Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,390,968 times

Advertisements

I think we need stricter laws against clowns who make up crap about low-income people on he internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 912 times
In my opinion it is a sin and wrong to get on any kind of welfare unless you have a child with a
terminal illness or some old person that has worked all their life but some don't try to save. I live
in the real world and see welfare as an evil every day dope addicts, lazy people and women having
babies expecting other people to care for them all their life. And people retiring on disability claiming
they cannot work. All these welfare people are destroying our country and taking our freedom away.
The democrats wants all people to grovel at their feet for a morsel of food and tell us what we can
and cannot do. God promises to help us if we will serve Him. I lived a long time and worked on a
farm from 4am till after dark and my parents worked so hard and would sit up with sick children all
night and go to the field on a crude farm that day. We had no electricity no modern appliances not
even refrigerator or fan but never any complaints did I hear from my wonderful parents. I could
hear them pray that God would give good weather to make a crop and He always answered that prayer.
You might say well we don't have land well this land cost 1.00 acre and a lot of hard work. My dad
always told us work builds character and when you have character you do not have to take a back seat
to anyone. Yes I believe with all my heart it is a sin to go on welfare unless it is an extreme case.
Let the government take the children from parents who choose to have children for a check and
put them in good homes. I go to church with people that are on welfare with children and are not
married don't work, young people who claim they have back ache or shingles or anything to get a check
and free housing and foodstamps, dope addicts, lazy people what a sin and disgrace these people will answer to God one day.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
I go to church with people that are on welfare with children and are not
married don't work, young people who claim they have back ache or shingles or anything to get a check
and free housing and foodstamps, dope addicts, lazy people what a sin and disgrace these people will answer to God one day.
If you go to church with these people, why don't you confront them? Why do you let them lie, be lazy, etc? Do they get charity from your church? Probably. Thats money that could be doing gods work, not supporting them and their lazy habits and sins.

Im curious here, why do you say this on a internet forum, sounding like it is so horrible, and yet tolerate it in your church?

Ohh....right.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:47 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Under what circumstances do you think handouts are acceptable, if any? And what type of assistance should be provided?
I'm going to test your statement with some information/knowledge that you and others here -- most probably -- do not have. In order to answer, you need to know that "welfare payments" are provided to three groups only: (1) the very young, (2) the very old, and (3) the permanently-and-totally-disabled. This is FACT, by the way, not an opinion.

First Question: Assuming that you wanted to cut welfare payments, which of these three groups -- the very young, the very old, or the permanently-and-totally-disabled -- would you eliminate? Why?

Next Question: Who could possibly be driving the often-touted "Welfare Cadillacs" -- the very young, the very old, or the permanently-and-totally-disabled?

My point is simple: Until one has collected AND UNDERSTANDS all the facts, one should probably keep his/her opinions to himself/herself. Anything else smacks strongly of ignorance, arrogance and bigotry.

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes

Old 12-11-2013, 12:50 AM

833 posts, read 1,198,538 times
I personally have nothing against welfare as a conservative libertarian. The problem is the "leeches" and the lesson taught generations down.

I think they should have to work, or do some community service for the benefits received.

As the best country in the world, we should be able to help our citizens, but what gives? The obummer phones, welfare, food stamps etc..... Should tax-payers really have to pay for a phone, that includes text messaging? They say they give phones to help with jobs. Why not a land-line, or at very least a cell phone that doesn't include text messaging (something I personally pay for extra), what job texts you?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
It's immoral for a government to warehouse many millions of able-bodied Americans on welfare handouts for the rest of their dreary lives --- and at the same time encourage millions of illegal foreigners to stay here grabbing up all the jobs because they'll accept ultra-low wages.

Liberals view jobs as some horrible punishment for everyone except impoverished third world types - then low wages jobs are some kind of American Dream. Somehow laying around on government handouts their whole lives is a good. It's not. The best thing is to be productive and useful and learning more from working jobs.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,036 times
I look at it this way, I'd rather the money be spent here then giving away billions of dollars to other countries who despise us!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I look at it this way, I'd rather the money be spent here then giving away billions of dollars to other countries who despise us!
Yes! And think about how many billions of dollars America has wasted on military and a war the meant nothing.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
The abuse and fraud are my biggest problems with the entitlement spending these days. It bothers me that one can be able-bodied and still receive payments with no work. Some people try to minimize the issue by saying how small a percentage of the federal budget these payments are, but to many of us, that is not the point. You don't have to promise a cut will single-handedly eliminate the debt or slash the deficit for it to be effective.

I also have a problem with the ability to buy terribly unhealthy foods with EBT cards and the like. I resent the fact that one can purchase junk food with tax dollars. The food choices should be limited to food as fuel.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:07 AM

393 posts, read 409,039 times
Why welfare and aid to the unfortunate, and almost anyone else who's not responsible or just plain lazy.

Here it is.

The US is one step away from a third world country. The ones that have basically want to keep what they have, therefore, we "buy" off the lower class. By buying them off, they won't rebel, steal/rape/murder/plunder/etc, (more than they do now).

The US is becoming divided into areas of security and safety, at a price; (gated communities, suburbs, rural acreages, rich enclaves, etc), and the places you don't want to walk at night.

Don't believe me, imagine what would happen in the benefits were drastically cut, or removed all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates