Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:06 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times

Advertisements

First and foremost Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America. Over two hundred years later Tocqueville's seminal work still rings true regarding the American ethic.

As for more contemporary writers, I can't think of anyone who captures the nature of the country in toto. Clear Twain, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Baldwin, Huges and Wolfe capture the essence of different periods and classes but their works, at least to me, are more micro-analytical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:29 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,645,260 times
Other than our great National documents (Constitution, Bill of Rights, etc) and the Bible, I would say Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand might be a good one to read in our unsettled times. She outlines the destruction of a free, capitalist society by Big Brother government, while the people sit idly by, doing nothing to stop their demise.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,507 times
"Atlas Shrugged" is the most important literary work as far as influence. It radicalized the political right. Its readers created the Libertarian Party. Most of the thinkers in right-wing think tanks like Cato Institute, the most influential think tank in the country, are fans of the book. Margaret Thatcher's advisors were fans of it, too. It still sells over 100,000 copies a year 50 years after its publication.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
I'm going with the bible, as it has endured over time, has spawned different versions and nobody says they've never heard of it.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:48 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,693,433 times
OK, off the wall here.

While Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead made me say, "Well, of course!" And Democracy in America was very enlightening, I have to say that, for the common man's approach to personal independence, socio-political machinations and how to associate with them, an accent on living with reason instead of emotion, and long lasting impact, Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love" was the most simply rational and expository work. I cheerfully admit that I am a "science fiction" reader, but I am more of a Heinlein and Herbert (Dune) fan, because they don't just tell a surface story of future battles with fun toys, but show the behind-the-scenes development of, and avaricious need for, power that influences so many - and how one can subvert the heightened-emotional control of others without becoming their victims. While Rand is all about reason and rationality, Heinlein and Herbert give you backgrounds, what to expect from people and why, what drives them, as well as what conquers them. Plus I could introduce my children to them at an early age and not be pedantic. Lasting influence is not forced, but creeps into the mind via impressions, garnered knowledge, and experiences. Heinlein also had a vision of women as intelligent and respected equals, well ahead of his time in his writings, as did Herbert - without the fanatical or radical feminism. Again, common sense and reason, as well as turning their own enemies' wants and needs against them in whatever political times, direct their heroes' actions. Not everyone can be a John Galt - but anyone can be a Lazarus or Maud Dib.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Mickey Spillane. His were the first books that dared to openly say what people would omly admit to thinking in the privacy of their own thought. Spillane was the watershed that led to the "everything goes" permissiveness in entertainment and the arts. They were read by unimaginably large numbers of Americans, seven of the top 15 best selling fiction books in US history.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,232,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm going with the bible, as it has endured over time, has spawned different versions and nobody says they've never heard of it.

I agree. It was learning who I was In God....before I appreciated living in a nation Under God.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Since the topic specifies "American Spirit", is it the intention of the Bible nominators that God was speaking directly and specifically to the American people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates