Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times

Advertisements

Can both sides give it a rest?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Can both sides give it a rest?
No

But you are free to move along to another thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
No

But you are free to move along to another thread
And I'm free to state my views here, just like you are and everyone else

Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
And I'm free to state my views here, just like you are and everyone else
Imagine if everyone in every thread had the viewpoint of giving the topic of the thread a rest...there'd be no discussion thus negating the point of having a forum.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Imagine if everyone in every thread had the viewpoint of giving the topic of the thread a rest...there'd be no discussion thus negating the point of having a forum.
Fair enough-you make a very valid point.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:53 AM

261 posts, read 944,242 times
[quote=NVplumber;9103985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
"You heterosexuals"? Got a little us an them going on there bub? OK, you don't like heterosexuals, I get the point. I have never wronged a gay person in my life, nor have I a problem with 'you homosexuals' having live in relationships, property rights whatever but generalizing statements like this quoted post TICK me off. Being heterosexual makes one worthy of contempt in your eyes? Give it a rest will ya. Take some of your own advice and quit it with the rocks. Are 'you homosexuals' ruining marrige? Not in my view, but I'm just one person. Posts like the above are certainly ruining any credibility you wish to gain , however. Is there such a thing as 'heterophobic'? Starting to look that way................

I have NO issue with heterosexuals, I was providing in my opinion, an equal but opposite view based on the original statement regarding the so called "bastardizing of marriage by homosexuals"

Not intended to offend heterosexuals in general, just have issues with blatently blaming of homosexuals over the demise of "marriage". Considering homosexuals have no right to marry it is beyond me as to how homosexuals have ruined it already.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,694 times
I say we just leave everyone to their own thing. If you dont like it, who cares no one is out auditioning for your approval...all anyone wants is to be able to do what they want, when they want, how they want.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,419 times
I have read many of these blogs, because, although I am not gay, I was born and raised in Hollywood, CA and worked in the entertainment industry, I have been friends with many gay people. I have always had two big questions about being Gay that have never been answered. to my satisfaction. Why are you gay and why is your sexuality the center of your world. As for being gay, the choice due to upbringing and the genetic reasons are about 50/50 which is not conclusive to me personally based the people I have known. I have heard many reasons about the fixation on sexuality, but most of them have to do with how long it has taken gays to be accepted and their fears that they may loose that. As a straight person, I just want to know you as a person and I am sure a lot of other people would also, but at this point in time, you are almost like evangelical Christians who are in my face all day long telling me I am wrong if I don't agree with everything they say. That is stressful, and makes me want to run for cover. Why can't you just be the good genuine people you are? You don't care about my sexuality, why shoudl I care about yours??
I would sincerely appreciate answers from gay people who can educate me and answer my sincere questions.

Last edited by yukiko11; 06-04-2009 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I have read many of these blogs, because, although I am not gay, I was born and raised in Hollywood, CA and worked in the entertainment industry, I have been friends with many gay people. I have always had two big questions about being Gay that have never been answered. to my satisfaction. Why are you gay and why is your sexuality the center of your world. As for being gay, the choice due to upbringing and the genetic reasons are about 50/50 which is not conclusive to me personally based the people I have known. I have heard many reasons about the fixation on sexuality, but most of them have to do with how long it has taken gays to be accepted and their fears that they may loose that. As a straight person, I just want to know you as a person and I am sure a lot of other people would also, but at this point in time, you are almost like evangelical Christians who are in my face all day long telling me I am wrong if I don't agree with everything they say. That is stressful, and makes me want to run for cover. Why can't you just be the good genuine people you are? You don't care about my sexuality, why shoudl I care about yours??
I would sincerely appreciate answers from gay people who can educate me and answer my sincere questions.
Well if your question is why are you gay here goes

Since my childhood I have had attraction to members of the same sex. This became very apparent to me once I hit puberty and started fantasizing about boys. I'm gay because I believe I was born this way and there is nothing wrong with it. I also strongly believe it is genetic - a gay gene has already been discovered and manipulated in the animal kingdom. I'm happy being gay and don't see anything wrong with it. I have a great job and good family life and i'm well adjusted in society.

Why is sexuality the centre of your world

Well it truly is not! Most of us have jobs, family and TV addictions like everyone else. Being gay is about as big a part of me as being heterosexual is to you. If we do tend to be fixated it is because we as a group have grown up in a society that has never validated our sexuality from the get-go so yeah - there might be a bit of compensation going on and given what we've gone through - isn't it understandable to you

Old 06-04-2009, 02:50 AM

261 posts, read 944,242 times
Default I can try

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I too began having feelings for the same gender at a very early age (7). Unfortunately, due to ZERO role models providing an example of healthy gays or lesbians, I completely suppressed these feelings to my own detriment, while trying to conform to the straight world throughout adolescence. This is what I find to be one of the most hurtful things that rarely is even touched upon in these forums or in the mainstream media as well. There are thousands of children in our country right now who have NOWHERE to turn with the feelings they have inside. The majority of our society has no issue at all flaunting heterosexuality, so where does this leave an 8 year old who has an innocent crush on someone of the same gender in school? In my opinion they are left out in the cold.

I personally do not identify myself as a lesbian through conversational announcement, I do however introduce my partner to new people as "my partner", and I carry myself in such a way that most catch on fairly quickly. This I find is my responsibility to all who I come in contact with, as being a minority, I feel a personal responsibility to offer a healthy example of gay living in an effort to provide what was so severely lacking in my childhood.

I also would like to mention how the freedoms that heterosexuals have far outweigh that of gays and lesbians, be it social freedom or legal. This too hurts all of our citizens by creating a rift where none should be. Regardless of your religion, race, creed, social status, or personal opinion, gays and lesbians are truly no different in terms of our emotional needs, health needs, or social needs. We too would like to say how much we love someone openly and share with friends and family the same milestones that heterosexuals already take advantage of.

Additionally as humans, especially Americans, we learn how to partake in healthy relationships through trial and error combined with input in most cases of friends and/or family. If a gay or lesbian is in an abusive relationship, but know one knows they are in a same sex relationship, who does that person turn to to get help? This is repeated over and over again in the gay and lesbian community; too many have had no role models to show them how to live healthy lives and healthy relationships. I dream of the day that this conversation is nothing more than nostalgic.

Thank you for taking the time to read my opinions and comment if desired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates