Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times

Advertisements

If one assumed everyone around them was a closet racist, or anyone who denies it, wouldn't that push people to behave badly towards the person and reinforce their belief that people around them are racist?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:00 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,303 times
Whats wrong with being racist? I dont have a problem with it either way. I have had racism directed at me by blacks many times and I have done the same in return. And I gotta tell ya im not bothered by it. It actually gives me a uniform direction in life, that works for me. Being racist doesn,t always mean snarling at or insulting people, it just helps guide you to your comfort zone. My comfort zone is with white people. The problem really is whites who aren,t comfortable in their own skin.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,109,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Do you know anyone who openly declares him/herself being a racist? Probably not, unless you know members of groups such as the Klan.
For me, it's hearing people start talking about how they don't care about the color of skin, but then they endlessly rant and rave about mistakes and shortcomings of another race. I think this is the technique used by talk radio show hosts.
What are the things you look for to determine if a person is a racist or not?
A few people on the white side of my family were open racist. Funny thing is, they had no problems chatting it up with black folks in public. Man, some of the things they said behind closed doors about "N%$$#rs" wasn't very nice, though. I guess technically they were not open racist to everyone, but they were around me.

As for things that tip me off about certain people in real life:

- Claiming that everyone is really a racist to an extent. This leads me to believe they're racist and trying to justify it, because hey, so is everyone else! What's the big deal?

- Anyone who says that it's the people who bring attention to racism that are the real problem instead of racism itself.

- Whenever I hear someone say "it's getting pretty bad" when referring to the increasing number of Mexicans moving into a neighborhood. That or people bitching about how whites are the minority now.

- And, of course, the ultimate litmus test: Anyone opposed to interracial relationships simply because of skin color. You want to see who really is or isn't a racist, let their daughter/son bring home someone of a different race.

Of course, I'm not saying if your daughter brought home Mike Tyson or Kid Rock you shouldn't be upset about it, but that's got nothing to do with race

Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm a racist. Or at least, I've been called that. I notice that nearly the players in the NBA are black. I have to detect that for myself, because the commentators never make any reference to that. I notice that when a driver drives a car with rims and a boomer in the trunk, slumped down in the drivers seat so he can barely see over the hood, cruising real slow through malls and supermarket parking lots, but never stopping and getting out, I notice that he is always black. It is racist to notice that. Being blind is not an asset nor a virtue. But it is politically correct.
The races are different. The various races are different intellectually, emotionally, bahaviorally, etc. Also, different ethnic groups within the races are also different.

Noticing differences between the various races is not sufficient in order to be racist. In order to be racist, noticing differences must have an additional tag such as 'therefore I hate all of them' or 'therefore my race should rule all of them'.

You cite an obvious example. Blacks are better basketball players than most other races. In fact, I would go on to say that Blacks are better atletes than other races. Where would the United States be in the summer olympics without the Black man?

It is not racist to notice this. It may have become politically incorrect to mention it. I believe this is because there are those who would want you to believe that there is flat out NO differences between the races other than appearance. That is utter nonsense as anyone with a half a brain realizes.

- Reel

Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Whats wrong with being racist? I dont have a problem with it either way. I have had racism directed at me by blacks many times and I have done the same in return. And I gotta tell ya im not bothered by it. It actually gives me a uniform direction in life, that works for me. Being racist doesn,t always mean snarling at or insulting people, it just helps guide you to your comfort zone. My comfort zone is with white people. The problem really is whites who aren,t comfortable in their own skin.
Racism cannot be directed at you. Racism is a belief. What you had directed at you was prejudice and discrimination and not racism. Racism can and does result in prejudice and discrimination.

- Reel

Old 06-25-2009, 09:51 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Racism cannot be directed at you. Racism is a belief. What you had directed at you was prejudice and discrimination and not racism. Racism can and does result in prejudice and discrimination.

- Reel
If racism can and does result in prejudice and discrimination. Then what your saying is racism is the core? And if that is so than that means racism can be directed at you because it encompasses both of the underlying effects of it.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 AM

227 posts, read 535,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post

- Reel
This is exactly right. Racism is a belief. The things people call racist are only the result of evolutionary differences between the different races of which those of European decent are on top and others envy that position. Evolution is not racist, It does'nt care, it simply works along with nature and some get kicked along the way. Jealously follows and trouble starts.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Oh, there are unapologetic racists around. That being said, I think the term 'racist' is a billyclub that lazy people trot out in discussions when they encounter an opinion they don't care for. So if you don't buy into PC dogma 100%, you are beaten with it until you apologize on the Larry King show or pay proper obeisance to Jesse Jackson. And even then, they're not satisfied.

For example, if I have a discussion with a black man who condemns society for persistent black poverty, and then I point out that 70% of black children are born into single-parent households (Compared to roughly 20% in the 1950s) and that a highly disproportionate number of black teenagers drop out of high school, then am I a racist--or am I offering a well-considered rebuttal that actually advances the debate?

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-25-2009 at 05:33 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
If racism can and does result in prejudice and discrimination. Then what your saying is racism is the core? And if that is so than that means racism can be directed at you because it encompasses both of the underlying effects of it.
No, you are incorrect. The racism is not directed at you. The resulting prejudice and discrimination are directed at you.

- Reel

Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM

522 posts, read 1,855,264 times
I'm not racist, I just dont like ignorant people that are disrespectful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates