Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a neighborhood with no one else of your race/ethnic group?
Yes, the ethnic group of my neighbors is not important as long as they are good people 42 60.00%
No, I would feel uncomfortable. I would like to live in a neighborhood dominated by my ethnic group 17 24.29%
I want to live in a true United Nations type community 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times

Advertisements

I think you are kind of answering your own question. I believe it is about economic and cultural status rather than race for many people. (Obviously not for others.) I believe your black neighbor is used to being the "only" since he is a minority. As to living in an all-something other than majority neighborhood, for me, it would be all about those cultural and economic points you mentioned. To be perfectly blunt--a neighborhood of other than my own race with people who maintained their property, showed neighborly respect, had community spirit and a help thy neighbor attitude would be far preferable to my own race in a neighborhood of trash--in all respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
as long as the neighborhood was good, of course - that's my top priority

i wouldn't want to live in a trailer park, housing project, barrio, etc regardless of the ethnicity match between me and the other residents.

this is one of the main thing I like about new growth cities - the divisions are more on socioeconomic reasons than blind race/ethnicity ....... you do have communities of people who are new to the country and they do tend to flock together (for example the mexican communities in phx, the somali & hmong communities in the twin cities, etc) - however, down here in phoenix no one really cares about your race as long as you take care of your property, be a good neighbor, etc ........ it's nice

Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
If everyone is so open minded then why do so many people choose to live in communities and neighborhoods that are basically one race? Many people who come from a specific immigrant group will choose to live with their people, black with blacks and whites with whites. Are the people on this board really so enlightened and open? Or are they just trying to be politically correct?

That was not the OP question. To be willing to live in such a neighborhood is not the same thing as preferring to live in such a neighborhood.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:27 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
I do not believe the answers so far. I think that all of you are just being politically correct.

Even if the people were fine folks who took care of their yards and homes and respected each other, few of you would want to live in a neighboorhood where everyone other than you were a different race or ethnic group. It is against human nature.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
I do not believe the answers so far. I think that all of you are just being politically correct.

Even if the people were fine folks who took care of their yards and homes and respected each other, few of you would want to live in a neighboorhood where everyone other than you were a different race or ethnic group. It is against human nature.
You have a really bad case of confirmation bias.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:39 PM

pretty much - not sure why it's hard to believe that people could care more about how their neighbors act and what a neighborhood provides as opposed to what the residents look like

Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
pretty much - not sure why it's hard to believe that people could care more about how their neighbors act and what a neighborhood provides as opposed to what the residents look like
People want both. Human Nature tells us to live with people like ourselves both ethnically and culturally. It is not all or nothing!

(That is not saying we can not enjoy interacting with people of different races and social economic status, but we go to church with people like us and want to live near people like us, that is why ethnic neighborhoods started and still exist.)

Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Read Post #2.

We're not talking about theory. We're talking about reality.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

Who are you to preach about human nature? Since youre inclined to spout off about what you think regarding others honesty I think I'll spout.

I think you are a bigot who cant believe everyone else is not like you & starts these threads hoping to confirm your mistaken beliefs.
What color were the folks who cut the trees & failed to manicure their lawn?

I think most people, I know I certainly do, live in rather diverse neighborhoods. I count among my friends & neighbors Haitians, Italian, Greek, Black, Mexican, Honduran & thats off the top of my head, theres more.
Now I might feel awkward living in China Town but somehow I dont think thats what your trying to say.

About the only people I dont like are snobs & snobby white folks are the worst.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM

they also started due to heavy discrimination and kind of a tribal identity

it wasn't so much "hey let's just hang out with those like us" as it was "under no circumstance should you mingle with those who are not like us"

this goes back into ancient history, but even in american context it was pretty prevelant - you had immigrant groups that lived together in more of a support role than anything as they transitioned into the country, however it was hard to transition out as prejudice was rampant

that led to a the formation of a lot of very tight knitted ethnic communities - however, as time has progressed they have become more integrated

right now most places in the US don't care if you are of irish, italian, jewish, scandinavian, russian or english origin - 200 years ago you better stay in your own neighborhood

heck, even in the early 40s my english grandmother was warned about going out dancing in one of the neighboring towns as it wouldn't look good to socialize with all those italian boys

these neighborhoods are breaking down and in new growth cities aren't even existing

i don't think it's an ingrained nature as much as a tought reaction - right now if you can afford to be in a desirable neighborhood there is a great chance that you have a lot in common with your neighbors as far as what is important to you ...... be it education (good schools servicing the neighborhood), shopping & amenities (mall nearby), freeway access, housing style, lot sizes, location, etc ......... all these similarities overcome the difference in ethnicity or race
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates