Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

Do you think that more students need in school suspension or out of school suspension? Me I personally think that more students need in school suspension cause many of the students who gets suspended from school don't really care much cause for them the best part about getting suspended is that they don't have to attend classes, I think that they need to support in school suspension more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 01:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I think there ought to be a separate wing of the school, that kids get transferred to, instead of suspended. It runs something like a boot camp, requires special haircuts and uniforms, etc. Strict truancy enforcement for kids transferred there who don't show up. Kids from dysfunctional families, whose parents don't care, it probably won't make any difference. But for most kids, they'll try pretty hard to avoid being sent there.

I also think it is extremely important to have a proper hearing under fair circumstances before any punishment of that kind of severity. A school is a quasi-governmental organization, and everyone in the school is entitled to a presumption of innocence.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Out of school suspensions are usually entered on the student's permanent record, so it should be used sparingly. However, most students prefer that so that they can either stay home or go to work. For students who have exceeded in-school suspensions, there should be a classroom that is led by an administrator and outside personnel who can help to influence students in the right direction. You will find that due process is used in most schools today. In fact, it takes a lot more information for students to have severe punishments than it would in a real court of law. A student basically has to admit to any infraction unless it can be proved without a doubt. Usually in-school suspension has the students working on their regular classroom assignments; they just are not in their classroom doing the work. However, if they refuse to work or are disruptive in the ISS room (which is why many of them are in there to start with--they were disruptive in the classroom), then they are looking at out of school suspensions. Since parents must bring their child to school when they return from OSS, the administrative staff quite often gets to see why students behave the way that they do.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:13 PM

47 posts, read 77,098 times
i hated ISS
no talkin
stay at the desk for the whole school day
doin school work and cant sleep
cant go to lunch wit the rest of the school
ISS = WAKK

Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 13,787 times
I think that ISS is more effective as a punishment, because, as stated above, OSS allows students free time with no classes. ISS forces them to stay put, be more bored than in normal classes, separate from interactions with friends, and still have to do all the work at school.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My son had ISS once for an unexcused absence. The biggest gripe for me was that he had to miss assignments and quizzes given in his regular classes that day, while he sat in a room all day reading a book, which is all they were allowed to do. Then he was behind in all his school work and had to play catch up. I don't think our schools do ISS correctly.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:17 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbody1991 View Post
i hated ISS
no talkin
stay at the desk for the whole school day
doin school work and cant sleep
cant go to lunch wit the rest of the school
ISS = WAKK
That is the point~obviously you weren't doing what was expected in class right to get ISS? So why should you get the "fun" stuff at school and not the other parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My son had ISS once for an unexcused absence. The biggest gripe for me was that he had to miss assignments and quizzes given in his regular classes that day, while he sat in a room all day reading a book, which is all they were allowed to do. Then he was behind in all his school work and had to play catch up. I don't think our schools do ISS correctly.
Mom did it make your son do better once he was back in the classroom? If you don't like they only read a book go to your school board and ask them to allow class homework to be done.

I think ISS should be given instead of out of school. Out of school you are almost rewarding them for bad behavior. Most schools I know of have ISS separated from other students even at lunch. Oh my.

Last edited by Jaxson; 05-24-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Mom did it make your son do better once he was back in the classroom? If you don't like they only read a book go to your school board and ask them to allow class homework to be done.
Well he is graduating in 3 weeks so it's not a concern for me, but to answer your question; NO. It was an unexcused absence ("senior cut day") and had nothing to with his work ethics.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I remember ISS when I was a kid, it was somewhat okay to stay for an hour after school...unless you were stupid or it was worth it you avoided that.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
At least with ISS the kid has less chance of having fun. Give them OSS and they are home for a day or two having fun, watching TV, playing videos ect... We have Saturday School here. It's detention on Saturday from 8-1. If the kid skips Saturday School, it's ISS. Skip ISS and you get OSS. Heck, you could commit three infractions and get a day off of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates