Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Truth is....we probably can't compete in the global market with a degree in computers. The catch up may be brutal.

At the same time, if we have any confidence at all in American ingenuity, perhaps we can retake that market. Not sure. What do you think?

It has more to do with business owners being committed to an American workforce, and not offshoring or hiring HB-1 Visa workers because they will work cheaper. All of this "cheap cheap cheap" has ruined the economy. And they get cheap, and it isn't necessarily better for anyone all around.

The commitment to cheapness puts quality on the backburners.

American business owners have to think about what kind of world they are leaving for their own offspring, for this nation, when they take their business to China, just because it's cheaper.

As everyone jumped on the offshoring bandwagon, it made it impossible for anyone to compete by staying here.

But now it's all come full circle, because we Americans, who are their buying market, can't afford their goods now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You have alot to be proud of. No one helped me either, but my point is,
I can't worry about whose getting what for free. If a few kids eat and have a place to live because of my tax dollars, I'm okay with it. I don't have time to rant over it.

I'm not...I was responding to the one post about how someone should be able to go work and put themselves through college. I was saying it is a different time now, and the old rules don't apply.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Okay, Now I see what you meant. Times have changed.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
not so stupid lazy and unskilled will still get you a good job if you know how to work it.
but coupled with violent bad attiitude and snoop dog appearance its guna be rough rough rough.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Every competitive system eventually spirals out of control. Look at all the examples around us. Hackers and anti-virus software makers, spiralling out of control, and we pay. Criminals and law enforcement technology, racing upwards with more sophisticated methods., and we pay. Sports performance and steroids, we pay. Conventional warfare currently not working against terrorism as they race to outdo each other. Sooner or later, any system that is basicly competitive will race itself to death. Put a culture in a petri dish and toss in some nutrition. They will compete to the death and cease to exist. It's a law, that somehow we think we can break. We can't.

We are told that capitalism is the best way, because its competitiveness is the only path to advancement and increased production. But in fact, we are finding out that it is the fastest way to economic suicide and self-destruction. In the end, the system always crashes when it spins out of control and flies apart..

Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Most of the people I've met in my 53 yrs exhibit the traits of their family and peers. In my first five years, I lived with my white parents in moderately successful middle class Midwest America. I learned about Godliness, cleanliness, and getting a good education. At eleven, my mother left my father, and we became exposed to urban slums. My classmates were people of different ethnicities and cultures. Most of them were from families of multiple generations of poverty. I completed my education, including college. My education and Midwestern values gave me access to job opportunities. Many others have not enjoyed the privileges my color and education have made available to me in our historically bigoted society.Ignorant people are not stupid, nor lazy; they are uninformed. Humans that know their attempts will be met with resistance at best, and raw hatred at worst, have a tendency to not try. It isn't laziness, it's fear.Until you and your friends go into the neighborhoods and sincerely try to befriend people you know nothing about, your roundtable discussions are nothing more than breathing your own exhaust.Practice compassion and love for your fellow beings. The rewards are greater than the effort expended, every time.
GREAT POST!! I was brought up during the 50's and 60's..you know that "Leave It To Beaver" era. Well, my Dad was sick all the time with emotional issues, was abusive to my Mom and at times to us kids..five of us and we were always poor!! I can remember refusing to go to the school office and ask for free lunch because we had no money and taking the last egg in the box to hard boil, tossing it with what little mayo we had left and using some old, stale bread for a sandwhich. My sisters got free lunch but I held firm. To this day, I have a lot of tolerance and respect for people who are less fortunate than I am and have never considered any of them stupid or lazy. My Mom lived and worked through my father's illnesses and not one of my sisters or myself are stupid or lazy.

Poverty shows no color, no level of ignorance, no level of laziness and is for the most part not a chosen issue. It happens!! Yes, there are those folks out there who choose not to work but you cannot and should not ever say that there is a "certain race" or a "certain type" that fall into this category and still....I'll bet they are not stupid. God I hate that term.."stupid". God don't make no junk.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:59 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
You think everybody who wants a job can just walk up and get one, and the ones that don't are lazy?
Come to a small town and try to just walk up and get a job. In a town of 3000 people, a factory that had over 400 employees packed up and moved to Mexico. True, not all employees lived in the same small town, but they still have to find jobs. On some jobs in small towns it doesn't matter how much the job looks like it was meant for you, if you don't "know" somebody at that place of business, or if you're not related, you can forget getting the job. I just retired from my last job of 26 years working on the highways for the state. You think that's unskilled? We had to have at least 40 hours of training per year. One of my summer jobs was spraying weeds. Just walk up and grab a sprayer, right? You are required by federal law to take a training course every 2 years, followed by a test. If you don't pass, you don't spray. Do you know what 2,4-D kills? What should you not spray it on?
How much of a chemical should you spray per acre? Are you blacktopping? How many square yards of blacktop are there in a 16 ton load of hot blacktop? The right of way is 30 feet from the center line of the highway. If you're mowing, how many acres is there in one lane mile? There are lots of jobs where you can't get a man off the street, pull his finger out of his butt (I'm not talking about you this time) and put him to work. Now that I'm retired I can't find a job within 30 miles of here. My age (53) has something to do with it. Some want younger people who will make a career out of their job, not work maybe 10 years and quit.
So, before you call all unemployed lazy, get that silver spoon out of that Republican mouth (I can think of another opening you could put it in), get out from under Mommy and Daddy's check book, and take a look around at the real world.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I work for a company where there are a lot of people applying, but not that many people getting hired.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Generational poverty has created a permanent underclass; it's not their fault. There's nothing they can do to change it. Because they were raised in generational poverty, by parents also raised in generational poverty, they were not spoken to or stimulated during key periods of cognitive development, so they did not develop as many brain synapses.
Studies have been done that show that by the time they start kindergarten, children raised in generational poverty have been exposed to about 5000 words (many of them negative or inappropriate), whereas children from affluent backgrounds have been exposed to up to six times that many.
The children of the poor are also frequently exposed, in infancy and early childhood, to a variety of environmental toxins which affect both physical health and brain development. The inner cities are where our society dumps a lot of its toxins.

And as soon as they get into "the system"- usually when they begin school- they begin to face systematic discrimination.

They don't really have a chance.
In order to pull themselves out of generational poverty, they would have to be extraordinarily gifted; one in a million.
Whereas, in order to be successful in life, a middle-class person would only need to be average, and a person from an affluent, privileged background would have to really try spectacularly hard to fail.

Total absolute nonsense. One of the most interesting trends over the past forty years has been the emergence of a strong middle class among blacks.

The other factor that totally refutes your claim? The children of first-generation African and Caribbean black immigrants enjoy a higher household income than whites in this country. So it's not as if discrimination because of skin color is the problem.

In short, if you sit around and blame "the system" for endemic poverty, then you're really parroting a tired, discredited theory. There are plenty of avenues for economic advancement in this country. One simply has to avail themselves of them.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Total absolute nonsense. One of the most interesting trends over the past forty years has been the emergence of a strong middle class among blacks.

The other factor that totally refutes your claim? The children of first-generation African and Caribbean black immigrants enjoy a higher household income than whites in this country. So it's not as if discrimination because of skin color is the problem.

In short, if you sit around and blame "the system" for endemic poverty, then you're really parroting a tired, discredited theory. There are plenty of avenues for economic advancement in this country. One simply has to avail themselves of them.
I read her post twice. She said nothing about "blacks". Poverty is color blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates