Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I hate to tell you this, Sunshine, but you can still qualify for public assistance in either Death Valley or Alaska.

I'm sure you can but I think you get my point.

Drop em all off on a deserted isle and let them fend for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 02:24 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
I've reported welfare fraud on numerous ocassions, on the phone and by email and nothing has been done.
Thats the problem. The State does little to prevent or prosecute fraud. I worked in gov. hand out programs before. As a project manager I tried to get the state to do something about applicatnts I KNEW were lying and defrauding the system. I was basically told to keep my mouth shut and give them assistance. That was years ago. Things may have changed. I never want to work in social services again.

Quote:
I also want welfare recipients drug tested.
I cant agree with that. I dont believe in government drug testing ( What is it they say about glass houses). Whats the difference in some of these people getting assistance and disability that are prescribed xanex, and hydrocodone and several other prescription drugs and someone that might hit a joint once in awhile.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,296,276 times
Stop worrying about welfare and worry about other government/corporate waste instead.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,024,768 times
I agree.

"Welfare reform" is one of the many excuses used to distract people from what the government is really doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Stop worrying about welfare and worry about other government/corporate waste instead.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats the problem. The State does little to prevent or prosecute fraud. I worked in gov. hand out programs before. As a project manager I tried to get the state to do something about applicatnts I KNEW were lying and defrauding the system. I was basically told to keep my mouth shut and give them assistance. That was years ago. Things may have changed. I never want to work in social services again.

I cant agree with that. I dont believe in government drug testing ( What is it they say about glass houses). Whats the difference in some of these people getting assistance and disability that are prescribed xanex, and hydrocodone and several other prescription drugs and someone that might hit a joint once in awhile.
I don't agree with it either. Besides, drug testing potentially millions of people will cost the US taxpayer a fortune, just for the sake of weeding out a minority of people who may be abusing drugs/the system.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
I agree.

"Welfare reform" is one of the many excuses used to distract people from what the government is really doing.
It's because poor are an easy scapegoat to blame. People always need some sort of scapegoat and such scapegoats are usually the poor, or other ethnic groups.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
It's because poor are an easy scapegoat to blame. People always need some sort of scapegoat and such scapegoats are usually the poor, or other ethnic groups.
it's all porkulous!!!! i want some meat.. soon we will be up to our arm pits with anchor babys give them all to the church.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 PM

427 posts, read 1,388,239 times
Just thought that I would add that The Good Samaritan Food Donation Act which was signed into law by Bill Clinton makes it easier for restaurants to donate left-over food to the needy. There are alredy Thousands of restaurants in the U.S. that participate.

I do think that there should be stricter laws against people who get disability and do not need it. For example my cousin, 3 kids 3 dads, has fake "fibromyalgia" so she can't work, and collects disability.(note i do believe that there are people who do have this condition,just not her). And has mooched off of family, including my mother for the last 20 years.

While my mother, who was hit by a drunk driver in a tractor-trailer, 20 years ago, and has already had 2 back surgeries and needs more, who is not supposed to be working by DR.s orders, has been working full time since she was 16, is holding off on taking disability. She can't even move some days, and is in constant pain.

As for removing all children from poor parents, it's not practical. There are not enough foster care homes. Not to mention foster care is more expensive thant if they would just teach these parents on how to parent, and provide cheap day-care. You have to remember a child in foster care is expensive. Removing a child should only happen when the child is either in a dangerous situation, or the parents refuse to get it together with some help.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think women should be paid to raise babies and not necessarily live with the father. The man should pay for his kids but there are some men that should never be around women and children for any longer than the mating. Some are too darned dangerous physically and psychologically.
If there are some men who should not be kept around after mating, maybe no woman should mate with these kind of men in the first place. What a concept!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:18 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the base problem is too few of us own enough of the machinery that is doing the work so we do not get a portion of the wealth created by the machines. This concentrates the wealth created into the ownership class. This is exacerbated by the Ronnie Raygun upper bracket tax cuts. These things have created the real welfare class in our country.
I'm getting tired of Reagan and the Republicans being blamed for everything. How about the dramatic increase in out of wedlock births that has occurred since the 1960s????

Having unmarried parents can be devastating for children who start out with no cushion in life. In 1999 congressional testimony, Isabel Sawhill of the Brookings Institution said that the increase in single-parent families—mostly due to unwed motherhood in the past few decades—"can account for virtually all of the increase in child poverty since 1970." A recent study found that the stress of early childhood poverty can literally damage developing brains.

The liberal think-tank the Brookings Institution is finally admitting the obvious. When will the rest of us?

Here is the entire link for those who are interested:

Forget Juno. Out-of-wedlock births are a national catastrophe. - By Emily Yoffe - Slate Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates