Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Benjamin Franklin lived in a time when all hands had to be on deck to do what needed to be done to keep up. They couldn't just push a button and start an automatic machine that could do the work of 100 men. One man weighing 155 pounds could not sit in the cab of an earth mover and move thousands of tons a day.

Why do people still think that everybody needs to work, in order to keep American from running down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, why don't we talk about the elephant in the room, shall we?

Nobody talks about the enormous costs associated with the illegal alien population in California, from extra money for schools, social services, and healthcare. Round them up and ship them back across the border en masse, and you would see a huge reduction of California's deficit. Of course, nobody's got the political will to do that.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Sounds like a good Idea. You want a free ride. Not happining. How about work fair. There has to be something [ save for a few who really can not work] they can do to earn there keep.
But what about the alcoholic drug addict who hurt his back climbing through the hole in the roof while burglarizing the local convenience mart? Never thought about his welfare, his right to adequate housing, food and a little beer cash now and then did you?

Just kidding about that.

We got people around here on full and permanent disability because they suffer "anxiety attacks when working". What he heck is this all about?

Or can't work because they're an alcoholic drug addict suffering from "substance abuse issues".

I'm tired of paying the bill not only the cash that goes to the recipient but the cost associated with all those case managers and bureaucrats.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
California contemplates ultimate reform - no welfare

OUCH....this will hurt millions of very poor, destitute people...

Will the government just let people starve? Turn to crime? Riot in the streets?
My goodness, this doesn't make any sense! As long as there are people on this earth there will be those of us who can't work and some who cannot take care off themselves even if they wanted to. If California is going to attempt this they best be sure the guidelines are set so that those who really do need the help are not left out in the cold. This move cannot be a total cut off of help for people who need it and why in the world would California attempt something this bold??

I think the "Governator" needs to revisit this whole plan and see the bigger picture. I cannot begin to imagine the rioting and desperation of the poor people if this takes place. What is he thinking???

Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Benjamin Franklin lived in a time when all hands had to be on deck to do what needed to be done to keep up. They couldn't just push a button and start an automatic machine that could do the work of 100 men. One man weighing 155 pounds could not sit in the cab of an earth mover and move thousands of tons a day. Why do people still think that everybody needs to work, in order to keep American from running down?
I don't think it is a need for everybody to work as much as it is how many of us CAN work and are ABLE to work. In every state and I suppose in a lot of countries, there are people who can work but are ill or disabled and then there are those who try to beat the system and go on welfare because they are lazy. There has to be a way to weed out those who can work but won't. Of course there has to be jobs for the able bodied and there are not too many of those around right now.

The whole system of welfare and disability needs a major shake down as it is not balanced and never has been. When my late husband had his heart attack, his 5th, he was given a pat on his head by the medical staff and told to "go home". We went to Social Security to get him on disability and had all his medical records with us. We were told that he was ABLE to work and we were denied any sort of disability for him. He was a decorated Viet Nam Vet and we got no assistance from anyone. I did battle with Social Security for months. He died that November and back I went to Social Security. When I got to the desk of the clerk, she pulled my files and said "We told you Mrs........your husband doesn't qualify"...I told her "I'm not here to reapply I am here to tell you my husband is dead" and I walked out. What did they give my Viet Nam Vet for burial expenses? $255.00.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I don't think it is a need for everybody to work as much as it is how many of us CAN work and are ABLE to work. In every state and I suppose in a lot of countries, there are people who can work but are ill or disabled and then there are those who try to beat the system and go on welfare because they are lazy. There has to be a way to weed out those who can work but won't. Of course there has to be jobs for the able bodied and there are not too many of those around right now.

The whole system of welfare and disability needs a major shake down as it is not balanced and never has been. When my late husband had his heart attack, his 5th, he was given a pat on his head by the medical staff and told to "go home". We went to Social Security to get him on disability and had all his medical records with us. We were told that he was ABLE to work and we were denied any sort of disability for him. He was a decorated Viet Nam Vet and we got no assistance from anyone. I did battle with Social Security for months. He died that November and back I went to Social Security. When I got to the desk of the clerk, she pulled my files and said "We told you Mrs........your husband doesn't qualify"...I told her "I'm not here to reapply I am here to tell you my husband is dead" and I walked out. What did they give my Viet Nam Vet for burial expenses? $255.00.
THIS is a total DISGRACE for our Nation. I am a conservative, and I don't like many social programs, but I have ALWAYS advocated for better care for our military. If you have seen combat, IMHO, you should never have to SEE a medical bill, let alone PAY one! You should not be STUCK in VA hospitals, you should have your choice. Give you the same coverage the FATCATS in government have!! What have they done to EARN their benefits except tax us to death!

I am sorry to hear how poorly your family was treated after all they had sacrificed for our Country. Thank you, and your husband - God Rest His Soul - for your sacrifices and service!

Contrast this to the junkies who get food, shelter, hot meals, etc. Excuse me, I need to go vomit.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It would be less than a drop in the bucket for California. If 100 top stars ponied up for a million each, that 100-million would be 0.4% of the state deficit. One dollar out of 250. It sure is fun to blow other people's money, though, isn't it?
Well, I was just referring to the Welfare portion of the budget, the topic of the thread...but I cannot find the entire article not...the Sacbee has pulled it down, so I cannot get the amount now...

but, YES it is fun to blow other folks money! LOL! Hollywood would be able to save the Welfare program if they truly wanted to.

But, this is my prediction, this program will not be canceled. It is saber rattling at it's loudest. Just trying to get folks in an uproar, so they can cut elsewhere and people will say...Whew, at least we didn't have to cancel the welfare program!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Welfare should be a supplement to your income, not a replacement for it. All welfare recipients should be forced to work a minimum wage job at the very least before they can collect welfare benefits. None of this sitting around collecting checks and having babies nonsense. Get your ass out to work and if you can't make ends meet, the state can assist.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, why don't we talk about the elephant in the room, shall we?

Nobody talks about the enormous costs associated with the illegal alien population in California, from extra money for schools, social services, and healthcare. Round them up and ship them back across the border en masse, and you would see a huge reduction of California's deficit. Of course, nobody's got the political will to do that.
Who will pay the cost of rounding them all up and shipping them back? What happens if they think you are an illegal alien, and there is no due process means of proving that you belong here?

I'm going to have my phone and my cable installed in the name of an illegal alien, so there will be no tax added to the bill. Im going to have an illegal alien pump my gas for me, so there is no gas tax. Im going to have an illegal alien check out my cart at WalMart, so there is no sales tax.

Oh, wait, you mean those millions of people have to pay those taxes, too? What will happen to the liquidity of your electric company, when they get several million disconnect orders next month, after tooling up for all those customers? Just think of all the nice community centers you will have, with all those schools sitting empty.

Wait---here's an idea. Give all the illegals a green card and a social security card, and let them get tax-paying jobs. Then just use that revenue to balance the budget.

------------------

California's per capita budget deficit is more than double that of New Mexico, and NM has lots of illegal aliens, too. Why doesn't Arnold phone Bill Richardson and ask him how to run a mostly-Hispanic state without building up a big deficit.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-10-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
We can either offer a little support to a whole bunch of people, or a lot of support to a few.

But we can't offer a lot of support to a whole bunch of people. It's all in the deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates