Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times

Advertisements

I think there are other threads out there, but this is a good place for one too.

They are debating right now whether to try and clone a neanderthal.

what about a dinosaur?

a britney spears clone (classic version, just for me )

now, this isnt a question of if it will happen. these things will happen

how do you feel about it?

how would you feel if someone cloned you, or someone you love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,144 times
Anything that will improve our quality of life, health and safety -- I am all for it. I certainly don't have a knee-jerk reaction to cloning as being automatically immoral. Certainly, the cloning of organ tissue is the future of medicine, since it will allow transplant recipients to lead normal lives, without risks of organ failure or the problematic effects of immunosuppression therapy. It would also eliminate the problem of transplant candidates spending years (and sometimes dying) waiting for a donor. (And, contrary to what they've shown us in "The Island", cloning organ tissue will certainly be easier than cloning whole humans.)

The Neanderthal Genome project is underway -- but cloning an actual organism is a long way away from sequencing the genes. Just like cloning Britney Spears, this is still in the realm of science fiction.

Ultimately, even after scientists have mastered human cloning, it would still probably be a complicated and expensive procedure for a very long time -- and subject to numerous medical protocols and guidelines. Cloning would most likely be used for tissue transplants and treatment of serious diseases and infertility. I don't think that merely mastering the technology will lead to commercial cloning of sex slaves, chimeras or designer super-children. After all, when organ transplantation first became a reality, it could be argued that healthy people would now be hunted down in the streets for their kidneys and livers -- and that hasn't happened. I mean, there are exceptions, but mostly, it's the stuff of urban legends. I am not saying that cloning could never result in a nightmare, but I think those fears are extremely exaggerated. When push comes to shove, our society has enough mechanisms to put brakes on unethical medicine.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:47 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,951,292 times
I fully agree with Redisca regarding the cloning of tissues. If we have the medical capability to make body organs that can save lives and be used with a much reduced chance of the body rejecting the organ, than we owe it to society to provide the best medical facilitation available.

With regards to human cloning (an entire person, not just organs or body parts), I'm against it. We, as a species, are procreating well enough to burn out the resources on this planet far in advance of wiping ourselves out as a species. We can't provide (logistically) for all the people that exist today, if we start a cloning project, it should be solely for survival of our species. And, once again, I think reproduction is one thing the human race is not falling short on.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:20 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I fully agree with Redisca regarding the cloning of tissues. If we have the medical capability to make body organs that can save lives and be used with a much reduced chance of the body rejecting the organ, than we owe it to society to provide the best medical facilitation available.
Absolutely agree.

I am for genetic engineering, but only to the point where it's safe and to save life. There's a big difference of engineering to save a life (from genetic disorders, disease resistant crops) and eugenics (Eugenics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Radically altering genetics for certain traits can bring up problems even generations later.

Full human cloning I'm not sure I would agree with either, too complicated to know what would happen...and I can't see a big benefit for it.

Last edited by subsound; 11-25-2008 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,328 times
I have no moral objections to cloning of animals, tissues, organs, OR people. I do think it would be rather silly to clone people though. I mean, they wouldn't be the same person that they were cloned from, due to a number of factors. There will certainly have to be a lot of new laws made in regard to cloning, too, because I wouldn't want someone to be cloned without their consent.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
No problems with cloning and I don't believe some wacko is going to use it for evil.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No problems with cloning and I don't believe some wacko is going to use it for evil.
Oh, come on now. If it won't be used for evil, where's the fun in it?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:50 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
i see it being used for

sex toys
assassins
soldiers, perhaps?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Unless there was a darn good medical reason for cloning, at least I wouldn't want to see tax money spent on cloning.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,686,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Unless there was a darn good medical reason for cloning, at least I wouldn't want to see tax money spent on cloning.
There is a darn good medical reason for cloning. And scientific research in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates