Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM

727 posts, read 1,891,342 times

Advertisements

I totally support our president but I'm soooo angry that he'd rather increase food stamps than take away the crutch and start training/school iniatitives with that extra $50 or so he increased in foodstamps. He's only been in office close to 100 days but still!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:01 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
Welfare will always be necessary in America, theres no denying that. Making drug testing mandatory to receive welfare would cut down on a lot of dealers going on welfare, as well as people getting comfortable with that set amount of money a week and just living in those means rather than trying to progress. I really don't think women are having babies for the sole purpose of a few extra dollars of welfare, so cutting those benefits isn't going to change anything. But we should assign social workers to every welfare case to make sure that they aren't just being irresponsible with the help we give them and rather are trying to make a live for themselves.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
The Constitution of the United States of America (Preamble)

“We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

It seems to me the US government has an obligation to assist US citizens in times of trouble.

That said, I do not personally feel the idea was to give people a free ride for willful or deceitful acts. If I eat myself into obesity and get diabetes as a result, that’s my tough luck and I have no reason to expect a free ride. On the other hand, if cancer strikes me then I would hope to get a fair amount of assistance from the government- maybe not enough to live a life of ease, but enough to stay off the streets.

Now, that said, I also feel people have an obligation to look towards their personal assets and to their family for help first and for there to be a sort of means system to determine who gets what. I know people who make in excess of $100,000 per year but because they work only during ½ the year they also collect full unemployment and other assistance they have no need for. Same with social security and medicare.

All for a handout, but not a way of life from the government.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Welfare will always be necessary in America, theres no denying that. Making drug testing mandatory to receive welfare would cut down on a lot of dealers going on welfare, as well as people getting comfortable with that set amount of money a week and just living in those means rather than trying to progress. I really don't think women are having babies for the sole purpose of a few extra dollars of welfare, so cutting those benefits isn't going to change anything. But we should assign social workers to every welfare case to make sure that they aren't just being irresponsible with the help we give them and rather are trying to make a live for themselves.
These few bad seeds are actually drug users and not dealers. A dealer remains as under the radar as possible.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
The Constitution of the United States of America (Preamble)

“We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

It seems to me the US government has an obligation to assist US citizens in times of trouble.

That said, I do not personally feel the idea was to give people a free ride for willful or deceitful acts. If I eat myself into obesity and get diabetes as a result, that’s my tough luck and I have no reason to expect a free ride. On the other hand, if cancer strikes me then I would hope to get a fair amount of assistance from the government- maybe not enough to live a life of ease, but enough to stay off the streets.

Now, that said, I also feel people have an obligation to look towards their personal assets and to their family for help first and for there to be a sort of means system to determine who gets what. I know people who make in excess of $100,000 per year but because they work only during ½ the year they also collect full unemployment and other assistance they have no need for. Same with social security and medicare.

All for a handout, but not a way of life from the government.
You have to understand that THERE ARE people who truly need welfare but my thing is there needs to be more training and schooling. Preparing these people for a welfare-free life.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Welfare under the Constitution is necessary under certain conditions.

Needs created under acts of God are understood.

Medical needs are also understood in some cases...tragedy does happen.

The US is NOT obligated to offer FREE welfare to all persons from all countries that cross our borders ILLEGALLY for the welfare handout. We should draw the line.

In the Grocery store last week was a young hispanic (early 20's) girl with a baby and a small child 3-4 yrs old getting some free groceries via voucher. I understand some Spanish so heard the conversation between the girl and the cashier. Have seen this happening a few times in the same mkt in the past.

Do not deny food for any child...but there has to be a male involved to make these children. Thats where the problem lies (somewhat). Chance are from what I gathered the children were "Anchor" babies and entitled by the 14th Amendment.

Did I miss something here? Steve

Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
You have to understand that THERE ARE people who truly need welfare but my thing is there needs to be more training and schooling. Preparing these people for a welfare-free life.

I'm not opposed to that. However, the government cannot afford to retrain and educate the tens of millions who demand welfare. Also, I'm opposed to the government paying for a high school dropout to attend college. What we need is a better defined policy and a way to prioritize the needs of our citizens.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I generally don't like it, but I am for social assistance to a certain degree. I am all for helping people who need a hand up (temporary unemployment, retraining) to get back into being productive, or for those who really cannot work due to a crippling physical disability (disabled veterans, severe injuries, severe defects).

However, I want to get rid of the lazy wastrels who are on it (lazy bums, drug abusers, fraud) who abuse the heck out of it...let them freegan it up, maybe it will be incentive to be productive and/or get off the drugs.

Social workers are very overworked as it is, so I think new ideas (like testing applicants for drugs, I love that idea) need to start the ball rolling and build up cash for more people to take the workload.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
This is an issue that can be approached either rationally or emotionally. The rational consideration I have already stated: It makes no sense to force people into penury when there is no work for them in the first place. nor to clutter the workplace with people who, for any of a variety or reasons, cannot or will not make a productive contribution. We don't need pyramids anymore.

From the emotional side, you can either feel compassion for the unfortunate, or punish them for their misfortune (and that of their parents). Which side to take in that is pretty easy for me, too.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Also, I'm opposed to the government paying for a high school dropout to attend college.
This is why you never let them drop out of high school in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates