a fish every day as opposed to teaching blacks how to fish, because they don’t really think blacks will ever be good fishers overall. Due to history they feel a sense of responsibility to giving us fish. So on one end of the spectrum you have good hearted racist enablers and on the other end you have bad hearted racist oppressors and together this represents the majority of white folks who are somewhere between those two extreme forms of racism, which obviously negatively impacts blacks. Based upon this majority, is it a wonder that America can never create the proper policies when it comes to race?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:07 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,709,809 times
Ill admit im slightly racist although I try not to be. I just cant help it because i grew up in a household that was racist. Now when i say racists i dont mean i HATE other races. My family just happens to not like associating with them. Me personally, I have plenty of black and hispanic and asian friends but I can see how im slightly racist without meaning to be.

As you said my parents are racist, especially my mom who learned it from my grandparents. As a child my mom would call black people spooks and asian people chinks and so forth. My father would never eat at places like subway because he said there were too many indians working there and he did not "trust" them, whatever that may have meant I dont know.

If i would bring home a non white friend from school my parents would hide their valuables. My parents would never allow my sister or I to date anyone that wasnt white. I guess I am the way I am because of the way i was brought up and not because of circumstances in which I was treated by other races. I struggle with this every day and try to make sure my kids dont grow up the way I was taught.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,872,493 times
IS often, no, always confuses racism with awareness. If you have been broken into by, had cars stolen by, and been assaulted by minorities, you have a learned distrust. And rightfully so, but that makes us racist, because he's black, and he says so, and he can get away with REPEATEDLY starting racist threads like this.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,235,234 times
I am white, and I can't remember the last time I gave a second though to race, other than when someone brings it up.

From my experience, many black people are extremely racist. An example of what I mean - I was waiting in line a few months ago and a lady cut in front of me (I had been waiting for nearly 40 minutes to buy a ticket). I told her to go to the end of the line and she started yelling at me, calling me racist since she was black. I wouldn't care if she was black, yellow, green, whatever. I just wanted my ticket and didn't want someone to be rude enough to cut in line.

I don't know why race would even enter her mind in that sort of situation (it certainly didn't enter mine), but that sort of racism amongst certain people who are black is more prevalent than people want to admit.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,157,398 times
Politically conservative whites aside, the most racist people towards blacks are hispanics and asians in my experience.

By now most whites (even conservatives) have been guilted into a great awareness of the subject, but hispanics won't lose a minute of sleep hating on blacks.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,024,512 times
I am white, and I do not consider myself racist. I don't care what color, race, or religion that you are. I treat people how I want to and expect to be treated. Plain and simple. If you treat me like crap, expect it in return. I don't feel superior to anyone just because of my skin color. We in America (all races) need to move past this whole racism thing and realize that we are all Americans! Remember, racism works both ways. Blacks can be equally racist toward whites too. It's sad that in 2010 we're still dealing with this in our country.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:58 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,288,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
It might seem like an oxymoron, but most white people are good people and racist. Of course, there are many different usages of the definition of racism. However, many of those usages are synonymous with other terms, such as “prejudice” or “bigotry”. Hence, what makes the term racism distinct with a difference is the ideal that one or more races are naturally superior to one or more other races. That’s what racism is and it does not always or mostly go hand in hand with bigotry and hate.

An intelligent question would be this. Why are whites racist? The answer is that white are racist because they have been victimized by the same phenomenon that has victimized blacks, which is the past. Most whites 30 and over had racist parents and their parents had racist parents on down the line. Its learned behavior passed on from generation to generation and rationalized by each new generation by resultant the resultant impact upon black people. In other words, is a self reinforcing belief. People think the worst of black people and treat them accordingly it in turn brings out the worst statistics in black people which whites then use to rationalize their racism. Thus, whites are victims of this cycle and don’t realize it. There is no genetic defect that makes whites racist, they are just the victims of social conditioning too.

People seem to always link racism with anger and hate. This is also one of the reasons that most whites don’t see themselves as racist. They feel no anger and hate towards blacks or others, so they get angry when they are called or implied to be racist. This also explains why they disrespect black claims of racism, because they know that they and most of the people they know are not angry and hate filled at blacks. However, again, racism is a rationalization of racial supremacy. That is what makes the term distinct and different from other terms. Such rationalizations have no natural link to anger and hate. If that were the case then adults would hate children because adults believe that children are inferior to adults. People also love and treat their pets well, even though they see an animal as inferior to humans. Thus, there is no chemical correlation in the mind between feeling superior and hating.

Some people have good hearts and some people have bad hearts and some are somewhere in between. Most people, however, have good hearts. They care for other people; they will help out if you need it, etc. That’s true of racist as well. You see, that is because racism is simply ignorance and has nothing to do with ones heart. It’s the racist with the bad hearts that most people visualize as the “template” for what a racist is. However, a person like that is the minority. These people feel “threatened” by non-whites and feel that their “purity”, “culture”, “way of life”, “opportunity”, etc, are in danger because of non-whites. They become angry because they feel they have lost control of “their world” and its being brought down from greatness because of “those people”. When racist struggle economically it often metastasizes into bigotry, anger and hatred. This is why poor whites are usually were you find most angry hate filled racist. With the nation’s economic well being on a downward future slope, expect an increase anger and hate.

Racist who are good people or should I say have good hearts, are not completely benign. Often times they become enablers. There are many liberal racist and they treat blacks like they are “children” enabling bad behavior and habits because they feel “responsible”. They are content with giving blacks a fish every day as opposed to teaching blacks how to fish, because they don’t really think blacks will ever be good fishers overall. Due to history they feel a sense of responsibility to giving us fish. So on one end of the spectrum you have good hearted racist enablers and on the other end you have bad hearted racist oppressors and together this represents the majority of white folks who are somewhere between those two extreme forms of racism, which obviously negatively impacts blacks. Based upon this majority, is it a wonder that America can never create the proper policies when it comes to race?
I think you watched to much Archie Bunker!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:00 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,275,035 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.