Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:03 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,647 times

Advertisements

Okay.
So im fed up with racism, I admit that I've had my retarded racial views too, HOWEVER: I got a black friend and totally changed my views.

And I strongly believe that we MUST get over skincolor. I noticed that black people in Compton aint bad either, and the negative attitudes I got from blacks before were my own fault. I acted like I was better than them.

I love Compton.

So I'd like to know what do YOU think?
Do you think we should get OVER racism finally, and what are your ideas on HOW to accomplish this?

I personally think that its 2009, we should be waay over race.
And how to do this? I seriously dont know any solution except educating people. OR: Interracial marriage, if everyone does it, racism will be gone in 1 generation.

No one should get dumped on because their skincolor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 PM

30 posts, read 56,755 times
Definitely agree. I despise racism. I think for the most part the country has gotten past race. Living in south Louisiana, where people assume racism is "rampant", there aren't even many rednecks (I have known quite a few) who would have a coarse word to say about people of another race. We have even elected a minority to be our governor and he remains very popular (Although his negative rating is 30% now, it was a mere 7% last year). Unfortunately there are some people who want to believe racism is "commonplace" in order to remain relevant (read Al Sharpton).

Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
I think the problem isn't necessarily racism, but perceived racism. We have to be so politically correct all the time and too many people look for an offense. It cuts both ways to both the offender and offendee.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:21 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
Its problematic because some people are racist and some are just a horses ass who treats every one bad, how do you tell?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:09 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,028 times
Overreacting to someone's race is just as bad as ignoring it. There's nothing wrong with recognizing diversity. It should be celebrated, actually.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
I think that the problem is very much not about skin colour, but differences between certain cultures and how people of those cultures tend to behave (attitude, morals, dress code), especially publicly.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Honestly, I think that people are sick to death of the whole 'racist' tag - it is used to accuse and inflame as well as to excuse behavior.

Some people are bunghauls. Some are morons. Some refuse to educate themselves. Some want the whole world to support and excuse their behavior. Some want to take advantage of others, even to the point of robbing/harming/killing them for their own selfish desires. Some thiink that it is ok to steal, lie, and cheat. And people like that are from all races and colors and heredity and religions and walks of life. Unfortunately they seem to gravitate towards each other, forming whole neighborhoods and communities. Those who know better, who want better, for themselves, either avoid those communities or move out as soon as they can.

I am so tired of being called a racist because I have opinions about behavior.

I have one prejudice - I hate stupid people. Stupid comes in all colors; you can't fix it, you can't educate it, you can't love it or hug it away, and you can't excuse the resultant behavior because of color or heredity or social relationships. Stupid is a choice. Using stupidity as an excuse for behavior galls me - and the misplaced sympathy of "They can't help it, their skin color/neighborhood/school/peer group/parentage/heredity....etc MADE them that way" is wolf cookies. It's basically saying that people of a skin color or race or belief system or culture HAVE to behave a certain way, they can't help themselves, aren't smart enough, and never will be smart enough, to make a choice all by their little selves, and therefore have to be excused over and over again - to me is profoundly racist. Why the people of any race or culture would allow themselves to be designated as helpless victims of their own 'cultural tendencies', why they are not deeply insulted, even outraged, by being excused solely because of their race, color, religion, or peer group, is a lifelong puzzle to me.

I judge people on behavior. Period. A criminal's or a saint's behavior is not dependent on color, and neither should their reasoning -or excuses- be.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 PM

515 posts, read 716,445 times
How come no one ever discusses extreme racism? Vast areas of our cities are dangerous "no go" zones for Whites because of deadly violence of the inhabitants of ghettos, projects and barrios and yet we, as a people, seem to accept this situation as normal.

Those of us who dare to raise this issue are immediately branded as racists...and we all know that racists are now considered to be even worse than pedophiles!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
Exactly my point, meemy - We excuse criminal behavior because "they can't help themselves". We pretend it isn't their fault, it isn't their choice, to commit crimes and to live like pack animals, slaughtering and taking whatever they want from whomever they choose, terrifying not only 'whites' but anyone of their own race who DOESN'T choose to live that way. When you tell a group - any group - of people, over and over again, that they are too stupid to raise their eyes up from filth and to improve themselves, that they need government assistance to even exist, that they need leadership to indulge and excuse every type of behavior based solely on their race or color, you create an entire underclass of people with a ready-made excuse for any and every behavior.

Every individual should receive the exact amount of justice for every infraction, every choice s/he makes to take from/infringe upon the rights of others. Period. From Madoff down to the local car thief. They don't and won't, because we permit excuses for their behavior, even laugh about it. Pooorr idiots - they couldn't help themselves. Ha. Ha. We're so much smarter than they are. Our desperate need to cling to emotional superiority rather than to use cold hard justice that separates fact from fiction, perp from victim, makes racists of us all.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemy View Post
How come no one ever discusses extreme racism? Vast areas of our cities are dangerous "no go" zones for Whites because of deadly violence of the inhabitants of ghettos, projects and barrios and yet we, as a people, seem to accept this situation as normal.

Those of us who dare to raise this issue are immediately branded as racists...and we all know that racists are now considered to be even worse than pedophiles!
Dont know what ghettos you talkin about. But Compton aint like that man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates