Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,621 times

Advertisements

A question comes to my mind, since the media in my city and Hollywood, in particular, have been pressing for gay rights. I feel that I am going to stir very negative feelings in some people, and that is not my purpose. But...

I know there are lots of decent male/female gay people, who deserve their rights. I also know that between the two genders in that lifestyle, many of the men are very much more promiscuous, than the female gender, and among them, there are also lots of pedophiles, which is the reason for NAMBLA (North American Man/Boy Love Association.] An organization that supports relationships between adults and minors. With this said, how are lawmakers going to be able to differentiate between who belongs to NAMBLA, and who does not, when a same-sex male couple wants to adopt a child................just wondering!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM

72 posts, read 264,450 times
At times, a leap of faith must be taken. You always take a leap of faith when you place children under the care of strangers, whether they be homosexual or heterosexual.

I would hope that orphanages would take the time to look into the lives of those who they are putting children with. Orphanages should ALWAYS look to references of the adopters. I also think it is important to check up on the children following their release to make sure nothing bad is happening to them.

NAMBLA is not a good organization, but frankly, an organization as small as that should not hinder the rights of a minority that consists of millions.

There are Muslims in the West who circumcise their daughters. Indeed, they are very few in number, but should we prevent Muslims from adopting as well because of this reason? I don't think so.

Never let the few take away the rights of the most.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
many of the men are very much more promiscuous, than the female gender, and among them, there are also lots of pedophiles, which is the reason for NAMBLA (North American Man/Boy Love Association.] An organization that supports relationships between adults and minors. With this said, how are lawmakers going to be able to differentiate between who belongs to NAMBLA, and who does not, when a same-sex male couple wants to adopt a child................just wondering!!!!!
Where do you get your data on pedophilia and gays? the majority of pedophiles are heterosexual so the analogy is a non-sequitur. The academic studies that I've seen state that the majority of pedophiles are heterosexual, so pedophilia is primarily a heterosexual problem. A little research and self education never hurt anyone.

Here is one of those studies:
Using the fixated-regressed distinction, Groth and Birnbaum (1978) studied 175 adult males who were convicted in Massachusetts of sexual assault against a child. None of the men had an exclusively homosexual adult sexual orientation. 83 (47%) were classified as "fixated;" 70 others (40%) were classified as regressed adult heterosexuals; the remaining 22 (13%) were classified as regressed adult bisexuals. Of the last group, Groth and Birnbaum observed that "in their adult relationships they engaged in sex on occasion with men as well as with women. However, in no case did this attraction to men exceed their preference for women....There were no men who were primarily sexually attracted to other adult males..." (p.180).

Groth, A.N., & Birnbaum, H.J. (1978). Adult sexual orientation and attraction to underage persons. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 7 (3), 175-181.

so Latina tell me how lawmakers can distinguish between heterosexual pedophiles who are adopting children and heterosexual non-pedophiles who are adopting children?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
My views on issues related to homosexuality vary depending on the specific issue, but are predominantly conservative. What I'm about to say is an issue in itself, which might be better discussed in a separate thread if people want to get into, but I believe that there is reason to at least question seriously whether being raised by a same-sex couple is a good situation for a child, for various reasons which can get rather complicated (again, a reason that a separate thread might be the place to discuss the general issue of adoptions by same-sex couples, if people want to go with that conversation). However, when it comes to the issue of pedophilia, it's my understanding that the rates of pedophilia are no higher among the homosexual than among the heterosexual population.

I'm disgusted by an organization like NAMBLA, and I can also see reason to be disturbed by the fact that the political activism of the gay rights movement has found its way into alignments with those claiming rights for any and all sexual tendencies tradtionally considered perverse, including pedophilia, but, specifically regarding the question of pedophilia as it relates to children being raised by same-sex couples, there seems to be no higher risk than there would be that an adopted child could become a victim of a heterosexual parent with such tendencies.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
A question comes to my mind, since the media in my city and Hollywood, in particular, have been pressing for gay rights. I feel that I am going to stir very negative feelings in some people, and that is not my purpose. But...

I know there are lots of decent male/female gay people, who deserve their rights. I also know that between the two genders in that lifestyle, many of the men are very much more promiscuous, than the female gender, and among them, there are also lots of pedophiles, which is the reason for NAMBLA (North American Man/Boy Love Association.] An organization that supports relationships between adults and minors. With this said, how are lawmakers going to be able to differentiate between who belongs to NAMBLA, and who does not, when a same-sex male couple wants to adopt a child................just wondering!!!!!
You are so wrong about the pedophile issue but a previous poster has already addressed that issue so I won't comment. You are also so very wrong on the promiscuity issue. Have you been to the local heterosexual pub in any major city recently? Do you have any idea how much heterosexual adultery goes on? Have you been to a college frat party recently? You are living in some kind of dream world if you don't think there is widespread heterosexual promiscuity going on.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:39 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:

Its not an issue of the adopters rights. Its an issue of the childs rights.
It astonishes me how people can be so self centered as to believe their rights are compromised because their lifestyle choices make them unsuitable for some things.
IMO known homosexuals should not be allowed to adopt. Most often folks put their kids up for adoption in the hopes of he kid having a better chance than thy can offer. Not so they can be sent to some deviants house for some sick social experiment. Its all about normalizing gayness & has nothing to do with the welfare of the child.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I would think most states have competent social workers who can place children in good loving homes.
They do a lot of background checks, reference checks, etc.
Of course mistakes can, have, and will happen but I wouldn't let the deeds of a few punish the many/all.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM

250 posts, read 905,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You are so wrong about the pedophile issue but a previous poster has already addressed that issue so I won't comment. You are also so very wrong on the promiscuity issue. Have you been to the local heterosexual pub in any major city recently? Do you have any idea how much heterosexual adultery goes on? Have you been to a college frat party recently? You are living in some kind of dream world if you don't think there is widespread heterosexual promiscuity going on.

"I also know that between the two genders in that lifestyle, many of the men are very much more promiscuous, than the female gender,"

I think the poster was saying there is more promiscuity among gay men over lesbian women.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 AM

72 posts, read 264,450 times
Gay men are definitely more promiscuous. I used to work at a gay club and a straight club as a bartender. Gay men vastly out due hetero women in the promiscuity department. I know this.

Here is one study on the issue.

WikiAnswers - What is the average number of sex partners a gay man has in a lifetime

I personally don't think promiscuity is a bad thing. If you like sex, have it!

Promiscuity is not something that should hinder adoption rights. One of my aunts has slept with over 40 people, but she is currently married and has two kids, living in a big house and is doing great. I myself am fairly promiscuous, and I think I will make a great parent (when I'm in my 30's). Haha.

Gay men who are in committed relationships are no less likely to raise dysfunctional kids than straight parents. Therefore, I think they should have completely equal adoption rights.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM

199 posts, read 653,043 times
Quote:
how are lawmakers going to be able to differentiate between who belongs to NAMBLA, and who does not, when a same-sex male couple wants to adopt a child................just wondering!!!!!
well this this way.... if anyone in a "legit" couple (man-woman) relationship adopt a child, who is to say neither of them will abuse the child?

So wth does being gay and adopting have anything to do with anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates