Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 PM

727 posts, read 1,890,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Any person who loses his job and as a result has to resort to food stamps needs to unload his car with the payments. No big deal to drive a PAID FOR car until the finances are better.

Many many yrs ago I had two cars and when things got rough I sold the 2nd car to tide things over.

Later when I saved enough money would buy a 2nd car again...mainly for back up on my job.

Slight story;

Years back while in the grocery store a VERY WELL DRESSED woman standing in front of me had a county food voucher for her groceries. I was curious why such a elegent dressed woman would need a food voucher. Quickly followed her into the parking lot where she entered a near new Ford Thunderbird with Michagan plates and two children inside.

Okay...children need food. The woman must be making car payments I would think. Why not get rid of the car and the payments till things smooth over.

Naw...why do that...the car is more important to have since food stamps etc are FREE.

Steve
So people are supposed to dress bummy because they are on welfare. Maybe she got her clothes from goodwill or donated to her. And the car...how did you know that the car was hers? How do you know that she didn't borrow the car from someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Have been around this planet for a very long time. I know a Elegant dressed woman with diamond jewerly when I see one. Class look and all she had it without a doubt. I was there...you were not.

Sorry with respect...your just trying to muddle the field with inuendos.

I was a business owner and my wife dressed accordingly to our class level.

Steve

Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM

727 posts, read 1,890,624 times
Quote:
Have been around this planet for a very long time. I know a Elegant dressed woman with diamond jewerly when I see one. Class look and all she had it without a doubt. I was there...you were not.

Sorry with respect...your just trying to muddle the field with inuendos.

Steve
But your generalizing and you yourself don't really know the facts....your assuming and you know what they say about assumers. I'm not trying to "muddle the field with inuendos". I'm simply asking you what if? What if she did get those clothes from goodwill? What if she happened to have these clothes before she hit hard times? What if the jewelry isn't real? Stop assuming and step out of your big "judgemental box"!! You don't know everyones situation. EVERYONE doesn't dress according to their class level......so stop generalizing!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Most of the people with new flashy cars and flashy new clothes are poor in some fashion, usually debt up to their eyeballs in order to finance their lifestyle and are one problem away from the street. Most people who have it saved it instead of buying that crap.

Last edited by subsound; 04-01-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 02:28 PM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
it use to be if you lost your job you were automatically eligable for food stamps for 6 months. So techically, you could afford nice clothes and an SUV and suddenly your in a tough spot. Are you suspose to sell your car because of a temporary set back to reap that whooping 200$ a month in food stamps 6 months. That is what the program was established for and most like that person has been paying in for years.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM

41,945 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
I was curious why such a elegent dressed woman would need a food voucher. Quickly followed her into the parking lot where she entered a near new Ford Thunderbird with Michagan plates and two children inside.
I'm curious to know why it's anyone's business what she was wearing or driving.

You didn't know the woman's circumstances, so you have no room to make assumptions, generalizations or judgements.

Quote:
Which is ... what exactly? Where is the law that says one must dress according to some arbitrarily set socioeconomic group?

What if I made a generalization, based on your previously posted generalizations, about your "class level"? What then?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I've known millionaires...one always wore a farmers coveralls and drove an old Cad...another owned 1/2 of a Exclusive Motel chain with his dad...another who wore old sweaters with a patch on the elbow (old style).

These were not Hollywood people but earned their money thru hard work or owning a business they ran.The one with the patch on the elbow owned 8 grocery mkts with a brother.

These people never had welfare handouts but through education and/or work ethics became wealthy.

Can you say that you have done the same?

Steve

Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 PM

41 posts, read 68,306 times
I love it when people talk like it is some kind of great burden on the taxpayers, feeding the poor. Do you realize how much food is produced in the US? There is such an abundance of food in this country it's almost ridiculous! You people act like we're all still subsistence farmers barely scraping by in our little fields...

About welfare, I think that since the people have been removed from their natural means of subsistence -the land, and since there clearly aren't enough viable jobs for humans to perform in our modern world, providing for the most basic, subsistence needs of the people is a necessity.

I don't know about you, but the kind of country I want to live in does not include people starving in the streets, for ANY reason. It's amazing to see people so deeply entrenched in their "every man for himself, survival of the fittest" ideologies, to allow them to rationalize letting people, children even, starve in the richest country in human history. Sick stuff.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not to worry welfare about to go thru a megachange.
this will be a multi thrust assault on the system.
Huckleberry, you always have the most wise saying....(:>)

Old 04-01-2009, 03:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_t View Post
I love it when people talk like it is some kind of great burden on the taxpayers, feeding the poor. Do you realize how much food is produced in the US? There is such an abundance of food in this country it's almost ridiculous! You people act like we're all still subsistence farmers barely scraping by in our little fields...

About welfare, I think that since the people have been removed from their natural means of subsistence -the land, and since there clearly aren't enough viable jobs for humans to perform in our modern world, providing for the most basic, subsistence needs of the people is a necessity.

I don't know about you, but the kind of country I want to live in does not include people starving in the streets, for ANY reason. It's amazing to see people so deeply entrenched in their "every man for himself, survival of the fittest" ideologies, to allow them to rationalize letting people, children even, starve in the richest country in human history. Sick stuff.
I need 20 bucks, how soon will you be sending it to me George?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates