Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:03 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the topic for a Great Debate forum, but I just had a discussion with my husband about dentists having the highest suicide rate.
In his opinion, the reason for that is that dentists daily put people through a lot of pain, people scream and cringe from pain in their faces constantly and it catches up to them emotionally.

A friend of mine wants to become a dentist and also wonders about this.

Does anyone have an opinion about that?

ETA: is this a correct statistic anyway or is it just a myth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 06:23 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
I worked for several dentists over the years, and I found them to be upbeat people. Sure patients were in pain, but it was great satisfaction to see them leave the office pain free and surprised that it wasn't as bad as they thought it was going to be. So I do not understand the stats about dentists and suicide.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There doesn't appear to be any statistical data to support the off the cuff remark made by Seinfeild.

The Straight Dope: What occupation has the highest suicide rate?

Stress-related suicide by dentists and other health care workers: Fact or folklore? -- ALEXANDER 132 (6): 786 -- The Journal of the American Dental Association

Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Seems to me, having a job that required having to mess around in someones mouth, and smell their bad breath for a job, would make me question my decision making powers.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:42 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I have heard that's an urban myth. Any cites?
In docs, anesthesiologists might come in first- such easy means to a painless end.
I've heard that said about dentists supposedly because people hate to come and see them. But if that were the case, proctologists would probably be first.
I do think it's hard to categorize, because so many people are very good at hiding their suicide, you know, single-car accidents and the like.
I did know a psychotically depressed dentist who gutted himself in his yard with his dentist tools. Like I said, psychotic. (He recovered from both but went to work as a gardener at a famous estate).

Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
I don't have a link to support it, but i do recall hearing that 70% of dentists initially chose to be M.D's, but had to change to dentistry because they were failing med school. So it's fair to say, most dentists are in dentistry because they couldn't waste the credits and the tuition money that they spent when they failed in their pursuit of becoming a doctor.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I don't have a link to support it, but i do recall hearing that 70% of dentists initially chose to be M.D's, but had to change to dentistry because they were failing med school. So it's fair to say, most dentists are in dentistry because they couldn't waste the credits and the tuition money that they spent when they failed in their pursuit of becoming a doctor.
I'd like to see the methodology of the survey that came up with that figure.

I "do recall hearing" that 70% of all quoted surveys are just made up.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:45 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I'm not sure if this is the topic for a Great Debate forum, but I just had a discussion with my husband about dentists having the highest suicide rate.
In his opinion, the reason for that is that dentists daily put people through a lot of pain, people scream and cringe from pain in their faces constantly and it catches up to them emotionally.

I think it's remorse for charging so expensive.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:15 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post

I've never heard of this statistic before. Dentists have a higher suicidal rate as compared to what? Do you have any links to clarify this assertion?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
criminal judges have high suicide rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates